PDA

View Full Version : Inside mini-lathe

Tiger
29th July 2010, 11:08 AM
During Winter when it's very cold and Summer when it's very hot my woodturning tails off. My lathe is in a tin garage and really feels the weather as well as mozzies etc. I am toying with getting a mini-lathe like the one that Carbatec sell so and installing it the laundry where I have a little bit of space. Now this would make it convenient as it's so close to hand but has obvious problems like dust (although it would be near a window) and the inability to sharpen with a grinder as I wouldn't bring the grinder indoors. It would only be for small jobs like pens, finials and boxes but am aware that it may be impractical. Anyone tried this or have any thoughts for and against?

HazzaB
29th July 2010, 11:32 AM
Hey Tiger,

I showed the LOML a picture of a little lathe setup and the bloke had it on his lap in a lounge chair, I said that one of those would be good, I could buzz up some pens while watching the TV:wink:, The answer was "In Your Own House you can do what you Want:no:" So I took that as a NO

HazzaB

Tiger
29th July 2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Hazza,

Wow in the lounge room, now why didn't I think of that!

I am expecting a bit of resistance at home as well but in the laundry, neatly tucked away, minding my own business....surely that would be okay?

Ed Reiss
29th July 2010, 12:05 PM
Hi Hazza,

Wow in the lounge room, now why didn't I think of that!

I am expecting a bit of resistance at home as well but in the laundry, neatly tucked away, minding my own business....surely that would be okay?

...don't really value your life, do you Tiger??:no::doh:

Tiger
29th July 2010, 12:11 PM
...don't really value your life, do you Tiger??:no::doh:

Ed, I'd like to think that we as the human race have come a long way and that women can see the practicalities of this. What woman would be able to resist the claim of "Oh I need a pen and I can't find any" to "Don't worry dear, I'll just go to the laundry and make one for you, should be ready in 10 mins"

Ed Reiss
29th July 2010, 12:23 PM
I repeat.........

Sturdee
29th July 2010, 12:29 PM
What woman would be able to resist the claim of "Oh I need a pen and I can't find any" to "Don't worry dear, I'll just go to the laundry and make one for you, should be ready in 10 mins"

To which she will either say " Go to the shed and work faster and you won't be cold dear" or she'll say I'll have one of those from the stock you already have". :D

Peter.

Wizened of Oz
29th July 2010, 12:36 PM
Absolutely impractical. It's not just the mountain of shavings. The dust won't find it's way out the window, but will coat every surface, seen and unseen, in the laundry, and find it's way under over and around closed doors to the far rooms of the house.
Maybe better to consider insulating the shed.

hughie
29th July 2010, 12:45 PM
I'd like to think that we as the human race have come a long way and that women can see the practicalities of this.

Hmm, Practical, vision, nope. The Mars and Venus thing is actually a law of the universe. No hope, no hope what so ever, your domain is the shed and everywhere is Hers, ya just gotta know your place in life.

munruben
29th July 2010, 12:47 PM
The answer was "In Your Own House you can do what you Want:no:" So I took that as a NOHazzaB Sometimes you just gotta read between the lines eh? :)

Tiger
29th July 2010, 12:52 PM
Absolutely impractical. It's not just the mountain of shavings. The dust won't find it's way out the window, but will coat every surface, seen and unseen, in the laundry, and find it's way under over and around closed doors to the far rooms of the house.
Maybe better to consider insulating the shed.

Thanks, Brian. I had hoped that if I used some roller blinds to screen sections off and a vacuum cleaner permanently installed in the laundry that I might be able to pull this off. It was a dream.

Does make you wonder how people who don't have a shed can turn wood though.

texx
29th July 2010, 01:00 PM
shift the washing machine into the shed and make more room in the laundry :2tsup:
or just fit one of those bathroom or kitchen type extractor fans into the laundry window

Tiger
29th July 2010, 01:16 PM
Texx, I don't know if I'll get away with moving the washing machine out into the shed but the extractor fan is a good idea, thanks.

texx
29th July 2010, 01:29 PM
i think you can get those fans from bunn's just fit it into a sheet of ply the correct size to fit the window opening then it can be fitted and removed as required .

Reece
29th July 2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Brian. I had hoped that if I used some roller blinds to screen sections off and a vacuum cleaner permanently installed in the laundry that I might be able to pull this off. It was a dream.

Does make you wonder how people who don't have a shed can turn wood though.

I do all my turning on the back patio of our house. No problems with dust hanging around. That said, it doesn't get as cold in winter or as hot in summer here as it does in Melbourne. I'm still turning most nights after work.

rodent
3rd August 2010, 01:42 AM
when all is said and done insulate your shed it's easy . Just tell her it's that or the laundry .