PDA

View Full Version : hi all, new adelaidian member here

socratous
26th July 2010, 07:47 AM
Hey guys, I'm Ben, 28, from Adelaide.

I started off getting interested in wood helping grandpa in his shed many years ago. I also did woodwork in yr10 high school. Gave up on the woodwork idea as I was hell bent on becoming an electronic engineer (also have a love for electronics). Found out my head doesn't get along with a few maths 2 topics so abandoned that idea and after a few years to many of working in a supermarket I'm now a food sales rep.

Finally after a few years of company hoping, I'm on a decent enough wage to allow me to buy some tools (or toys as my girlfriend refers to them as :~) and as such I have re-kindled my interest in woodwork. Putting wood and electronics together has lead me to make speakers for the past 18 months, and in the past 5 months or so, I have branched into the higher end of audio. As such, 99% of all my work is MDF, the closest I come to actual timber at present is the veneer on the MDF I use. I would love to get back into using some actual wood in projects, hopefully I will get some inspiration and motivaion here!

Sorry about the length of the thesis, guess its just the sales rep in me trying to explain things right the first time haha.

Claw Hama
26th July 2010, 08:19 AM
Welcome Socs, make sure you wear all safety gear/masks with that crap its not good stuff. If you have the toys or some of them you are off to a good start. Make something for your girlfriend from real timber and if you have to buy more toys/tools she won't mind. You will find lots of inspiration here so enjoy.

socratous
26th July 2010, 08:56 AM
Socs? Haven't been called that since high school! Now I'm remenising lol.

Don't worry, I've got the safety bases covered - almost. I've got a DC, its fine on wood particles but struggles to catch up all the fine MDF dust. MY girlfriend's dad is in the process of addressing that for me, in the form of a cyclone he pulled out of the scrap head at his work, should be good for about 3500CFM :U. Just needs a bit of tlc with a bead blast and a new coat of paint and a new motor. Once I've welded up my new overhead blade guard (with dust extraction) I should be sitting pretty. Also picked up a room air fiter on the weekend, its working wonders already!

Christos
26th July 2010, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the forum.

From what you have started out on is still a start. From what I am about to say will upset a few people and might turn this into a heated discussion.

MDF is still wood. :o With heaps of glue mixed in. :U

Then again you mention timber annd not wood, so to really heat things up I should also mention that Pine is also timber, that grows really fast. :U

I think that you have done very well with what you have constructed. Keep it going. :2tsup:

artme
26th July 2010, 02:18 PM
G'day Socratous and welcome to the shed.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
26th July 2010, 05:52 PM
Welcome indeed, great to have you aboard.:2tsup:

coffenup
26th July 2010, 09:13 PM
welcome aboard
regards michael

BeanerSA
26th July 2010, 09:17 PM
Well, show us some pics or ur speakers then :)

socratous
27th July 2010, 08:16 AM
Don't you worry, I already am addicted! Apparently I need to go to woodworkers annonomys as I start to develop a twitch if I haven't been in the shed for more than 24hrs :;

I'm in negotiations at present to gain 'permission' to buy a sliding table for my saw. I'm thinking of the generic table that carba tec now sells, but for $800 and not being metric scaled I am thinking also I might have a crack at making one, or adapting a triton table... ideas? "If I have a sliding table, my production time is cut by 1/2, and that means more time with you", is my current argument, hahaha. With any luck, this weekend I MIGHT actually find the time to finish my router table, I am itching to bust out the mitre lock bits :)

In my younger silly years (did that just make me sound really old? lol) I played around a lot with cars. Should I have not done that I probably would have had a 100sqm shed and a digital panel saw by now, ok maybe not but hindsight is annoying at times :/ As I am slowly flogging off the reaming bits of a couple of track cars, my tool collection is growing steadily.

As for speaker pics, see here; http://www.woodworkforums.com/f99/my-new-5-1-system-121405/

I will take some decent pics when they are all finished, I am still waiting on some more grill clips to come into stock to finish the front set.