PDA

View Full Version : Ripa-Gripp Clamps

mat
8th October 2004, 09:37 AM
Did anyone see the ripa-gripp clamps shown on the new inventers this week? Does anyone know of a distributer on the east coast?

http://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1211503.htm

himzol
8th October 2004, 10:06 AM
Mat,

Yes I saw them, looked pretty good. Get in touch with them here, http://www.greydog.com.au/

Himzo.

Sturdee
8th October 2004, 10:14 AM
Saw them the other night. Was not very impressed as it did not seem very usefull for woodworking. Much more suitable for metal working and out on a job where no suitable workbenches are available.

The price also was ridiculous, $ 170 for the small one with the attachment and $ 310 for the large one with attachment. That is the price per unit. :mad: :mad: And you would need a few.

For the cost of one or two large ones you can buy enough other clamps for your workshop needs.

Peter.

himzol
8th October 2004, 10:23 AM
Much more suitable for metal working and out on a job where no suitable workbenches are available.

Yep, have to agree with this.

Himzo.

simon c
8th October 2004, 01:24 PM
Seems more appropriate as an alternative to a engineers bench vice rather than a clamp. In which case the price is probably more comparable and the mobility would be an added extra.

lyctus
15th October 2004, 07:02 PM
Saw these metal workers clamps at a Field Day here in WA a month or so ago. They reminded me of the Martek Crab Clamps available some years ago. The problem for woodies is that not only are they expensive but that they clamp with immense force, possibly giving rise to surface bruising, even with safe blocks. Biggest problem these guys may have is marketing. They had the clamps at the show for $170 for the small one and when asked about retail availability, they said that they had an engineering supplier in Perth stocking them, and that they would cost about $210. "How so ?" I asked. "Well" they replied " we are selling them at shows direct to the public at "wholesale" and if you go to a retailer you will have to pay full whack"

Can't see many retailers wanting to stock a product under those circumstances ! So wait for a field day near you !
They are nicely made, will last a lifetime and can even be had in SS.