PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest

thumb trimmer
7th July 2010, 11:10 PM
Fellow turned formites...

I've got second tool rest for my MC1100, same length as the original, with the intentionof cutting down the second rest.

Can anyone suggest (from their experience) what size would be apt?

Alternatively, I've considered trimming only one of the sides, leaving the other at 'normal' length ...

What are peoples thoughts?

... and before anybody asks, I like to turn pens, bowls and various spindle items (eg. spinning tops).

regards
TT

orificiam
7th July 2010, 11:22 PM
Hi TT 150mm 6" would be a good size for pens
Cheers Tony.:)

Manuka Jock
8th July 2010, 07:18 AM
TT , when you cut it short , re-cut the taper too for use in small bowls etc.

brendan stemp
8th July 2010, 09:54 AM
I have a tool rest that extends out one side only from the tool rest post. I really like it because the tool post doesn't get in the way especially when I am supporting the timber with my hand. Not that I do a lot of pens but I think it would be a very good option for this use. Mine goes out to the right so I would suggest if you were to cut one side off make it the left hand side.

RETIRED
8th July 2010, 12:22 PM
I have a tool rest that extends out one side only from the tool rest post. I really like it because the tool post doesn't get in the way especially when I am supporting the timber with my hand. Not that I do a lot of pens but I think it would be a very good option for this use. Mine goes out to the right so I would suggest if you were to cut one side off make it the left hand side.Depends on whether you are left or right handed.:wink::D

Sturdee
8th July 2010, 01:10 PM
Depends on whether you are left or right handed.:wink::D

And if you're ambidextrous cut of both sides. :wink: :D

Peter.

Ozkaban
8th July 2010, 02:38 PM
I have a tool rest that extends out one side only from the tool rest post. I really like it because the tool post doesn't get in the way especially when I am supporting the timber with my hand. Not that I do a lot of pens but I think it would be a very good option for this use. Mine goes out to the right so I would suggest if you were to cut one side off make it the left hand side.

I had one like that too, but it came about more because of suspected poor casting combined with a bloody big catch, than any specific design requirement!

the tool rest snapped off right next to the post, and I did find the remaining portion useful for some jobs :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

John Lucas
9th July 2010, 03:26 AM
Well I have 4 not counting the curved ones. I have the original for my Powermatic which is 14" and the short rest which is about 5 or 6". I have one custom made by Robust that is 10 3/4".Robust Tools - Fine Woodturning Lathes, Tool Rests with Hardened Rod, Steady Rests and the Tilt-A-Matic (http://www.turnrobust.com/) It was designed just for turning my mirror handles but I like it so much I use it for almost everything. I may order another one that is 5" for my smaller work.
I have a www.bestwoodtools.com round tool rest that is mounted offcenter. It's about 9" but the mounting point is about 3 1/2 or 4" from one end. Since it's round you can rotate it 180 degrees and still use it the same way . That allows me reach inside bowls or around vessels without a huge amount of tool rest sticking out in space.