29th July 2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/nova-dvr-xp-lathe-121565/#post1186208

RETIRED
29th July 2010, 03:56 PM
News that bad Ern?

rsser
29th July 2010, 04:08 PM
Not really, thanks .

I couldn't get to NZ cos of the back probs, so changing the lathe is my consolation prize. Assuming the travel insurer accepts the claim.

RETIRED
29th July 2010, 05:09 PM
Whatchagettin?

rsser
29th July 2010, 05:34 PM
A VL175 I'm thinking.

RETIRED
29th July 2010, 07:01 PM
Nice jigger.:D

Kev Y.
29th July 2010, 08:35 PM
If I dont hear back from Carbatec soon Ern, I will be in the market for a new DVR!.. mind you it has ONLY been 5 months since I took the lathe head/motor into Springvale...

I guess I can not rush them now can I

TTIT
29th July 2010, 10:56 PM
A VL175 I'm thinking.So is this the full circle??? Didn't you have something like that before the Stubb ??!! :?

Sawdust Maker
29th July 2010, 11:16 PM
So why is the DVR going?
if private we can discuss offline :C

rsser
30th July 2010, 06:17 AM
Vern, yeah, almost full circle. Only real diff from the older one is the remote control box and another half a horse.

Nick, the DVR XP has the best motor of any lathe I've used. It's just a bit limited with outboard turning capacity and doesn't handle my Vicmarc hollowing tool rest very well. But frankly, rationally there's no real justification for the change; I'm just indulging a whim.

hughie
30th July 2010, 01:11 PM
Well Ern as they say its an ill wind that blows nobody any good. Vicmarc175 should keep you quiet for a bit....till next time :U

rsser
30th July 2010, 03:14 PM
Next lathe might have to be a Vicmarc sit down model :rolleyes:

NeilS
30th July 2010, 04:00 PM
A VL175 I'm thinking.

Very nice!!!

Next lathe might have to be a Vicmarc sit down model :rolleyes:

Nah... just put a ramp next to the VL175 for the wheel chair...:U

Mr Brush
30th July 2010, 04:19 PM
"One careful owner, never been raced..." :oo:

Looks like a good buy for someone at that price, since this example will already have had any minor kinks 'Erned' out. Wouldn't be surprised to find the bed has been lapped flat to a shiny finish with an 8000 grit stone.....:D

Pity I'm only in the market for something much MUCH smaller to suit beginner.

rsser
30th July 2010, 04:51 PM
LOL.

Yeah, as once advised me, buy a lathe that's been demo'd at a show.

The only 'Ern' touches with this unit are:

* handwheel of Blackwood
* vacuum coupler of Southern Mahogany
* two shelves, top one fitted with a scalloped rest for tools
* wood saddle brackets on the headstock to take a Planet lamp or similar (snap! Neil)
* legs painted in hammertone grey to match the lathe

Optional extra is one of the blue alloy faceplates in the pic below. Don't care if the buyer wants it or not; I'm happy just to perve on it now and then :-

I'm not in any rush for the money so if someone wanted to do a layby I'd be happy to discuss it.

Sawdust Maker
31st July 2010, 12:37 AM

I'm not in any rush for the money so if someone wanted to do a layby I'd be happy to discuss it.

Blimey
that's tempting
bit of overkill to have two though :doh:

this is a bargain from where I'm sitting
I'm surprised Ern hasn't been injured with the rush of prospective buyers

Manuka Jock
31st July 2010, 10:13 AM
the DVR XP has the best motor of any lathe I've used..
Yep , I'll second that .
I hazard a guess that we will see more lathe manufacturers heading in the DVR technology direction in the years to come .

Bit of a bugga about your health setback and trip postponement Ern ,
Get well soon mate

rsser
31st July 2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I should be skiing some of your powder snow today and flying to the top of the Tasman glacier on Monday. Sigh. Next year, DV, I'll opt for something milder like 5 days in the Two Thumb range.

Re direct drive lathes, the only other one I know of is the Poolewood in the UK, and I'm not sure this has microprocessor controlled torque. It does have a remote keypad that Nova should get off their rear and copy though. Click for details (http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_New_DVSL_Lathe.html).

rsser
2nd August 2010, 05:59 PM
The lathe will go on ebay on Monday the 9th.

rsser
3rd August 2010, 01:12 PM
Hmph. I've got 6 custom toolrests, 5 of them curved. They started with 1" posts, were remade with 30mm posts for the first VL175, and then remade again with 1" posts for the Stubby.

Now we're back to 30mm but GJ has kindly offered to turn up a sleeve to go into the VL175 banjo.

Way back I spoke with a pro turner who said he was responsible for persuading VM to go to 30mm. Wish I could speak to him again!

Fortunately I kept all my 30x3.5 chuck inserts.

Standards would be good in this game.

RETIRED
3rd August 2010, 01:38 PM
Hmph. I've got 6 custom toolrests, 5 of them curved. They started with 1" posts, were remade with 30mm posts for the first VL175, and then remade again with 1" posts for the Stubby.

Now we're back to 30mm but GJ has kindly offered to turn up a sleeve to go into the VL175 banjo.

Way back I spoke with a pro turner who said he was responsible for persuading VM to go to 30mm. Wish I could speak to him again!

Fortunately I kept all my 30x3.5 chuck inserts.

Standards would be good in this game.Where would be the fun in that? :whistling2: :kickcan:

rsser
3rd August 2010, 01:46 PM
(enter snort sound here)

OK for you guys with a metal lathe and F&T mate ....

speaking of which :D

pommyphil
3rd August 2010, 02:05 PM
lucky the VL175 on ebay was so far from Melbourn or you'd have been bidding against me,:D Now I'll have the same dramas with chuck inserts and toolrests, a big step from a MC1100

rsser
3rd August 2010, 02:23 PM
LoL. Yeah, efgee kindly alerted me to that one but I couldn't find it on ebay, and I'd put a deposit down already on a new one.

Congrats on your win.

It's fine bit of kit that doesn't need fettling from the off.

Manuka Jock
3rd August 2010, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I should be skiing some of your powder snow today and flying to the top of the Tasman glacier on Monday. Sigh. Next year, DV, I'll opt for something milder like 5 days in the Two Thumb range.

Re direct drive lathes, the only other one I know of is the Poolewood in the UK, and I'm not sure this has microprocessor controlled torque. It does have a remote keypad that Nova should get off their rear and copy though. Click for details (http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_New_DVSL_Lathe.html).
I looked at the Poolewood when I was researching the Nova DVR technology a few years ago , and it did not impress me that much.
Nor did the 12,000 miles worth of transport costs .
1200's worth was enough for my wallet :o

:2tsup: to the remote keypad

Sawdust Maker
3rd August 2010, 09:42 PM

Agree

looking at these user reports it seems one reviewer likes her stubby better

rsser
8th August 2010, 02:00 PM
11 months warranty remaining by the way.

Mulgabill
8th August 2010, 03:19 PM
As usual Ern! my time is lousy:C. Good luck with the sale. Someone will get a nice lathe.

rsser
8th August 2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks Russell. As posted, I'm happy to negotiate a lay-by.

But let me know soon as it's now on Ebay, a bit sooner than posted as I'll be out of town from Tues.

Ed Reiss
9th August 2010, 12:11 PM
...for the life of me I can't figure out why no one wants to trade a nice upscale lathe for a couple of bowls...always gotta' be $$$$$$$$$ :C:D:D:D

Manuka Jock
9th August 2010, 12:13 PM
...for the life of me I can't figure out why no one wants to trade a nice upscale lathe for a couple of bowls...always gotta' be $$$$$$$$$ :C:D:D:D
Yeah true Ed , if bowls were currency , we'd be makin' a mint eh :D

rsser
16th August 2010, 03:26 PM
Well buying the VL175 was interesting.

I emailed 5 retailers with my requirements and asking for their best price.

2 didn't bother replying.

2 replied within a day and a 3rd within the week. Of the 2 one wasn't interested in bargaining on price; the other was as was the 3rd.

The discounts offered were better than 10%.

Don't ask me who as the requests were in confidence.

Enfield Guy
16th August 2010, 03:35 PM
Pretty sad that 2 couldn't be bothered to reply with a quote. Maybe they have enough customers and sales already? I hardly think so. That sort of thing peeves me to no end, but, they will be ones that may not ever get another bite at the cherry.

Good luck with it all Ern.
Cheers

rsser
16th August 2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks.

As is common, it was the smaller guys who were the most responsive.

Last time I went Vicmarc there were only 2 retailers in Melb and neither was interested in talking $$. This time I emailed retailers in Vic and NSW - not that it matters much as the unit comes direct from Vicmarc. I didn't bother with Carba-tec Vic since my recent experiences with them with machines hasn't been wonderful.

I will say that the best offers were from Vic.

hughie
17th August 2010, 01:28 PM
A lot of companies have web sites, mainly for advertising and have no real interest in servicing customer inquiries.

I guess they view the web site as a billboard, put it up and forget it. Not surprising the little guys do well on the web.

rsser
17th August 2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, true of one but the other was an ebay seller. Bit odd.

rsser
17th August 2010, 06:03 PM
Dammit, I must be jinxed.

Can't get the tailstock off the VL175.

Binding laterally in the bed centre.

Least you can talk to the man. File it he says.

50 strokes carefully on both bed vertical faces and it still binds.

The retailer is going in to bat for me thankfully and I'll try to take some pics. There are distinct near vertical milling marks for about 35cm in the bed around where the binding happens. Dunno how they got the tailstock on to begin with.

jefferson
17th August 2010, 07:01 PM
Not good news, Ern. :(( I wonder where the castings were done, here or in China?

Surprising or not that you've had a hiccup? :rolleyes:

Not sure on that one as my VL 175 gets very hot at the head-stock end when running the beast at 3000 rpm for any length of time. :? Not sure what to do either, still under warranty I assume.

Not one problem with the 2006 VL 300 though, so I shouldn't complain.

Anyway, hope things get sorted out. Doesn't seem right to me though. Not from Vicmarc.

Big Shed
17th August 2010, 08:09 PM
Should really be irrelevant whether the castings were done here or overseas (Thailand).

When one pays that sort of money for a lathe, part of the extra expense is for the Vicmarc quality control, the machining should all have been done here in Oz, as should the QC. Looks like they failed on both counts.

A hot running headstock spindle doesn't sound too promising either:no:

Hope you get it sorted Ern, but I wouldn't be doing any filing after spending that sort of money. My reply would be be "fix it or collect it".:(

rsser
17th August 2010, 08:46 PM
Yes, Aus made, and I'm happy to deal with minor hiccups but this is not one of them.

I've always had good service from Vicmarc so will sleep soundly tonight.

NeilS
18th August 2010, 11:15 AM
... my VL 175 gets very hot at the head-stock end when running the beast at 3000 rpm for any length of time.

Doesn't sound right to me, Jeff.

Start by looking at bearings.

NeilS
18th August 2010, 11:25 AM
Dunno how they got the tailstock on to begin with.

Warm bed and cold tailstock could have worked during assembly. Perhaps replicate that to see if it works. At least you will then have an explanation and the basis of a solution.

rsser
18th August 2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, could be.

Best I can measure there's about 0.1mm narrowing in the bed gap where the tailstock binds. CORRECTION: more like 0.3 - 0.4mm.

The retailer will inspect it tomorrow and VM will replace it if found to be their problem.

Re bearings, these are tapered rollers I think? Wonder if they're nut tensioned. ADDED: acc to the manual there's a screw-on thrust collar. That might need a look Jeff.

jefferson
18th August 2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks Ern and Co.

I'll get Ken W. to have a look this arvo. He should know what to do. :D:D:D

jefferson
18th August 2010, 11:06 PM
Ken adjusted the bearings - problem solved!!!:D:D

NeilS
19th August 2010, 05:15 PM
Ken adjusted the bearings - problem solved!!!:D:D

........:2tsup:

Big Shed
19th August 2010, 05:23 PM
Good to see the DVR is sold Ern:2tsup:

What's the state of play with the VL175?

rsser
20th August 2010, 06:16 PM
Fred, after some 'forensic ding inspection' and photos sent to VM, their thinking is that the outrigger, which got loose in the box, did the damage. I'm inclined to agree with this.

They have been very responsive to the prob as has the retailer who came down to inspect the problem himself, but some questions now arise ...

1. Was it the carrier's fault for rough handling?
2. Was it a fault of packing that allowed the outrigger to pull out its two fixing screws from the pallet and do what it did?
3. Was it my fault for not opening up the box and checking that everything was kosher before accepting delivery?

Stay tuned for further installments!

hughie
20th August 2010, 09:23 PM
1. Was it the carrier's fault for rough handling?
2. Was it a fault of packing that allowed the outrigger to pull out its two fixing screws from the pallet and do what it did?
should not be a problem

3. Was it my fault for not opening up the box and checking that everything was kosher before accepting delivery?I would vigorously deny any fault or repsonsibility to this. '' I am not a trained engineer etc'' and '' therefore not qualified etc ''

''uberrimae fidei'' you received the good from a well known and respected company of whom you have had successful dealings with in the past.

rsser
21st August 2010, 09:34 AM
Yes. There's no external box damage where the outrigger was knocking around. You can hardly be expected to have the carrier wait while you assemble the stand, mount the lathe and go through a set of tests.

Choppadick
21st August 2010, 11:13 AM
Hi all, just become a member & am now the owner of Erns DVR XP.:D Hope to meet him next week & looking forward to getting lost in woodchips.Havn`t used a lathe in 45 years so will be on a big learning trip. Been looking at your site for some time & really learning a lot from you all. Great site.

Cheers :2tsup:

Mulgabill
21st August 2010, 11:53 AM
Welcome Choppadick!

This is certainly the place to glean some turning knowledge. The members are very forthcoming in imparting their experience.
And you certainly have purchased a good quality lathe from a real gentleman.:2tsup:
I have seen the lathe and it is in great condition. I am a little envious.:C

Ed Reiss
21st August 2010, 12:14 PM
Ahhhh, no worries Chopadick. It's like riding a bicycle the first time...easy/peasy

You'll do fine :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
21st August 2010, 12:29 PM
Chopadick , good choice of lathe :)

Dunno about your choice of hobby tho :D

Choppadick
21st August 2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the confidence building fellas, from memory the first bike ride was fairly shakey but all turned out good. Guess I am on the hunt for some tools now & will be off to Melb for wood show in Oct.
Hope to turn redgum legs for tables as have 16 slabs 3.00 X 1.500 X 8cm. Dressing down with a Wood Wizz.:)

Mulgabill
21st August 2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the confidence building fellas, from memory the first bike ride was fairly shakey but all turned out good. Guess I am on the hunt for some tools now & will be off to Melb for wood show in Oct.

Maybe you could call in and have a chat with the Forum members at the stand while you are at the T&WWS!

Hope to turn redgum legs for tables as have 16 slabs 3.00 X 1.500 X 8cm. Dressing down with a Wood Wizz.:)

It sounds like you have a few projects in mind. The red gum will give you a workout.

rsser
21st August 2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Dick.

Look forward to meeting you when you come down for the pick-up.

Just by the way, did you see the ad first here on the forum market place or on Ebay?

Choppadick
21st August 2010, 04:12 PM
Looking towards meeting the members at the show Mulgabill, my brother used to do red gum tables years ago so it will be a big challenge for me being an apprentice. His best was 6.70 mtre that went to a SA winery. Beautiful piece of work. Tough timber & moves like Madonna.
Cheers from Choppa

Choppadick
21st August 2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks rsser, trying to get things done outside but raining on & off. Thought you might be on the ski boards by now or is it to cold ?
I saw the DVR-XP first on the forum site & waited patiently for some sort of change to occur in the $ then chased it around while trying to work out or justify to my wife the benefit of owning such a good machine.She says how come you all have time to be on the forum & not in the shed making bowls & platters for the kitchen.
Cheers

hughie
21st August 2010, 04:51 PM
[She says how come you all have time to be on the forum & not in the shed making bowls & platters for the kitchen. What a perfect question that leads into ............ a DVR-XP :U

Welcome a board, you've got a march on many of us by starting out with the DVR. One of the good aspects of this forum is that there are no stupid questions and patience abounds.

I go along with Ed, I started out as a little tacker of 13 or so and life kinda interrupted the process for many years. Got back into it like falling off a log :U now I own several lathes and I have never counted up the tools :o :U

Choppadick
21st August 2010, 05:12 PM
Hi Hughie, just replaced a wall between kitchen & lounge with a laminated beam 5mtre x 35 cm x 6.5cm so a bit of house work might have helped to get the DVR. Had an AG pilot mate that every time he fixed the plane she rebuilt the kitchen. My motto is fix theirs first then go for the doctor for your own.:wink: Worked this time.:D

Mulgabill
21st August 2010, 05:25 PM
..... My motto is fix theirs first then go for the doctor for your own.:wink: Worked this time.:D

Except when SWMBO's list gets longer with every finished job???:oo::doh:

rsser
23rd August 2010, 05:50 PM
Vicmarc lathe update: VM are replacing the lathe asap and have said if I want to file the bed I can use the damaged one while the new one is on the road.

Big Shed
23rd August 2010, 06:27 PM
Good outcome Ern:2tsup:

Let's hope they attach the outrigger so that it won't come loose in transit.:no:

rsser
23rd August 2010, 06:32 PM
Well the outrigger had been fixed with 2 coach screws which we determined had pulled out in transit - the pallet is only softwood and the outrigger is quite a lump of steel and cast iron.

Frankly, if I'd been packing the thing I would've used all 4 available holes for screws.

Mulgabill
23rd August 2010, 06:59 PM
The only decent result Ern!:2tsup: VM has an international reputation to uphold.:thumbup:

rsser
23rd August 2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah. And they've been prompt about their responses. Brendan Stemp, the retailer, has provided prompt and solid backup too.

Mulgabill
23rd August 2010, 07:20 PM
....... Brendan Stemp, the retailer, has provided prompt and solid backup too.
And that is what I would expect of Brendan:brava

rsser
23rd August 2010, 07:24 PM
With the Teknatool lathe I also had good backup from Jim Carroll; that too suffered some damage in transit. Just a bent detent pin which GJ was able to quickly diagnose and Jim dealt with T/tool to get a replacement.

Manuka Jock
23rd August 2010, 10:28 PM
With the Teknatool lathe ...that too suffered some damage in transit.
Same carrier company Ern ?

rsser
24th August 2010, 09:16 AM
Don't know MJ. That one I picked up from Jim.

rsser
24th August 2010, 04:59 PM
Update: the carrier is not accepting liability but VM is not sandwiching me in the middle of that dispute and will have the defective unit picked up on Friday.

Big Shed
24th August 2010, 05:02 PM
Update: the carrier is not accepting liability

Now there's a surprise:doh:

Manuka Jock
24th August 2010, 05:05 PM
Update: the carrier is not accepting liability but VM is not sandwiching me in the middle of that dispute and will have the defective unit picked up on Friday.

VM :2tsup:

Grumpy John
24th August 2010, 08:08 PM

If the new VM is delivered by the same company as the first, just to get up their nose, make the driver wait until you have unpacked the lathe and FULLY inspected EVERY piece. If the driver kicks up, tell him why you're checking it out so thoroughly.

rsser
24th August 2010, 10:41 PM
Heh, I'll ask him to unpack it, then lift and carry it to the stand before signing off!

rsser
26th August 2010, 04:59 PM
I'd offered to Vicmarc to keep the accessories to simplify things but Victor is insistent that I get a whole new package.

I did push a bit on keeping the outrigger so as to make the new delivery a little easier with the pallet trolley on the dirt driveway and got the OK as long as it wasn't damaged. All the movements of it checked out OK; there's just some paint damage that I can live with.

rsser
29th August 2010, 01:12 PM
Dick and his wife Prue came down to pick up the Nova yesterday.

We took the headstock, banjo and tailstock off but it was still a fair effort to carry the rest out in one piece. Seemed simpler that way than dismantle GJ's thorough bed/legs fixings.

So now Dick's asking about which chisels and chucks. Hasn't taken long for the slippery slide to start ;-}

rsser
1st September 2010, 05:45 PM
Yesterday the carrier came down to pick up the VL175 and we had the by now standard fun of getting it onto the pallet trolley and down the dirt drive. Onto the truck by tailgate loader where he then lifted it onto a 2nd pallet. Ah hah. Instructions have been issued!

I emailed VM saying I was over the business of manual labour and next time they would need to send two blokes. Reply this morning: yes, of course.

I've coined a term for a new disease: Turning Deprivation Syndrome.

It's exacerbated by seeing piles of wood, or a lathe stand without a lathe.

Dunno what the cure is, short of getting a lathe and producing some curlies.

RETIRED
6th September 2010, 10:05 AM
You can use one of mine here if the urge gets too much.:D

rsser
6th September 2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks .

The new 'long bed' VL175 should arrive this week :wink:

Choppadick
6th September 2010, 08:50 PM
Hope you get up & running with the VL175 Ern or you might start to fret. Got 3 tools on ebay last week ( Marples) & got the DVR spinning yesterday, very impressed with it to. Runs so smooth. Still looking at different chucks but undecided as to what would be the best, maybe someone can suggest a good one? Also thinking of making some tools on Knud Olands style after I clean the wood shavings up from yesterdays play around.
Really pleased with the lathe, thanks Ern.
Cheers Dick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2010, 10:50 PM
The new 'long bed' VL175 should arrive this week :wink:

Enjoy! :2tsup: Hope it's the end of your troubles.

Although I'm a tad surprised you didn't settle on the VL300 instead. :;

rsser
7th September 2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks Andy.

Yeah, outboard on the VL300 could have solved some of my probs I expect. But a good many shekels more than the 175.

rsser
7th September 2010, 04:02 PM
Question:

How many calls to the freight company does it take to confirm a delivery time?

Answer:

What's your mobile phone cap?

Jim Carroll
7th September 2010, 06:14 PM
Question:

How many calls to the freight company does it take to confirm a delivery time?

Answer:

What's your mobile phone cap?

And the more annoying phone calls means the long way round to your place.
They are not in any hurry

rsser
7th September 2010, 06:55 PM
Sods.

They delivered the lathe today, after multiple calls.

Despite being contracted to do a 2 man delivery, and it being on the docket, only the driver arrived.

Luckily my neighbour was at home. His back is as dodgy as mine but between the three of us we got it in, unpacked and up on the stand for some basic checks. Praise the ...

It cost me a slab. I've told Vicmarc it's their shout.

Sawdust Maker
7th September 2010, 10:04 PM
maybe you should've stayed with the DVR :p

where's the piccy
And I'm interested to see whether you get the slab :q