PDA

View Full Version : 1968-era Cherub Class dinghy

sandbar
15th July 2010, 11:48 PM
Hey there,
I've rescued a Cherub from the tip that I'm slowly restoring, but apart from replacing existing bits, I have no idea what's missing or how to rig it. Sail number is 1346 which points to a late '60s registration.
Looking for *any* help possible if anyone's available to suffer through a few potentially bleedingly obvious questions.
Cheers, Barry

Darce
16th July 2010, 12:36 AM
Lots of info on the Cherub Association's website (http://www.cherub.org.au/).

Boatmik
16th July 2010, 10:36 AM
Also there was an NS14 picked up from a tip last year and quite a bit about that was discussed on this forum.

Would probably be worth looking through that to pick up some of the discussion and decision themes.

Darce's idea of looking on the Cherub site might be a good one for picking up some sails maybe, but the cherubs have changed so much that a lot of the gear may not be suitable. Also you could look at the NS14 site as the two boats are quite similar in some ways and an NS14 rig would give you a more conservative sailplan - 100 sq ft vs 112.

That is actually the first decision point. If the boat is reasonably complete it is a really good candidate for getting back into sailing trim. But if a lot of stuff is missing then it might not be economical - cheaper to build something from scratch if you have to buy sails or lots of missing fittings and parts.

MIK

andrew allan
16th July 2010, 07:25 PM
A patient gave me a crappy old NS14 a few years ago that needed new foredeck and bulkheads. It was my first attempt at anything related to boat restoration, and it has come up really well. Fortunately all the rigging and sails were with the "wreck", so it wasn't that hard to re-rig it.

Am happy to post piccies if anyone interested, but will need to take them in order to do so. Which means I'll have to rig it up and do them, but this is good, as I'm not that interested in sailing, and need to take some piccies to sell it on ebay!

My email is [email protected] if you are after specific piccies of the NS14 rig

sandbar
18th July 2010, 06:15 PM
Already have a 6m mast/spar and five sails (main, jib x2, spinnaker x2), so it's just about getting the thing floating again. Will look into the 14 restoration and see what I can apply to my case.
Will post pix when I get a chance.