PDA

View Full Version : Carbatec 8 inch Jointer

jong
1st August 2010, 08:49 PM
Delivery
Arrived on the day Carbatec said it would, two boxes on a pallet. The driver wheeled it down the driveway to my garage. Good service from both Carbatec and the freight company.

Assembly
I put the wheel on cabinet, the table assembly on the cabinet with the help of a shop crane, attached the belt, switch and the fence. Clean the grease off.

Setup
The belt was good to go, tension and alignment was good out of the box.

The fence was not parallel but it was easy to adjust, loosen one end of the track the fence moves on and the is a cam to adjust it. Setting it to 90 degree though seems really awkward, there is just level and a lock.

The out feed table was 0.2mm off on one side with the cutter head. The in feed table was 0.5mm too low near the cutter head. To adjust the tables I removed the top set screw and loosened the bottom one for each cam. The cams need a pin style wrench which I don't have but the ones close to the cutter head are easy to turn with just a pair of pliers pushed against the pin slots. The ones at the ends I couldn't turn at all but luckily I only had to adjust the ones close to the cutter head to get them aligned.

The blades were setup out of the box.

Summary
I am quite happy with it, it seems very good value.

Pros
The tables and fence are dead flat. The machine once it gets up to speed is smooth and quiet.
Comes with wheels and push pads.
Cons
There was a little rust at the bottom of the cabinet.
Setting the fence angle is a pain.
The manual, use the one for the Grizzly G0490 instead.

Don't know what the deal is with not being able to adjust the cams on the ends.