PDA

View Full Version : Nip wip

dai sensei
23rd July 2010, 08:27 PM
I scored some Norfolk Island Pine the other day. I gave most of it away to the local wood turning club, mainly big slices, but a couple included big branch stems. Rather than turning them whole, they sliced them up into wedges :doh:. Still worked well though, as everyone their got the chance to try a thin walled (<3mm) bowl showing off some of the beautiful spalting.

John (Gawdelpus) came around today to shop for some resins, cast some sand :rolleyes: and join me in playing with some coffee beans :;, so decided to get him to help me preparing the single small branch stem I kept for myself. It only had 3 branches, around 450mm dia x 500mm long, but it had penty of potential. We started by using the chainsaw to get it roughly 380mm dia, the max my lathe can take between centres and it was ~30-40kgs, then I roughed it down.

Photo1: mounted initially on the lathe
Photo2: plaining the outside to make it fit, then get it close to round to help with balance
Photo3: plaining the ends square to minimise vibration - my min speed is 400 :o
Photo4: starting to rough it round with the Ci1
Photo5: some interesting features appeared just under the sapwood, unfortunately it didn't last
Photos6,7,8: after roughing, the three branch centres and some of the spalting

I need a large fruit bowl for work, but the blank is far too deep for that, so I am now debating on cutting it down. I have a choice of trimming the ends off, leaving 2 splalted platter blanks, the centre with three stems the main bowl blank. Alternatively, I might cut in half, leaving 2 bowl blanks, one with 2 stems and the other just 1. The other thing to consider is that I need a rim suitable for burning the company name and picture of what we are making.

I have to help my son move tomorrow, so the whole thing will sit under some glad wrap till I decide and have the opportunity to play with it again :rolleyes:. It was great to turn something again bigger than pens :U

Cheers

RufflyRustic
23rd July 2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Neil, any chance of making two bowls from the blank?:?

cheers
Wendy

dai sensei
23rd July 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Neil, any chance of making two bowls from the blank?:?

...Alternatively, I might cut in half, leaving 2 bowl blanks, one with 2 stems and the other just 1. ...

:rolleyes:

RufflyRustic
24th July 2010, 11:20 AM
:rotfl: I deserve that for doing 3 things at once :doh::U

Ed Reiss
24th July 2010, 12:22 PM
Nice looking block of NIP...looking forward to seeing the finished product.

artme
24th July 2010, 04:26 PM
Waiting......:U

wheelinround
24th July 2010, 05:23 PM
:whs:

dai sensei
25th July 2010, 06:31 PM
Ok decision made, 3 pieces.

9: Cutting it with the chainsaw (after turning a tennon each time)
10: the 3 blanks - the main fruit bowl, another bowl, and a platter

I then turned the other bowl blank to see how it dries

11: Inside the bowl - 270mm dia
12: Outside the bowl - 70mm depth
13: light showing the thickness - a pretty even 3mm :2tsup:`

The other two blanks are sitting in a container full of water until I have more turning time :-

Manuka Jock
25th July 2010, 06:35 PM
Nice one Neil .
I like the illusion of the off center center :2tsup:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/142540d1280042248-nip-wip-11-bowl-inside.jpg

Swino
25th July 2010, 08:11 PM
Looks great!!! How are you drying it?

I wrapped mine in 5 pieces of newspaper. So far it's drying well with no cracks and minimal if any warping.

dai sensei
25th July 2010, 08:25 PM
I've just got it in the laundry at the moment :- I've had problems with newpaper and staining/mould, so tend to avoid it. I was thinking of putting it in sawdust, but this time of year and only being 3mm, I'm hoping it will be Ok as is.
:fingerscrossed:

gawdelpus
25th July 2010, 08:52 PM
Wot a mess !!!! ( of shavings all over the shop I mean) :) hehe Lookin good Neil I can see why you wanted to get that up and spinning lol, probably gonna be too good for it's intended recipients ,lucky you have some backups to keep for yourself ,as you said fingers ,toes ,and every thing else crossed that it behaves itself in the drying process , cheers ~ John

Manuka Jock
25th July 2010, 09:05 PM
I've just got it in the laundry at the moment ....

Clothes dryer huh , thats a new one for drying blanks :D

Sawdust Maker
26th July 2010, 11:11 PM
Neil
Nice bowl and good lookin NIP

Clothes dryer huh , thats a new one for drying blanks :D

Hmm would have to get past the tumble bit, might take nicks out of the rim :C
- wait a minute that crazy NZ brand dryer we have has a rack which sits stable in the middle - have to wait for the boss to go shopping one day ...:p

Manuka Jock
26th July 2010, 11:33 PM
- wait a minute that crazy NZ brand dryer we have has a rack which sits stable in the middle - have to waid for the boss to go shopping one day ...:p
We think of eveything over here ya know :2tsup:

Keep us posted on the results :D

Sawdust Maker
27th July 2010, 09:52 PM
Actually have an old dishwasher just waiting for a refit as a stainless steel lined drying container :D it even has wire drawer thingies to take the roughed out bowls, blanks etc

It's called recycling and is good for the environment

Manuka Jock
28th July 2010, 12:03 AM
Leave it hooked up to the plumbing , and do the boiling thing before the drying thing :D

artme
28th July 2010, 07:34 AM
Well neil, you have been busy! all looks good from here.:2tsup::2tsup:

Hope the drying goes well, whatever method you use.

Allen Neighbors
28th July 2010, 11:21 AM
Great work on all ends....
I think one has to have a lot of guts to stick that gorgeous bowl in a Dryer.... :D

munruben
28th July 2010, 12:21 PM
Yep it looks great Neil. Fingers crossed for the drying process.:2tsup::2tsup: