PDA

View Full Version : Snakes on the move watch out for your pet

munruben
20th July 2010, 09:34 AM
My daughter breeds British Bulldogs and on Sunday, her champion stud dog and pet she uses for breeding, was bitten by a brown snake and unfortunately died after several hours of trying to save him. The dog was only 5 years old and was her first male bulldog. She is heart broken over him, He was a beautiful animal. He was taken to the vet at 5pm and after having vaccine administered he still continued to go downhill. More vaccine was rushed to him from a Hospital in Brisbane as a last resort but he died at 2-30am on Monday.
Please watch out for your pets in the garden and try to remove any objects that snakes love to live in such as old pipes or piles of wood or bricks etc. It is unusual apparently for snakes to be on the move this time of year but this one was so maybe there are more around.
Just take care and be on the lookout for any signs of snakes. Make sure your pet is kept out of long grass and if in a kennel, keep it out of long grass or away from shrubs where snakes may be.
My daughters dog was a valuable stud dog but to her he was much more than that, he was her special pet that she loved very much.. He cannot be replaced as a stud dog or as a loving pet, He will be sadly missed by all the family.

wheelinround
20th July 2010, 09:42 AM
It is strange time of year John for it to happen sorry for your daughters loss.

Not only pets but children if snakes are on the hunt so early.

Claw Hama
20th July 2010, 09:46 AM
Yes, usually, at lease September around this way. Terrible for your daughter.

Mr Brush
20th July 2010, 02:03 PM
Yup - down our way the months with an 'r' are the snakey months. September through to April. They probably get an earlier start up north.

Very sorry to hear about the dog.

chambezio
20th July 2010, 02:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the demise of the Bulldog. You do get attached to the things, no doubt.

It used to be said that snakes hibernated during winter but that myth has been busted more times than not. The cold does make them doughy but if a winter's day is right for them then they are about!
I don't like to see them in the back yard, as the dogs (2) are outside all day. Last year we killed the first 1 around September followed by another 5 up until April. They have their place in nature and I would never like to see them die out BUT they are deadly things to stumble on and you could be very dead in an agonising way if you are not vigilant
I know the Law says they are protected but I'm sorry not on my place!

Bluegum
26th July 2010, 08:27 PM
John,
Sorry to hear your news. We lost a dog nearly 4 years ago to a brown snake here at home. It was an extremely sad day for us as well as we were there with her when she passed. Or thoughts go out to you all during this time.:2tsup: