PDA

View Full Version : .....both professionals and amateurs alike

RicB
28th July 2010, 09:22 PM
I noticed for the first time tonight "both professionals and amateurs alike" in the description line for this forum.

Which begs the question, for me anyway, are there actually people that make a living from turning wood? :oo:

Pat
28th July 2010, 09:44 PM
. . .

orificiam
28th July 2010, 10:17 PM
I don't:((:((
Cheers Tony.:)

NeilS
28th July 2010, 10:24 PM
Yes, some forum members earn their living from woodturning.

Mine only pays its own way...:rolleyes:

mick61
28th July 2010, 11:05 PM
I WISH:D
Mick:D

tea lady
29th July 2010, 01:12 AM
:cool: Professional is a state of mind. :p Do you spend more time thinking about woodturning, of the thing you actually make money from.:think:

(There are also quite a lot of artists that have other jobs to support their profession. :think: )

Michael Spain
29th July 2010, 04:15 AM
In my personal case, woodturning a complement is alone for my work of woodmaker, and I do not live of my profession, survive with her.:gaah:

NeilS
29th July 2010, 10:39 AM
:cool: Professional is a state of mind. :p Do you spend more time thinking about woodturning, of the thing you actually make money from.:think:

(There are also quite a lot of artists that have other jobs to support their profession. :think: )

Yeah, I say it's my preoccupation...:rolleyes:

All of the artists I know had paying jobs until late in their careers.... one was a twice Archibald winner who I shared an office with... he couldn't afford to work full time on his art until the kids left home....:U

Allen Neighbors
29th July 2010, 11:26 AM
I can only wish. I'd have to triple my prices and ... well... work! Perish the thought.
What I sell does pay for the tools.... and an occasional trip to the mountains. :D

Ed Reiss
29th July 2010, 12:09 PM
Used to a couple of decades ago, but quickly learned that "professional" means working at it 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week:C

...am now much happier being an "amatuer":D

hughie
29th July 2010, 12:51 PM
...am now much happier being an "amatuer

Yeah some times the Hobby becomes work and then its no fun, unless you command the prices of the likes of William Hunter or Ron Kent. I suppose I could get by then......:U

robo hippy
29th July 2010, 01:02 PM
I am a semi pro, which means I make enough money to support my habit, and pay some of the bills, but not enough to support myself. I guess I could work that hard, but it would take the fun out of it.

Those that I know who do it for a living, also teach, have videos, their own tool lines, travel to do demonstrations, and work some long hours. I will probably retire before I get around to that.

robo hippy

RicB
29th July 2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have no intention of trying to make a buck from woodturning. Just curious is all.

I haven't used a lathe since high school (1978 :no:) and I have only just recently purchased a second hand lathe (cheers sbranden) to have a go and break up some of the furniture jobs that MFFAF has on her list. :rolleyes:

I agree that to make a living from woodworking would take the "fun" out of it. I did that to aviation :doh:

rsser
30th July 2010, 03:56 PM
I looked into making money out of turning, if only to offset the cost of the gear, and got a response from a gallery to produce 10 burl bowls a month.

Thinking about it, I figured it would turn a pleasure into a pressure and passed the opportunity onto someone else.

So I run on a near-total loss business model, unless you can put a price on fun and satisfaction.

I still sell a few pieces when folk see what I do and ask, and have given away many more as presents. Happily, decades of wage-slavery have given me a retirement income that allows me now to follow whim and whimsy.

rsser
30th July 2010, 04:11 PM
PS I only observe pro turners from a distance and stand to be corrected; it seems there are still some production turners but for 'art' turners they appear to need to tick most of these boxes to make a living:

* national/international reputation & awards for the quality of their work
* a market for their work
* lessons
* demonstrations
* instructional books/DVDs
* sale of turning gear