PDA

View Full Version : Technique

groeneaj
7th July 2010, 10:23 PM
Ok i'll try and explain myself the best I can.
At the show this year (Sydney) I watched as Neil Scobie showed a method of installing draws. He cut a dovetailed carcass to form a draw, but what has confused me is how he attached the draw to the actual frame.

He had a strip of timber that would sit under the far right and left of the draws attached to the frame. Now what did he put under the draw to make it glide with the strip under the draw? Make sence??

Cheers
Andy :2tsup::2tsup:

I_wanna_Shed
8th July 2010, 10:22 PM
Sorry, I can't help Andy. But I'll be watching for responses. I really wanted to catch this demo, but just couldn't get to it.

Nathan.

Poppa
9th July 2010, 09:04 AM
I was taught how to make a fine drawer at a class. We used hardwood for the edges of the draw bottom, and hardwood rails as the strips of timber attached to the frame (as you describe). So the hardwood bottom edges of the draw would run on the hardwood runners on the frame. And at the top of the draw we also had a strip to stop the draw tilting when it was pulled out.

I've only made one draw using this method, but it fits beautifully and seems to me as if it will last a very long time before the runners on the draw or frame start to wear. To make it slide nicely I just wax the bottom edges of the draw occasionally.

Is that what you mean?

Arron
9th July 2010, 11:40 AM
Might have been he used nothing - which might also explain why you missed that bit.
Depends what the drawer was made out of.

Arron