PDA

View Full Version : Sandlewood for Pen Blanks

smidsy
6th October 2004, 05:25 PM
Anyone know of a place in Perth where I could get some sandle wood for pen blanks.
It's not listed on Carbatecs timber list.
Cheers
Paul

fxst
6th October 2004, 07:20 PM
I've planted a heap but you will hafta wait abot 8-10yrs before I can get some to ya :D
But bullock bush is a nice timber too
Pete

gatiep
7th October 2004, 01:53 AM
Paul,

Carbatec Perth have heaps of sandalwood for sale at $10-00 per kilo. When you walk through the machine showroom into the timber department, its in a box on your left hand side. Be careful you do not trip over it as it is quite close to the door, next to the area where they do their Saturday morning free demos.
Have fun.

smidsy
7th October 2004, 02:34 AM
Thanks Joe,
There's no mention of sandlewood on their website or the current timber pricelist.
In comparison to Timbercon, Carbatecs website really does let them down.
I'll get there and check it out.
Cheers
Paul

netfirm
7th October 2004, 12:04 PM
Are you serious? You must be looking at Carbatec Brisbane's website which is sparse and like Timbercon's just a shopping site. Carbatec perth site has a lot more content than Timbercon does. I check their demonstrations and newsletter there all the time.

PS guys, it's Sandalwood, not Sandlewood.

DanP
7th October 2004, 01:56 PM
Netfirm,

You enter dangerous waters picking on peoples spelling. It has been done before with VERY messy results.

Dan

gatiep
7th October 2004, 02:08 PM
Netfirm,

Sorry for the spelling mistake, I'm not at my best late at night, or early morning ! ( come to think of it...make that anytime!)

Paul,
Are you sure you are looking at www.carbatecwa.com.au (http://www.carbatecwa.com.au/) ??? Their site is very informative I think. I have asked about why sandalwood is not on the site and the reason is that it is not always available to sell. So when it comes in, it may be available for a few days or a few weeks, depending on the quantity and the number of sales. That is why it is important when popping in for something to take a tour of the place. Turning blanks is another item that comes and goes. I saw heaps of sheoak turning blanks there yesterday while on my regular tour through there. I saw some nice boards of camphor laural there, some cut into turning blanks and some still to be cut.

Pack a picnic basket, grab your passport and pay them a visit......mmmm on second thoughts, don't pack drinks as free tea and coffee is always available ( just help yourself) and cold drinks at $1-20 ex a coke fridge. The free tea ensures that I make a regular pitstop there, then browse and go home poorer in the pocket but much happier in the hart and shed!

Weekend's just around the corner...........have a good one!
Cya

:)

Alastair
7th October 2004, 02:27 PM
Joe

You forget that you live in a foreign country over there!

Perhaps someone should take our local Carbatech and rub them up against the WA version, in the hope that the infection spreads this way.

Alastair

:D

gatiep
7th October 2004, 02:55 PM
Allastair

I get you! I have noted even bigger and better improvements on the W.A. Carbatec site! Somebody is doing a lot of upgrading it seems....great stuff!

The sad thing is Paul also lives in this foreign country so he knows better! Just having you on Paul!

Cya

smidsy
7th October 2004, 03:56 PM
Hei Joe,
The Carbatec website is functional and is by no means the worst I've seen, but if they want to see how they can make it better they should check out
http://www.timbecon.com.au/browsecat.asp

They should take particular note of the turning chisel and router bit sections on that website.
In fairness I will say that while Timbecon wins on the website, Carbatec wins hands down on service, attitude and the deals they offer.

To me the Carbetec website is prettier but the Timbecon website is more functional and I think websites are a matter of personal taste. I personally don't care how pretty or ugly a site is as long as it's functional.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
7th October 2004, 08:21 PM
Hey Smidsy,

Just have a look how functional the Timbecon site is:

http://www.timbecon.com.au/products.asp?catid=12680&parentid=12679

Would be nice to know what they are selling and what it looks like.

I must agree with you.......that brochure is very informative.........lol, lol, lol.

The first item I clicked on is of no use! Seems like everybody has their day.

Have a great time turning Paul.
Cya around

:confused: .......:eek:.......... :o.......... ;)........... :p....................... lol

smidsy
7th October 2004, 09:14 PM
Hei Joe,
One dead link.
If you want to nit pick, 3 months ago Carbatecs timber price list was unavailable for about 3 weeks - they knew about it and took ages to fix it.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
7th October 2004, 10:02 PM
Paul, not nit pickin, just taking the Mickey out of you.

Have a great one