PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw dust extraction.

echnidna
6th October 2004, 10:37 PM
Is it better to use a dust collector or a shopvac with a scrollsaw?

scooter
8th October 2004, 12:09 AM
I don't have a DC but have a vac plumbed above & below the table, under collecting at full hose size where blade goes through table & above by reducing vac hose down to 1/2" or so & jury rigging it to suck where blade enters work. This method seems to have cut out most (alll?) the airborn dust, oh & have disconnected dust blower.

You may find it useful to use an old Electrolux vac or similar, provides plenty of suck but runs really quietly which is better if you are scrolling for a while.

My 2c....HTH....................cheers..........Sean

oges
8th October 2004, 01:37 AM
My new saw can take dust extraction etc but I havent hooked anything up to it as yet. I too thought about the noise of the vacuum if I was to connect one of those, might go see if Godfreys have any old Electrlux and see how quiet they are.

scooter
8th October 2004, 11:53 PM
Worth a look Brett, try garage sales too. Godfreys referred to the model to look for as the "old twin fan model" , which is the classic old version probably conjured up by the "old Electrolux vac" moniker.

Sucking away the dust beats the hell out of the blower, less crap in the nose & eyes after a few hours spent scrolling.

I had it hooked up through the Triton dust bucket but now use those hoses with a small cyclone I've made, either works at keeping the dust from clogging the vac.

Cheers...............Sean