PDA

View Full Version : casuarina . anyone interested?

Simo
6th October 2004, 09:38 PM
G'day, Ihave some RiverSheoak planks quarter sawn 140x35 and 180x35 all 3.7 long. Planks are recovered standing dry. If anyone is interested or some knowledge on Casuarina as a furniture timber or its demand for furniture production is available,please reply. Thanks Simo

leighd
6th October 2004, 09:48 PM
what does river sheaoak look like? i have some sheoak but i dont know what type it is. It is lightbrown/white.

Simo
6th October 2004, 10:22 PM
The RiverSheoak I have is pale brown sapwood to pink almost red heartwood. It has a few tight knots and is fairly dense. I have some dry Sheoak slabs from further inland (east coast) with heartwood that is darkbrown.

journeyman Mick
6th October 2004, 10:43 PM
What little I have seen written about sheoak stresses that while it has striking figure it tends to be too unstable to use in larger sections and for furniture. I believe it's more generally used for decorative work. However, nowadays with high tech adhesives and people working in innovative ways with timbers once considered unfit for joinery or furniture there may be a demand for it. I love the look of it but have never gotten a hold of any large logs or boards, so have never played with it. A bloke I know uses it for custom knife handles.

Mick

Simo
6th October 2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback Mick. I have heard that it was once used as spear heads by some very old Australians. Idid use it once on an outdoor table. Coach screws seem to hold it together and allow the joints to be tigthened later on. It machines nicely but is a little harsh on H.S.S.

whiskers
7th October 2004, 12:07 AM
:) Im jointing 70mmx18mm casurina stricta and glauca as cheese boards, seems to work well.

goodwoody
7th October 2004, 12:47 AM
3 years ago I had about 6 trees milled from the Lockyer Valley. The **** seems to be clogging up t he waterways in that area. At the time of milling the timber seemed soft and quite pleasant. After stacking very well in a hay shed for 2 yearts the resulting timber was some very twisted boards. The size were mainly 6x2 and 6x1 1/2 4x4 ect, not very wide boards.
I have machined some and it is extremely figured with the typical medullary rays of oak, hard as **** and not friendly to machines. I believe it is not very durable but in an enclosed area is a groovy timber and will last for many generations.

himzol
7th October 2004, 10:32 AM
Simo,

Where is "north arm cove"? as this would have a bearing on whether I want to get the timber or not (freight etc..).

Himzo.

gstring
7th October 2004, 05:58 PM
HI SIMON ,

SEE YOU FOUND THE WEB SITE................. KEEP TRYING

SEE YA DAVE :p

JackoH
7th October 2004, 06:10 PM
Casuarina cunninghamiana. (River Sheoak)

Simo
7th October 2004, 10:25 PM
G'day, Himzo I'm on the N.S.W mid north coast. Dave thanks for the tip and JackoH, I don't know if the Australian botanist/explorer Allan Cunningham has any other discoveries or flora named after him or where he hung his hat. It would be Interesting reading if I could find it. Goodwoody Have you still got the timber, have you constructed something from it? take it easy. Simo

journeyman Mick
7th October 2004, 10:44 PM
........I don't know if the Australian botanist/explorer Allan Cunningham has any other discoveries or flora named after him or where he hung his hat........

Aurakaria Cunninghamii - Hoop Pine (I think)

Mick

goodwoody
8th October 2004, 12:53 AM
Simo I only made some small items like toilet roll holders and some coasters. Came up well with the eee polish wax.

barnsey
8th October 2004, 01:30 AM
Simo,

I'm on the Tweed and would be pleased if you were up this way to drop in.

PM me if you want to talk, swap or compare notes. ;)

Jamie