PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Wood Show Venue

wheelinround
1st July 2010, 07:15 PM
I was reading with interest the Melbourne show thread and how it had been moved to another venue for a few reasons.

Last year rumours were abound of Sydney's show going to Rosehill Racecourse.

I find that the trip into town even though I am not driving is ARPIA traveling in for the opening of the doors for vendors and group stands. The home bound trip this year :~ both Friday and Saturday were pure disaster with accidents on Friday and the Footy at Telstra Oval Saturday Night.

Whats the chances of a move for Sydney.?

Whats Sydney's people's views.???

Jim Carroll
1st July 2010, 09:30 PM
I have asked this same question for years.

Move the show to where the woodies are, dont find many in the city.

Chatting to a couple of sydneyites on the friday evening drinks and they all supported the idea of a move to rosehill. I have not been there myself but from what they were saying it ticks all the boxes.

Would like liz's thoughts on this.

wheelinround
1st July 2010, 09:54 PM
Jim its people like yourself that it would also help (vendors form out of town) accommodation costs, parking fee's, the local vendors who often have staff sty in town. (ok so they miss out):;

Rosehill and Parramatta has good accommodation often at better prices as well as meals. I won't deny traffic coming in and out of Rosehill can be APIA with the bridge and industrial area. If the other entrance is used it is easier. Parking would have to be cheaper. I have been to a number of craft shows with Sue and often its FREE.

The Caravan and Camping show is held there yearly as well as other events besides horse racing.

Public Transport is close by, train station right at the door.

The other suggestion from some is move it to Panthers out at Penrith.

ian
1st July 2010, 10:54 PM
wheel'n
I remember the couple of years the Sydney show was at Homebush.
not too bad a place to drive to, but the walk back to the car park was a pain if you'd bought anything heavy.

Rosehill is really only accessible by car -- don't be fooled into thinking a train station means that there actually is a train. There's only one train each hour and even the City Rail info service suggests that if travelling from Penrith or Liverpool you should take a train to either Harris Park or Clyde and then walk the last 1.7km !

for all it's faults the old showground is readily accessible by Public Transport

Carry Pine
1st July 2010, 10:57 PM
For people South of Sydney, Rosehill would be easier.
I would be for the move. There is a busload of woodturners who would also find it easier.

Graham

Christos
2nd July 2010, 02:00 AM
I like the current venue of the Sydney show.

Yes parking can be a problem if you stay too long but it is close to door.

VEK TOOLS
4th July 2010, 02:35 PM
Interesting to see you guys thinking like that, i have been in discussions with rick,adam & liz about venue change as the stand costs will come down also, as we did do the national tradesmans expo there this year. It cost us as exhibitors 5x the price for 25 x the area(2500sqm:doh:) at rosehill. (But it cost me another $200 for pain killers & massages after producing a stand that size:no:...)

Only negatives are parking is on the fields & could represent dramas in getting from the parking to the exhibition area. Also alot of effort has gone in to maintain the quality of the show & growing the show on the organisers part & it is pretty risky moving to a new venue only 2 years into the new management.

It will be interesting to see what you guys want for your show....i know it would be 10x easier for us at rosehill as it is closer to bothe our branches

wheelinround
4th July 2010, 02:51 PM
Interesting in put so far

Ian I understand the railway situation but I did just say Station at the door for that matter its not even disable friendly.
I'd hate to be carrying some of the loads I see being thrown into vehicles at Sydney show home on public transport.:roll:

Christos think of the adventure you could have and experience :U

Vek Tools I am a little confused are you saying that the area you'd use at Rosehill would be bigger than you now use at Sydney. OR saying that in using the same size area would be cost effective for the business as well as personally (less pain killers, you can still have the massage @$150:;)

Claw Hama
4th July 2010, 02:55 PM
Comming in from Newcastle it doesn't bother me much either way. If we get bigger and better stands from the exhibitors that would have to benefit us as buyers.

Jim Carroll
6th July 2010, 10:13 AM
Liz thank you for your reply.

Unfortunatly not here now due to the computor glitch.

As you indicated you took over the Melbourne show 2 years ago when it moved to the Melbourne showgrounds, which was not a roaring succes but still ok.

The main faults with that was not you but the previous owners of the show for a lack of forethought in that they knew a year before hand that they were moving but did very little about it.

They could have given every customer who was at that last show at Jeff Shed a flyer indicating the move, but no it was deemed too hard. Their advertising prior to the show was mediocre at best so there quite a few people who went to Jeffs Shed only to find it was moved and decided for one reason or another that to go to the other venue was too hard.

Your resulting efforts have raised the bar for the show and that was proven last year with good crowds again.

With a move to Rosehill or homebush there seems to be an issue with parking , you overcame this with a shuttle service in Melbourne , can this be done at these venues as well.

May be it would be worth a poll of your exhibitors to find out if they would like a move or are happy with where they are. This would have to be done outside the forum as not all exhibitors use the forums.

Another poll here to give you customer feed back.

All helps in the decision making.

wheelinround
6th July 2010, 10:32 AM
:o I agree Jim a shame the other posts were lost.

Its obvious from what was in Liz's post that the thought is there and investigations have been done.

A poll is a good idea but from all sides Vendors, Groups, visitors.

You know I think even if it was in a large paddock die hard woodies would still turn up.

munruben
6th July 2010, 10:47 AM
When I lived in Sydney I always found it a bind to go to the show (but I always went nonetheless) , Rosehill would have suited me much better. I think die hard woodies will go to the show no matter where the location.

Sawdust Maker
7th July 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm not fussed either way, I've been to parra once or twice (where is it again?)

But if stands etc were cheaper then we might entice some businesses whom have not visited for a while to rethink ie people like Henry Bros etc