PDA

View Full Version : Steel price rise?

Gate_Keeper
3rd August 2010, 12:21 PM
Hi firstly thanks for all the answers to my questions a few weeks back ended up going with the Fielders dealer in Newcastle and worked out well with cheaper delivery as it comes out of Ingleburn 10 minutes away from me.

My question is about this steel price rise that is apparently coming in, A fair dinkum dealer rang me for a follow up and said if I pay in full today I will save the 6% price rise so I ring the Fielders mob and they say they have no price rise when I said Ranbuild is also advertising it and he said google bluescope steel price rise and see how many people are advertising the price rise.
I have done this and it seems only these shed companies are saying bluescope is having a price rise, does anyone know if there really is a price rise or the companies just after an excuse to put the price up. Wouldn't all steel sellers be advertising a price rise?
I only ask cause I can get the fair dinkum shed cheaper than the fielders one if i order this week but they were very unprofessional when i was getting quotes i'm also am worried i will ave a shed turn up and council have said no and I am lumped with it.

Thanks in advance

subieboy
9th August 2010, 08:22 PM
Its a hard-sell tactic, in the current market I would not worry about it.. go to one of the other dealers/suppliers

danielhobby
10th August 2010, 12:28 AM
hi,i have recieved in the mail once a month for the last three months a notification that bluescope is increasing prices by firstly 7% then 17% then 6% on the products i purchase for structural steelwork and the manufacture of spiral staircases.Now i dont know how this translates for purlins and colourbond etc but bluescope and onsellers DONT miss a trick when it comes to invoices etc.by the way a friend of mine purchased a shed during the last price gouge and was pinged for the "extra " during delivery waiting period,check your fine print because i would be very surprised if the supplier will take a loss or a drop in profits.cheers danny

Barry_White
10th August 2010, 01:33 PM
Just as a point Ranbuild is owned by Bluescope Lysaght which is a subsidiary of Bluescope Steel. Fair Dinkum Sheds is owned by Stramit Steel who are in direct competition with Bluescope Lysaght.

Stramit may very well hold their steel pricing but if Bluescope Steel has a price rise it will eventually effect Stramit in the long run.

The other thing is Bluecope Lysaght buys all their steel from Bluescope Steel whereas Stramit may very well source a lot of their steel from imported sources e.g China.

What Ranbuild is telling you would be the truth as to their cutoff point because if they have the orders placed by a certain date they can honour the old price.

One other thing I know which shed I would prefer.

DAMHIK.

banjoping
10th August 2010, 06:09 PM
What Barry said is essentially correct. The timing of price rises to end customers depends upon the price from the sheet and coil supplier, to the rollformer, to the end supplier (the shed supplier).

Bluescope have again raised some of their pricing for their sheet and coil. Depending on their competitive position, these prices may be absorbed by the rollformer, or end supplier or both, or may be passed through.

Stramit tend to import some coil so they may be able to absorb some of the increase.

Gate_Keeper
11th August 2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks everyone, went with fair dinkum this afternoon, paid all up front just hoping it will all be there when i get it.
Scott (salesman) tells me stramit and lysaght got a rebate for each coil they bought of colorbond from Bluescope and they ends on friday so they are passing on the rise, across the board steel price rise in the wind for october aparently.

banjoping
11th August 2010, 11:03 AM
I have been in the steel game for about 8 years, and it goes up at least 10-15 every year, compounding.

It is not sustainable.

RWC
16th December 2010, 12:16 PM
Unlike the previous price rise (September 2010), this price rise (January 2011) is approximately 5% and is limited to the cladding only, not the frame. There have been roughly 3 price rises per year over the last couple of years, and until Iron-ore prices stabilise, predicted to happen in the next 24 months with a great deal of additional ore capacity coming on line, it likely to stay this way.

For a standard 6 meters wide * 6 meters long * 2.4 high you are talking less than a hundred dollars. You should be able to negotiate a discount to cover this amount if you wish to buy after January.

Check out blog.shedeye.com.au » Steel Shed Price Rise – Buy NOW! (http://blog.shedeye.com.au/2010/12/steel-shed-price-rise-buy-now/)

Thanks everyone, went with fair dinkum this afternoon, paid all up front just hoping it will all be there when i get it.
Scott (salesman) tells me stramit and lysaght got a rebate for each coil they bought of colorbond from Bluescope and they ends on friday so they are passing on the rise, across the board steel price rise in the wind for october aparently.

Shedblog Au
17th December 2010, 08:03 AM
Unlike the previous price rise (September 2010), this price rise (January 2010) is approximately 5% and is limited to the cladding only,

:2tsup: That would be Jan 2011..... and affects any product produced from colorbond. eg gutters, downpipes, flashing, fencing,cladding etc etc.

RWC
17th December 2010, 08:10 AM
:2tsup: That would be Jan 2011..... and affects any product produced from colorbond. eg gutters, downpipes, flashing, fencing,cladding etc etc.

Yes you are spot on, the gutters and downpipes have almost no impact on the price though. Thanks for the date clarification.