PDA

View Full Version : Bush Furniture

Timmay47
16th July 2010, 03:43 PM
Hi I am new to this forum, I would like to know if any one has tip, plans or sugestion on how to go about making a rocking chair from rough unmilled timber, and is it better to make it with green wood or seasoned wood.

Any sugestions welcome, I have the three most inportant things already, the idea, Time and access to 150 Acres of timber.

Eldanos of KDM
6th September 2010, 11:45 PM
150 acres of Bushland? Leave the trees standing until they're ready to fall!! We're running out of tree in Sydney!

Travis Edwards
11th September 2010, 10:13 PM
Green is good and is easy to work, and is actually an advantage in a lot of ways. There is some good info about green working wood all over the net and the Timelife series called The art of wood working has some good info in it.:2tsup::2tsup:

Twinnie
31st October 2010, 08:31 PM
green wood is great, but if you have 150 acres of standing trees, then there will be some freshly fallen ones, use those :)

do you have a chainsaw? you'll need one unless you are realy fit and have a cross cut saw. i have 2 cross cut saws, and you can cut an inch then rest for a minute!

other tips from the top of my head, bruise the bark with the pole (back) of an axe all over the wood and it should come off easier. a draw knife is a realy handy thing to have, you can make one from a 300mm planer blade. also try making a stool first before tackling the rocking chair you can learn alot from a stool. (just ask any one who tracks animals :P )

Cheers

Matt