PDA

View Full Version : Virus Warning

BEKKY
12th July 2010, 03:51 PM
Hi all.
Last night my computer was infected with a virus. It's apparently called AVSuite antivirus.
It completely hijacked my computer, disabled my own anti virus program (AC anti virus or VET) and every thing else, and every time I cliched on anything it opened an address on the web that wanted to scan my computer and then purchase AVsuite anti virus for about $50.
Luckily I have a son who is computer savvy and he was eventually able to disable it after an hour's work.
Things seem to be working OK now.
A Google search shows this as a rogue program. My question is has anyone else had this problem .
Regards, Keith.

Cliff Rogers
12th July 2010, 05:03 PM
Google returns about 50,000 hits on it.

I have had to remove something similar from a couple of customer's PCs now, they usually get it from clicking on adverts in some of the move 'unsavoury' sites. :D

TermiMonster
12th July 2010, 07:19 PM
Hey Cliff,
Could you give me a couple of addresses for those sites. I'm interested in viruses, and I want to know what to avoid:doh:
TIA
TM

BEKKY
13th July 2010, 05:20 PM
Hi Cliff & TM.
I plead innocent to 'unsavory' sites. :no: What I did notice was that a box popped up to say that java was updating, and shortly after, Windows security put up several notices to say my computer was being attacked and everything locked up except the site to AVsuite anti virus.
Could it have been java?, I have looked in my installed program file and I have two instances of java.
My wife's computer doesn't show any reference to java. What does it do and is it really necessary? :~
Regards Keith.

Cliff Rogers
13th July 2010, 07:18 PM
Probley not Java, but it could have been something that used Java although, I don't really know how, it seems to lurk inside the adverts around some web pages.

damian
14th July 2010, 11:02 AM
malicious programs disguised as anti virus are becoming rather popular nowdays. Because more users are becoming cautious and anti virus programs are more widespread the people who want to attack your computer are becoming more devious and employing new tricks.

Security - Reviews and Price Comparisons from PC Magazine (http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,4829,00.asp)

Is a good site to read up and choose some protection. I got bitten a month or so back and now use several free virus and spyware checkers to keep my system clean. I couldn't get pandacloud to run but have malwarebytes, AVG, superantispyware and they seem to complement each other nicely.

Sapling
17th July 2010, 01:51 PM
Trojan Remover does a pretty good job of getting rid of that virus. No affiliation, used it to rid a friends computer on the same virus in another guise. The virus has been around for a while under a few different names and needs to be removed as quickly as possible before it does too much damage. The virus pops up its own fake warning saying your computer is infected.