PDA

View Full Version : Help! need some advice about furniture making

Christography
1st August 2010, 11:19 PM
Hey people,

I joined this website to ask for some information and advice about doing a furniture maker/cabinet maker trade. I am just curious what the work is like. I'm really interested in making furniture. I just don't want to work in a factory where your stuck working on the same item all day. I would be more interested in handmade/custom work.

But yeah If anyone can give me information about the trade I would really appreciate it.
Cheers, Chris

artme
2nd August 2010, 07:57 AM
G'day Chris and welcome to the forum!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have a check through all the various fora here an put your request in the "most likely to get a response" ones. That way you are more likely to pick up some leads.

Also : Have you tried TAFE??

Good luck.

Christography
2nd August 2010, 11:23 AM
I did ask a careers consultant at tafe the other week. But he seemed to be more interested in me finishing my photography course. I'll try asking him again though

I will also try out the other thread you recommended.

thanks artme

Christos
6th August 2010, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the forum. I am not able to give advise on your possible path to take regarding making furniture but there are a few people on this forum making a living out of it.

Without knowning too much about you and this being very general, I have always found that if I am close to completing a course of study, just a little push from my end gets me over that course. I may not use the results of that course but at least I got a chance to finish. I do feel better when doing that. :roll:

Christography
6th August 2010, 02:12 PM
Hey

I'm actually not sure what type of job i want to get into to. I'm just considering a trade as it's a job you can always come back too. I personally would find furniture making the most rewarding out of all the trades. I just hope I could get into custom/handmade furniture making.

Hopefully I can get some more advice from people

Thanks for replying christos

Joosh
6th August 2010, 06:09 PM
im only speaking from what ive been told as i am still at school but

1. Furniture making is becoming harder to get into as people are going more the shops selling cheap pine furniture

2. Sometimes when you choose something as a career you lose interest in it as a hobby

just what ive been told

Christography
6th August 2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah I went to tafe today. They said that most stores get there furniture mass produced or imported as it's cheaper.

I might consider doing the cert in furniture making, then just doing it as a hobby. Haha yeah joosh I studied to do photography and soon decieded I didnt want to do it as a career as I knew I wouldve lost interest in it. I now do that as a hobby.

munruben
6th August 2010, 06:58 PM
Working with wood is a great hobby for me and a pleasure. Don't know if it would have been such a pleasure if it was something I did for a living.

Christography
6th August 2010, 07:24 PM
thanks for the advice munruben

groeneaj
6th August 2010, 11:09 PM
Working with wood is a great hobby for me and a pleasure. Don't know if it would have been such a pleasure if it was something I did for a living.

Exactly what I think as well. I have been thinking about becoming a Carpenter, but I don't want it to spoil my hobby.