PDA

View Full Version : Timber Decking

Davidd
11th October 2004, 04:44 PM
Hello all,

My wife and I will be soon putting together a 3.8m round gazebo kit in our backyard. The gazebo is fairly simple in design, 6 x round treated pine posts (100mm or 150mm, cannot remember which!!) with a steel frame roof onto which thatch tiles will be laid.

The problem we have is, what to have as a floor. The area it is going into is currently grassed, however, we have two options that we are considering, a concrete slab or a timber floor.

Now, with my limited experience, I think I could manage a concrete slab. However a timber deck/floor is going to present some problems. From the plans I have been given, the posts are spaced 1730mm around a 3460mm circle.

My questions are,
Should I be considering a timber floor? ie is it possible?
How would a timber deck be fixed to the gazebo?
Would it sit on the ground?
What sort of timber would be best?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards...David

Trav
12th October 2004, 11:22 AM
David

I personally think that a wooden floor is much nicer than concrete. But then I hate pouring concrete or footings with a passion that is almost holy.

To have a raised timber floor, you will need to span some joists and bearers between your posts - I'm not sure how this sits with the design you have.

You could notch out the posts and then partially house the joists into the posts. I suspect if it is a 3.8 m diameter gazebo, you will need some kind of support in the middle for the joists. My suggestion would be to place an extra post in the centre and then run two perpendicular joists so that the area is divided into 4 segments. The gaps at the outside of the gazebo would still be too big to span with normal decking timber so you would then need to put in some kind of noggin between the other two joists about a third or a quarter of the distance out. And then add some extra joists to make sure the gaps are no bigger then 450 centres.

Sounds like a big job.

An easier solution would be to lay treated pine sleepers straight into the ground and pin them down.

Or the best solution (IMHO) is to pave the area.

Hope my very confusing message is helpful!

Trav

journeyman Mick
12th October 2004, 12:07 PM
A hexagonal deck would look really striking! A centre stump with joists radiating out to each post and a trimmer between each joist on the outside of your hexagon. You'd probably need another trimmer somewhere around centre span with a short joist from there to the outside trimmer. If you can get decking that isn't reeded (ie without grooves) then you shouldn't have too much waste, you can turn your offcuts over and use them on another section.

Mick

Davidd
14th October 2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks Mick and Trav, your thoughts are appreciated. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a wooden floor.

Regards...David

Sigidi
15th October 2004, 10:05 PM
Hey Dave,
many a great idea has come from Mick, have a think about what he said...

IMHO (accepting I am a timber fanatic) Mick's suggestion will be a very stricking option and if you run into any trouble, ther is always heaps of help here.

BTW where about in Bris-Vegas are you? I have a B-I-L in Bris who does this kind of thing for a living - might be able to help you out with ideas, comments, suggestions?