PDA

View Full Version : Hinges. Decent ones?

Enfield Guy
27th July 2010, 07:20 PM
Gidday folks.

I am sick to death of making nice furniture only to have it let down by carp hinges. I am also not happy to pay the prices that dudes like Brusso charge. $45.00 a pair for 2" x 1 1/2" brass butts is simply too rich for me. I found Mc Callum Hinges and they are sold by Lincoln Sentry. Are they any good? Are there other alternatives?

The ones I have been using need to be filed parallel and need to have the countersinks eased out to make then look half decent.

Thanks in advance.

Bevan

toolbagsPLUS
27th July 2010, 07:36 PM
Nothing wrong with Mc Callum Hinges good Aussie product.

Cheers

Steve

Enfield Guy
27th July 2010, 07:45 PM
I've seen their 100 x 50 hinges, but nothing smaller. It is my understanding that their smaller hinges are sourced from overseas. I might have to make a trip over the other side of town to have a bit of a look at them.

Thanks for the response. Any others?

Cheers

Enfield Guy
29th July 2010, 08:16 PM
Got to have a look at some samples of McCallum hinges today. Great looking hinges. Lincoln Sentry's price seems to be reasonable as well.

Cheers

Rattrap
30th July 2010, 09:05 AM
cheap ass hinges:((:((:((
I've been doing battle with them over the past week. Bought 8 hurline hinges for a cabinet i'm working on, not 1 hinge had matching screw holes, they all had terrible slop in their movement all except for 1 that was so tight that i could barely move it. I swore only yesterday that i'd never use these cheap ass crap hinges again. Thanks for the Lincoln Sentry tip, i'm going into town today where they have an office so i'll check them out.

TomH
1st August 2010, 11:18 PM
You could also try www.elraco.com.au (http://www.elraco.com.au) I've found their stuff to be good.

markharrison
4th August 2010, 02:11 PM
Gee, how many hinges are you talking about? Thousands? So after all the effort you have put in you want to scrimp on the hardware? If you are making furniture for sale and profit then this might make sense but believe me there is a world of difference between the cheap Indian made hardware and the stuff you can buy from Brusso, Whitechapel and Ball and Ball.

I really like Whitechapel's (http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/)hardware. They make jewels.

It's your money and your call though.

Enfield Guy
4th August 2010, 09:47 PM
No, I'm not talking about thousands of pairs of hinges. I make about 10 or so bigger pieces a year and a fair few production items. For example I do a stool that I sell a fair few of that takes 2 pair. For Brusso hardware thats about $90 per stool, Whitechaple maybe a bit less. McCallum, which I will be using in future come in far more economic and the quality is good. Presently I am selling the stool for $125.00 wholesale, $195.00 retail. $90.00 out of that does not leave much for materials, overheads and margin.

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers