PDA

View Full Version : What type of flooring

jafford
19th July 2010, 12:29 AM
Hi all,

I have just had a fantastic shed/studio built and am not sure as to which way to go with the flooring. The shed is 8x5 and will be used as a multipurpose room, with a pool table one end, storage the other and and a heavy and light workbench either side.

I intend to do only light work in the space, build model aeroplanes etc. but have setup the heavy bench with vice, bench grinder etc. Internally it is lined with gyprock, painted and has a ceiling etc.

There is currently yellow tongue laid on the joists (it's not on slab) and I was thinking:

(i) polyurathene or similar mineral based product to seal the yellowtongue and provide some protection. Would require a sand to get rid of paint blobs etc.
(ii) industrial carpet - canned the idea on the basis of dust in the space.
(iii) click flooring laminate 7mm.
(iv) do nothing!

I was initially set on (i) but there is a reasonable amount of work in this - is the click type flooring ok? Whilst a reasonably amount of work will happen in the space I think the biggest issue will be dropped tools etc. and maybe the odd stray billiard ball rather than heavy work.

Is the 7mm laminate durable enough? I guess I can always remove it if it's no good after 10 years but don't want to be doing this after 6 months!

Any ideas / comments appreciated.

And yes, I do have a beer fridge....:2tsup:

Cheers

Manuka Jock
19th July 2010, 02:22 PM
Jafford , check out this video for good reasons for having a white floor in a workshop
Woodturning Workshop - Shop Tour! on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/9888159)

Rhys_holland
29th July 2010, 10:50 AM
great video quite a few good ides in it but the flooring isnt untill right at the end

Yonnee
30th July 2010, 11:54 AM
(v) A light grey paving paint. Will seal the yellow-tongue as well as making it easier to find dropped screws and nails, and will brighten the room even more.

Manuka Jock
30th July 2010, 03:19 PM
great video quite a few good ides in it but the flooring isnt untill right at the end
Yeah , great eh , that way we see all the good stuff , not just the white floor :2tsup: