PDA

View Full Version : Lathe increases speed on its own

munruben
30th July 2010, 08:42 AM
My variable speed Dynalink (don't laugh) lathe wont stay at its lowest speed but keeps increasing its revs as I turn. what might be causing this? The handle that controls the speed of the lathe visibly moves clockwise and the revs increase without any help from me. this is a bit annoying when I try to turn something at a low speed.
any ideas guys?

oldiephred
30th July 2010, 08:59 AM
Not sure about that model but most have a series of indents in the frame ino which a spring loaded ball fits to hold the desired setting OR some require that the handle be pulled outward to disengage a retaining pin while resetting the speed. Some might have a simple friction system.

Good luck

hughie
30th July 2010, 09:22 AM
Most likely after checking the detents is that there is usually a system of spring which hold the variable drive pulleys together and as you change speed one opens up and the other closes. Most likely you have a spring problem and or a worn belt.
Check to see if any of the springs are damaged or broken it could either the driver or the driven.
Its not a uncommon fault with vari-speed drives and is easy to rectify. When you put them back together use a dry lube as this will not attract the dust and will save having to go back and clean the dust off etc as it stiffens up.

Annoying? Yes, major issue? No, as it can be readily fixed and when you do it, it should provide many years of service before it occurs again

munruben
30th July 2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys will have to investigate further and see if I can see what is causing the problem.

Rifleman1776
30th July 2010, 11:57 PM
You didn't say, but I'm surmising this is a Reeve's type VS drive.
I would suggest just a good cleaning of all parts, springs, shafts, and especially the detents.

Cliff Rogers
31st July 2010, 09:33 AM
John, your lathe is trying to tell you something. :D

munruben
31st July 2010, 02:43 PM
John, your lathe is trying to tell you something. :DYeah, but whats it saying Cliff?:)

munruben
31st July 2010, 02:45 PM
You didn't say, but I'm surmising this is a Reeve's type VS drive.
I would suggest just a good cleaning of all parts, springs, shafts, and especially the detents.Not sure about the Reeves type thing but I think a good cleaning will be in order for sure. Thanks :2tsup:

hughie
31st July 2010, 02:52 PM
John, here we go this will help with your variable speed drive and give you an idea of what going on under the hood. This type is pretty well standard for vari speed belt drives and all vari speed belt drives are commonly called Reeves.

Continuously variable transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission)

wheelinround
31st July 2010, 02:59 PM
John hang 5 will be right there :U

Hope its sorted soon otherwise Erns got a DVRxp for sale :;

Hughie If you come across one of these File:Swashplate anim metal.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swashplate_anim_metal.gif) :D:;
or should I steel the sons

hughie
31st July 2010, 03:03 PM
or should I steel the sons

steel it :U :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
31st July 2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but whats it saying Cliff?:)
Geeze you're slow john.... :rolleyes: Oops, I think I said it.... :- :D

munruben
31st July 2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks Ray, thanks Hughie, :2tsup:

munruben
31st July 2010, 04:58 PM
Geeze you're slow john.... :rolleyes: Oops, I think I said it.... :- :DHey Cliff! You can go off people you know.:D

RicB
31st July 2010, 05:20 PM
The handle that controls the speed of the lathe visibly moves clockwise and the revs increase without any help from me.

Hmmm, could be a woodergeist :oo: :rofl:

wheelinround
31st July 2010, 05:29 PM
John needs to peddle faster :q thats all

skot
31st July 2010, 06:31 PM
munruben,
Has it only started recently..if so there is a logical explanation...with the election getting nearer and all the politicians producing so much 'SPIN', you must be getting some of the overflow.

munruben
31st July 2010, 08:19 PM
Hmmm, could be a woodergeist :oo: :rofl:Now I'm worried,:oo::oo:

munruben
1st August 2010, 10:52 PM
I'm gonna get my own back on some of you guys one day.:D

Cliff Rogers
1st August 2010, 11:24 PM
You might have to take the advice of your lathe if that is going to happen. :p

RicB
2nd August 2010, 09:29 AM
If your not sure how to get back at everyone, ask your lathe, it should be able to "bring you up to speed" :pointlaugh:

munruben
2nd August 2010, 09:32 AM
If your not sure how to get back at everyone, ask your lathe, it should be able to "bring you up to speed" :pointlaugh:Actually, it's just going round in circles.:p:)

wheelinround
2nd August 2010, 10:45 AM
Imitation is flattery John never heard of it from machines before though :q

A stupid question?? do you have a strong magnet anywhere near the headstock??

munruben
4th August 2010, 09:01 AM
Imitation is flattery John never heard of it from machines before though :q

A stupid question?? do you have a strong magnet anywhere near the headstock??Hi Ray, no no magnets other than the one on my right wrist bangle but would certainly not be strong enough to do anything like this.

Rifleman1776
5th August 2010, 01:05 AM
munruben,
Has it only started recently..if so there is a logical explanation...with the election getting nearer and all the politicians producing so much 'SPIN', you must be getting some of the overflow.

"spin"???
Over here we don't have much spin at election time.
But the vast amount of 'hot air' is pretty incredible. :o