PDA

View Full Version : Another Melbourne entry

powderpost
17th July 2010, 11:21 AM
This is another entry I sent to Melbourne. It is about 350mm diameter and took about three weeks to complete after something like four failures. Made from black walnut, silver ash and acacia cedar and finished with spray on lacquer. It took me about six months to develop a technique to get the curved joints right. It won second place, beaten by a platter made from a single bit of wood, :( made by that weird and wonderful bloke that lives in Melbourne. You know, that fellow that is ok from the neck down.. :D. He better watch out, I want his crown. :D:D:D.
Jim

Manuka Jock
17th July 2010, 11:28 AM
:2tsup:

woodworm1
17th July 2010, 02:18 PM
nice work

jefferson
17th July 2010, 05:38 PM
It won second place, beaten by a platter made from a single bit of wood, :( made by that weird and wonderful bloke that lives in Melbourne. You know, that fellow that is ok from the neck down.. :D. He better watch out, I want his crown. :D:D:D.
Jim

Dunno Jim about the neck down stuff. Maybe a nice bloke from around the knees and down. I'd say more, but the mods would crucify me.

Jim Carroll
17th July 2010, 05:53 PM
Dunno Jim about the neck down stuff. Maybe a nice bloke from around the knees and down. I'd say more, but the mods would crucify me.

So would Helen :oo:

Sawdust Maker
17th July 2010, 09:08 PM
Jim

an extremely well crafted piece of work :2tsup:

orificiam
17th July 2010, 09:34 PM
Beautiful work Jim, As usual.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
17th July 2010, 11:41 PM
Jim, this is mind boggling well done.
For me you deserve the winning price.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
18th July 2010, 08:20 AM
Jim that is a stunning piece in every respect!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Ed Reiss
18th July 2010, 12:00 PM
what they all said +1 :2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
18th July 2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Jim

Both you and that "from the neck down" bloke (I wonder who started that?) have too much time on your hands and need to get a hobby.:)

Ever thought about stamp collecting?:oo:

Even though I don't care for segmented work, I admire the skill involved in conceiving and making such detailed work.:2tsup:

My attention span is way too short to even think about such stuff.

Cheers

Tim:U

KenW
19th July 2010, 11:06 AM
This is another entry I sent to Melbourne. It is about 350mm diameter and took about three weeks to complete after something like four failures. Made from black walnut, silver ash and acacia cedar and finished with spray on lacquer. It took me about six months to develop a technique to get the curved joints right. It won second place, beaten by a platter made from a single bit of wood, :( made by that weird and wonderful bloke that lives in Melbourne. You know, that fellow that is ok from the neck down.. :D. He better watch out, I want his crown. :D:D:D.
Jim
Jim, when it comes to glueing pieces of wood together you are the best.
I can only turn wood, so I am aware my skills are limited. I will do my best to try and keep up with you.

Christos
19th July 2010, 11:25 AM
finished with spray on lacquer. ...... It won second place,

Must have been the spray on lacquer that let is down? :U

Lovely work.

Tiger
19th July 2010, 11:40 AM
Wow! Great work!

I would have probably quit after the second failure :).

Tim the Timber Turner
19th July 2010, 11:52 AM
Interesting that many turners in Qld spray their work rather than use an oil or friction finish.

I first noticed this back in the 1980's.

Must be a regional thing, or maybe follow the leader?

Cheers
Tim:)

KenW
19th July 2010, 06:03 PM
Interesting that many turners in Qld spray their work rather than use an oil or friction finish.

I first noticed this back in the 1980's.

Must be a regional thing, or maybe follow the leader?

Cheers
It's not just the Queenslanders that use spray on Lacquer.

Manuka Jock
19th July 2010, 06:09 PM
there is spray on and then there is spray on.
personally I like the stuff that has dust and grit in the finish , it gives it character :U

Tim the Timber Turner
19th July 2010, 06:19 PM
It's not just the Queenslanders that use spray on Lacquer.

I'm not suggesting that it was only Queenslanders.:no:

Just that you seem to see more lacquer finishes on work from that part of Aus.

Likewise, I'm not suggesting that one type of finish is better than another.

Whatever rows your boat I say.

Or to be more constructive.
Find a finish that works for you and learn how to use it to show off your work to it's best advantage.

Cheers

RETIRED
19th July 2010, 06:41 PM
Not out of a can but a gun.

Feeling no pain after a good session.:wink::D

powderpost
19th July 2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments.
Must be a bit cold in the south, you lot are getting too passive. Been cold up here lately, had to resort to wearing a singlet during the day. :wink: :D

I some times use friction polish, especially on the harder timbers. I prefer grain fillers and lacquer on the more open pored stuff more common up here. But that is a personal preference. It dries and hardens quickly and can be finished with french polish techniques or abrasives. And yes the spray gun is by far the better job.

Jock, I call that the non slip finish. :D

Jim

Manuka Jock
20th July 2010, 11:36 AM
Jock, I call that the non slip finish. :D

Jim
Also great for folks who don't dust too often :2tsup: