PDA

View Full Version : Timber and Working With Wood Show - Adelaide

Whittling
21st July 2010, 08:40 PM
G'day all,

Just a reminder to all SA'ers that the Timber and Working With Wood Show is on THIS WEEKEND, 23rd to 25th July, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm all three days, in the Jubillee Pavillion, at the Wayville Showgrounds.

We didn't get a WWWS last year and this year is being done with a close eye to see if it is worthwhile continuing. Its a terriffic show to anybody who likes to work in wood so come on Adelaide... get out there and support them!

I for one would hate to see it disappear for lack of attendees.

By the way, for those of you who do make it, come say hello. I'll be doing whittling demos and talking tools and sharpening on the 'Waitpinga Whittling' stand all three days. Be nice to put faces to some of the names I've had the pleasure of chatting with over the months.

For a great deal, go here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f190/adelaide-t-www-show-special-entry-2010-a-119780/ Added by .

Frank&Earnest
22nd July 2010, 05:57 PM
It will be a pleasure. Don't know about lurkers, but unfortunately, as you know, only a handful of SA wwrs is in this forum. As far as I know, though, most of the 300 plus members of Woodgroup SA will be there. As customers. :oo::D

Durdge39
22nd July 2010, 08:44 PM
As I am coincidentally in Adelaide for trade school this fortnight, I will also be attending. A considerabl budget has arisen for tooling too, so I may join the ranks of a customer; the joy is already upon me.

Is there any particular day that has the best turn out? I would like to see the show in it's full glory if i can.

I'll be the long haired git walking around looking at anything with a good deal on it :D look for an Adelaide Biplanes shirt and possibly a calvin klein beanie.

See you there.

waky53
22nd July 2010, 09:26 PM
Will try & get there, depends on what the boss wants to do.

Durdge39
24th July 2010, 05:55 PM
Well I just arrived back to my accommodation after a good few hours at the expo. I must say, those events are dangerous, dangerous places for wallets, so many desirable things there to sap you of your savings :oo:

However, I enjoyed every cent of the entry fee, and think it was more than worth it. I even walked out with an adj mouth LA Lie Nielson block plane under my arm, among a couple other things (first impressions of plane to come shortly).

The displays were great - the fella with the stubby lathe put on a good show on turning bowl out of Huon Pine; the smell was beautiful. I saw the great work of the Whittling club, marvelous work there guys and gals.:2tsup:

Even saw the forum #1 man himself, showing off some of his great products (sorry Niel, would've bought something but had to refrain after the plane :B).

All in all a wonderful day, and a pat on the back to all exhibitors, dealers, attendees and organisers. Well done.

BeanerSA
24th July 2010, 06:35 PM
I ended up with a day off yesterday, and wasn't feeling the best, but as I am working all weekend, I took the oppurtunity to head in. I used my voucher from here :2tsup: Was about as big as I had expected it to be. There were a lot of people there.

Spent a while watching Neil Scobie work, was very interesting. Had a mooch around the stalls, wasn't much I hadn't seen before, but I did enjoy the guy who had brought all the Tassie timber. Gave me lots of ideas (gonna need a bandsaw). I was in the market for a router and picked up the Triton at $40 off.

scooner
24th July 2010, 07:54 PM
a sad day for woodworkers in adelaide , just one thought on the matter very average,

Frank&Earnest
24th July 2010, 08:19 PM
Well, Friday was daughter's birthday lunch, today was Xmas in July with the club, tomorrow will be WWW Show day. Hoping they have not sold everything and packed already...:wink::D

Durdge39
24th July 2010, 08:45 PM
a sad day for woodworkers in adelaide , just one thought on the matter very average,

Mind elaborating to back that up a bit? :?

Sir Stinkalot
24th July 2010, 09:28 PM
It would be interesting to have the comment explained. As I have stated in another post the Adelaide show was very similar to Melbourne with only a few minor differences and I felt it was a good show. If the Adelaide woodworkers aren't interested in supporting the show then why should the show support Adelaide? Perhaps if you have an issue you should voice your concern as based on the last few shows the organizers seem to listen to feedback with the view of improving the show where possible.

scooner
24th July 2010, 11:28 PM
beanersa i agree" not much i hadnt seen before" ,
there is a lot of new stuff out there why wasnt it at the show ??
i use the net quite a lot and was hoping to see some NEW gear , is this not the main reason for the show ,maybe some feedback from previous exhibitors may give us a clue how to improve it ,or what about forum members giving us their thought s on the matter ,
compared to previous shows there seemed to be a lot less exhibitors" why "
i know i have spent my fair share towards the continuation of the show to local and interstate suppliers .
i will keep this years programme and do a comparison on the next show ,
what i would like to see at these shows is more of what people have made ,and how they made them ,we can all stand in a shop and look at machinery ,or read a book ,
a show is a show ,
i dont mean to offend anyone and i know a lot of effort is made to put such shows on but this is just how i feel , regards scooner

Durdge39
25th July 2010, 09:47 AM
Valid points there Scooner. I also noted that there was a lot of retailers compared to demo's and interactive stalls. The lads demonstrating on their lathes attracted quite a crowd when they fired up their machines.

Having the retailers there is not quite like being in a shop though, as there is so much hands on gear. You wouldn't have access to a full arsenal of Veritas and LN hand planes to maul wood with anywhere else. It also provides a place for those of us in remote areas to get a feel for the quality of all those brands of machinery that just isn't stocked anywhere near us.

I will admit there wasn't any tooling that I did not recognise. But experiencing a tool is different to reading about it on the internet.

If there was something I would like to see it would be a gallery of objects made using the very tools they are trying to sell us, made by everyday woodworkers. A sawstop demo would've been great to see as well :D

As with anything there is room for improvement, and solid feedback is what's needed to move forward I guess.

coffenup
25th July 2010, 07:15 PM
had fun at the show today & again I spent more than I budgeted for but next time I going with at least a grand to buy some more shed toys.
worked out if i had $6000 to spend my shed would be nearly finished
and thank you to all that were doing the demo's I learnt some new things and got interested in other aspects of woodworking
regards Michael

Fencepost2
25th July 2010, 11:27 PM
I spent all day Saturday at the show, and I spent quite a lot on a variety of consumables. I can understand Scooner's point that he didn't find much stuff that was new for him. Fortunately for me there was a lot that was new. Liz Scobie's demonstrations of what you can do with paint on wooden art objects was an eye opener for me and the ideas are going to keep me busy all through the next year. I picked up so many clues from watching Neil Scobie work, and felt really good that I had already absorbed many techniques in my own cabinet and chair building - but the added insight into methods that I picked up were in themselves worth going to the show. And, when I spent a half hour at a demo on finishing with Neil I learned a whole lot of reasons why my finishing has always been a bit sub-standard. And I can't wait to get to use my swansdown mop and EEE on some boxes to finish. I have to say that Saturday was one of those peak days for me. I just hope there was enough commercial support to justify another show next year.

BeanerSA
25th July 2010, 11:41 PM
I just hope there was enough commercial support to justify another show next year.

That was my prime reason for attending....so I hope that was achieved.

Frank&Earnest
26th July 2010, 12:52 AM
No surprises, but no disappointment either. I do not have the patience and the acuteness of hearing required to follow the presentations, so I can't comment, but the fame of the speakers should be sufficient in itself.

Whittling: You are very hard to get, I could hardly say two words... when I said your clients were more important, you agreed and disappeared...:U

Sir Stinkalot: about same number of exhibitors as in Melbourne? Up to what number can you count? :U

Met Jim Carroll for the first time and buttonholed Neil to get myself up to scratch with using his products. Warning to all woodturners: woodturners who do not use his products aren't any good. :U

Didn't spend much because I do not wait for the WWW to buy the toys I "need" to have, but still managed to fritter 50 bucks in little things that look fun to try. McJing is just evil from that point of view. As Whittling said once, IIRC, if you can keep it under $10 everybody buys it without a second thought. There probably was some good deal as timber was concerned, but I could not really justify adding to the few tonnes I already have. I have calculated that at current rates of consumption I need to turn and carve until I am about 250. The medical profession needs to do a much better job that is doing so far to get me there.

China
26th July 2010, 02:35 AM
I was not disapointed with the show, diferent people expect different things I guess. I spent over $1000, mainly on interstate items that I normaly have to wait for. What did concern me was the the lack of patronage, every one complained when it did not happen last year (myself included)
WHERE THE BL%$DY HELL WERE YOU I was at the show with a mate for 41/2 hours on Saturday if I was diapointed with the turn out I can only imagine what the exhibters were thinking. Lets hear from some of the exhibiters on what they thought of the turn out maybe over the three days it was worth it. One thing I would like to see at the shows is a judging of locally made items

Sir Stinkalot
26th July 2010, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't say that the number of stalls was anywhere as high as Melbourne however the variety of stalls was similar. For example Melbourne may have 5 timber stalls, Adelaide 2, which is to be expected at a smaller show. Melbourne does however have a big display from one or more of the local clubs demonstrating what has been made and often the ability to speak with the makers or purchase items. There is also the hand tool preservation group.

In previous years they did have displays from the local woodworking schools which provided that next step up in quality and design to a lot of the hobby work around. This was quite interesting to be able to look over and it may be something that the organizers can look at trying to get back for future shows. Perhaps if the space is given for cheap/free it may be rewarded in increased door numbers.

Frank&Earnest
26th July 2010, 12:23 PM
Hear, hear. You have put the finger on what I believe is the main point of difference with last week's show and the main reason why the local guilds have opted for that one.

The killing factor in a small place like Adelaide is that the number at any given time of potential buyers of long lasting items is insufficient to justify exhibiting on short term commercial grounds: if the exhibitors come, they do it because they write off the immediate loss as a cost of long term advertising to establish their name.

And I do not mean necessarily the thousand dollar machines: as I was apologetically telling Neil, I have one of each of his main products, but it takes years for me to go through them.

And maybe I was more aware of the absence of some of the exhibitors I saw in Melbourne because they were those I was most interest in: Arbortech, Dremel and Sherwood.

IMHO the way to ensure the survival of the show is for the producers (i.e. Neil :wink: ) or importers of specific items, especially those that are new on the market (Scooner's point), to have them demonstrated non stop by people who know very well what they are doing (not like the guy who relieved the Tormec girl during a break. :D). The local retailers would do well showing the full range of what is available locally, but I can not see how coming to Adelaide would be worth an interstate retailer's time: if they are importers of specific products not marketed locally, they need to exhibit just those as said above. Timber from WA or Tasmania are cases in point. No much point having there three retailers of Pfeil chisels if they do not have the specific one I am after: I'll just drop in on Magill Road at the first opportunity. Demos not related to products become less important to attract people and two days will be ample time for the targeted customers to pop in, but the area needed will be smaller and the cost of entrance can be reduced to a bare minimum to maximise attendance.

Tankstand
26th July 2010, 06:00 PM
For example Melbourne may have 5 timber stalls, Adelaide 2

I counted 4, no wonder the poor Glowacki people looked so depressed hiding behind that back wall!:oo:

Christopha
26th July 2010, 09:41 PM
i enjoyed my three days at the show. It was great to catch up with mates from way back and it was beaut to meet new folk. I thought that the organisers did a fantastic job considering that the chance of them coming out on top financially wasn't great. It am very impressed that they still put on the best show they could with rest areas, promos, demon demonstrators and lots of small things that the general public don't notice. It was also interesting to hear exhibitors discussing how they could improve their own stands, displays and demos.
I think that South Australians, which includes me, should be thankful for what they received, amen!

Jim Carroll
26th July 2010, 10:11 PM
I suppose the question should be asked of the SA public who are quick to condem the show as to why we should come back after such a low response, just lucky to have 4000 people over the 3 days.

We did approach the show with a very low expectation as there was not a lot of pre show interest.

We do the shows to promotote ourselves to one and all and let everyone see what we have first hand.

There was the largest amount of demonstrations and demonstrators at this show compared to other shows in adelaide in the past.

Demonstrators do need a rest during the day and the fill ins are obviously not going to be as well versed in the product but they do try to do their best.
If you want more info it will not be that long before the main demonstrator or informed person comes back.

The general talk is that there was a great dissapointment that the guilds were not there to show their wares and have finished goods for sale. They had been asked by one of their local representatives but decided that they did not need to fly their flag because they were not gaurenteed to have a show every year. Even heard one person complain that they were not given anything in writing, but did they try to call the organisers to clarify anything, again a big NO.

You would think that any opportunity to show themselves would be a big plus.

The general concensus is that the show will still be every second year with maybe condensing it down to 2 days.

My thoughts are that this would be good as the crowd will still come and the feeling will be more upbeat.

We thank all the people that came to the show, it was great to meet old freinds and put faces to the people we only talk to on the phone and to meet a lot of new people. We thank you and do hope to see you all again.

Regards Jim & Irene
Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies.

Frank&Earnest
27th July 2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks for confirming my analysis, Jim. The same 4000 people would come through in 2 days. Still think that two years is a long time to wait though, especially for whose who hope to catch the guy who has been saving for the big occasion. We are mostly of an age group with shorter term expectations. My apologies for the little humour I tried to insert about the Tormec guy, it was not meant as a criticism. I should not have assumed that it would be obvious to everybody that it was of no consequence in the big picture, thank you for spelling it out for anybody for whom it was not.

Christopha
27th July 2010, 06:16 PM
I would like to say that Mel the lovely Tormek lovely was worth waiting for! A very nice young woman, easy on the eye too.
It was also worth the wait 2 year for Doug the Whittlin' Wonder even if my wallet left lighter and my pocket heavier.

Harry72
28th July 2010, 09:15 AM
Liz's demo was really good... and Stan was super loud and funny as usual!

This was my 3rd show, all in all it was the smallest but I think it was the best. Yes there is a lack of new products but this is the amateur woodwork industry not much changes really its not like the computer/technology industry where there's innovations galore to gawk at.
For people like me having all the larger WW shops there doesnt make all that much difference, to me looking at carba's and Timbys etc etc is the same products just differing colour scheme's on the stands! I still buy what I need from them.
More missed seeing competition pieces, casting your vote is good procrastinating fun.

I managed to not spend several thou this time and spent more time watching the demos rather than melting the CC.(still spent 1k... not including the speeding fine on the trip home:( )

Frank&Earnest
28th July 2010, 11:42 AM
....(still spent 1k... not including the speeding fine on the trip home:( )

Funny you said that, I also copped one on the way back from Melbourne last time...too eager to try our new toys? :D

Harry72
28th July 2010, 06:03 PM
Nah in my own stupidity passed 4 "Im scared to overtake" cars at once, lucky nice mr police man was in good mood otherwise I would have lost the lic on the spot...

Christopha
28th July 2010, 07:04 PM
AAAAhh Harry, you thilly thauthage you. By the end of 3 days at the show I was so buggered I travelled home to the sunny(?) southeast at 10 k's below the limit. Not only did I avoid the fines but I used F' all fuel in the mighty Hoondai.
I spent not very much buckaroonies at the show, bought a nifty knilfe from the Whittlin' Wonder, bits and pieces from McJing. Had a brilliant Satdee night at Chateau Chandelier with U, the beautiful Beaut, nifty Noelene and her shy retiring hubby "Big Stan", Stans gorgeous checkout chick, my sorta daughter Rosie and other beautiful people.
Harry, which customary public visiting type bloke was you? I saw lots of beautiful people and some real ugly buggers to boot. Which one was you?

Tankstand
28th July 2010, 07:21 PM
Harry, which customary public visiting type bloke was you? I saw lots of beautiful people and some real ugly buggers to boot. Which one was you?
G'day Christopha, Harry and I sat next to each other on Friday and watched Ubeauts polishing on flat work demo. Does that help?

Christopha
28th July 2010, 07:37 PM
Nup! Me short term memory is kinda buggered... Tank who?

Whittling
28th July 2010, 11:06 PM
Well, for what its worth, I thought the show was good. It certainly wasn't big, but there was still lots to see and try. Unfortunately I didn't get to see or try very much of it as I was stuck on my own stand for most of the time.

I'm sorry you didn't introduce yourself Frank. I was actually looking forward to meeting you in the flesh after all the 'postponements' we've had. I'm sorry if I got dragged away by queries, but if I'd know it was you I'd have let em wait!:U

I did meet Sirstinkalot... we're going to try our hand a whittling in a couple of months right mate?:U I also met Chris and we had a good talk about keeping knives sharp. Even the shy and retiring Big Stan go in on the act. I'll be interested in hearing how his new knife goes.

I'm just a hobbist... a 'little fish' in the pond so my goals for the show were modest. I want to do what I can to get people into wood working that haven't tried it before. Machines and Megabucks are some people's dream but they scare others away. Whittling is about as basic (and inexpenive) as it gets. If I can turn even a few people onto whittling its often the 'thin edge of the wedge'. As they begin to expand their skill in carving it natually leads to other forms of wood work with machines etc. Within a few years they're into wood work in ways they never would have considered. I think we need that 'new blood' to expand the industry. Us old farts have already got a shed full of tools. We need people who are new to the craft to get on board. Fully 65% of my students have no wood working background at all. They are my target in shows like this.

Harry72
29th July 2010, 08:16 AM
Christopuffer, the one of the ugly ones... wearing forum shirt and Foilie cap

Christopha
29th July 2010, 06:16 PM
OHHH! THAT one, jeez mate you could do with a much bigger hat..... ;)

woodmama
30th July 2010, 02:32 PM
hi there everyone, i would just like to add my 2 cents to this thread. It is interesting to read people's comments about the show and how different their expectations etc were. As a novice woodworker (who is completely self taught other than via the Youtube school of woodworking videos LOL), I had a few hours up my sleeve on the 1st day of the show to wander around on my lonesome and have a look at a lot of products/displays etc that ordinarily I would not have a chance to do or experience. For me, I had a wide range of experiences ranging from a male sales staff member from a company I wont mention asking me where my husband was when i started asking him about some woodworking machinery !! ( this person looked slightly embarrassed when I told him that it was me who was interested in the product, not my husband - welcome to the 21st century!). I made light of it and wandered off , slightly annoyed with the attitude but not going to let it overshadow rest of show.
I spent a good 2-3 hours just wandering around looking at all sorts of things and I met Neil from ubeaut polishes, his wife and (unfortunately I cant remeber his name) but Neil's offsider who was brilliant in showing me how to use some of the wood finishes, explaining how they work etc, but also going to the great effort of helping me to work out which wood lathe to get - writing down the main key points etc all for me so I could then take this to the companies there and discuss it with them. I wanted to say a big thanks to Neil's offsider for his help as he didnt have to do any of that but he was willing to go the extra step to point me in the right direction. For me , that is what working as a community is about - not only about looking after the experienced and knowlegable wood workers - but helping out and educating the newbies like myself.

I would have liked to try the woodturning demo that Tim skilton had going on helping to turn honey dippers from blanks, but unfortunately I simply didnt have enough time, but judging from the gents who were there giving it a try - they looked like kids in a candy store - they were loving it!!, it was really nice to watch.

One thing I would have liked to have seen there would have been a display by one/some of the schools for woodworking for kids/teens/young adults. I found that this seemed to be lacking and thought that it would be great to incorporate more for our kids to be involved in hands on timber working projects rather than just being dragged along for the ride by their parent/parents. Maybe that is one reason why I hardly saw any youngsters there???...just an idea for future shows

To all the exhibitors, I just want you to know that I appreciated you giving your time and efforts to the show and I look forward to the next one.

thanks!

woodmama

RETIRED
30th July 2010, 03:11 PM
but Neil's offsider who was brilliant in showing me how to use some of the wood finishes, explaining how they work etc, but also going to the great effort of helping me to work out which wood lathe to get - writing down the main key points etc all for me so I could then take this to the companies there and discuss it with them. I wanted to say a big thanks to Neil's offsider for his help as he didnt have to do any of that but he was willing to go the extra step to point me in the right direction. For me , that is what working as a community is about - not only about looking after the experienced and knowlegable wood workers - but helping out and educating the newbies like myself.You've blown your image now Oh Bald Headed One. :roflmao:

Goodonya.:2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
30th July 2010, 09:07 PM
You've blown your image now Oh Bald Headed One. :roflmao:

Goodonya.:2tsup:

Now Neil is going to have to order even larger size caps for his demonstrator.

Not sure you can get size XXXXXXL:)

cheers

Tim:)

wheelinround
30th July 2010, 09:13 PM
All this chatter not one photo :no: are SA people camera phobic :p

Did/was there a Forum stand like Sydney and Bris how'd it go???

Tankstand
31st July 2010, 02:14 AM
Did/was there a Forum stand like Sydney and Bris how'd it go???

Alas, we let the Grand Poohbah down. :-

But the screened off area made a wonderful private place for a cuppa and a rest (Thankyou Neil)

ubeaut
31st July 2010, 02:44 AM
woodmama - The helpful one was Christophathanks to your praise I'll have to call himBooofheadall the time instead of just occasionally.

wheelin - No forum stand, only had 2 put their hands up so couldn't work it, but there was a forum lounge which was very well used although it didn't look like it because Pauline kept cleaning away the rubbish.

As for me the show was good. Had better, had worse. At least there was a reasonable number of visitors through, Better than some in the past when almost no one came. EEE did a fantastic job of getting as many exhibitors as they did to the show.

Saw something I never saw at any of the old shows. Thursday the EEE team were out on the show floor physically moving stands around, putting out chairs and helping set up stands, lifting and toting. Never ever saw the others do anything but talk.

All in all I hope it was enough to warrant the show coming back to Adelaide again. From another point of view... Pauline and a few others had a ball over at the Bridal Expo which EEE was also running.

Cheers - Neil :U

PS had to sharpen my own knife at whittlin's stand, but then again I've been doing it for over 50 years now so I guess it didn't really matter. :C

wheelinround
31st July 2010, 10:38 AM
Pity eh Neil but then again I am sure the lounge which no one has mentioned must have been well frequented if Pauline had to clean it up. Or was that fellow who was in Sydney constantly in there as well.:U

Tankstand
31st July 2010, 11:18 AM
Pity eh Neil but then again I am sure the lounge which no one has mentioned must have been well frequented if Pauline had to clean it up. Or was that fellow who was in Sydney constantly in there as well.:U

But the screened off area made a wonderful private place for a cuppa and a rest (Thankyou Neil)

I feel so invisible sometimes!

wheelinround
31st July 2010, 11:54 AM
I feel so invisible sometimes!

My apologies TS :B I even read that I did.:doh:

Christopha
31st July 2010, 05:29 PM
Tankstand who????

wheelinround
31st July 2010, 05:31 PM
Tankstand who????

I believe he was so upset he rocked SA today had them all quaking in their boots

Or was that your singing Christopha :q

Tankstand
31st July 2010, 06:12 PM
I believe he was so upset he rocked SA today had them all quaking in their boots

Or was that your singing Christopha :q

All in jest, no one upset here!:D

Must ring my big sister, she lives in Quorn!