PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Big Gulp

Grumpy John
4th August 2010, 09:44 AM
I'm sick of the ductwork on the floor behind my lathe and I am thinking of mounting my Big Gulp collector from the roof beam. Has anyone out there mounted their dust collection above their lathe in such a way that it can easily be moved so as to be effective wherever on the lathe you're working?

143749 143750 143751

Ed Reiss
4th August 2010, 12:04 PM
GJ, if it's only a matter of getting the hose off the floor, use baling wire hung from the joists to raise it up.

Sturdee
4th August 2010, 01:47 PM
John,

If you are using a cyclone than it's better to have all your ducting high and flexible hose coming down to your machines.

There are many ways to fit your gulp to a beam and allow you to move it. One that comes to mind is the way I made the overhead guard on the TS which was using the extendable pole from an old beach umbrella. An other method would be to use the movable arms from a adjustable light fitting. I use an old flexible hose which can be pulled in and out that came with the GMC DC that I use as booster pumps.

You can also use your current stand and hang it on a movable trolley set up (similar to the movable chain hoists) hanging from your beam.

BTW the flexible hose in pic 2 is way too long to be effective.

If you are ever down my way and want to see how I've done it let me know.

Peter.

Jim Carroll
4th August 2010, 02:37 PM
John what you need is one of those arms the dentists use for their lights, you know the one where they shine down your throat.

The arm is flexible enough for you to move it from over the top to under the peice if needed.

Sawdust Maker
4th August 2010, 03:19 PM
GJ
I reckon your shed is a tad tidy
I also note that you're still referring to last years Carbatec catelogue :doh:

I'd cut the hose and bring it up the wall and then straight across the back of the lathe.
It's what I'm going to do with mine when I reposition the lathe and dusty sometime in the future

but I'm also trying to work out the hanging from the rafter idea that you're grappling with
I'd be interested in what you come up with

Grumpy John
4th August 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm trying to track down one of those articulated arms that you see the fume extractors attached to in welding bays. That would be perfect, but so far the only way to get one of the arms is to buy all the ductwork and hood :((. Bit pointless as I've got all the ductwork and hood already.

Waiting on a call back from these guys.

Sturdee
4th August 2010, 10:36 PM
John,

I was at Pop's shed tonight and they had adjustable dust arms (http://www.carbatec.com.au/adjustable-dust-arm_c1850) from Carbatec hanging from the ceiling.

That might solve your problem.

Peter.

Grumpy John
5th August 2010, 09:41 AM
John,

I was at Pop's shed tonight and they had adjustable dust arms (http://www.carbatec.com.au/adjustable-dust-arm_c1850) from Carbatec hanging from the ceiling.

That might solve your problem.

Peter.

Bloody perfect :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:. I was in Carba-Tec Springvale yesterday looking at dust extraction and didn't see them :(. I'll get on the blower at 9 and find out more.

Grumpy John
5th August 2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks to Sturdee, I no longer have ductwork dragging on the floor behind the lathe :2tsup:.

The arm is screwed to the bench top and the unit can be adjusted to suit the headstock at either end of the bed. The existing ducting is a bit stiff and unmanageable and I am seriously considering getting 2 metres of super flex hose (http://www.carbatec.com.au/super-flex-dust-extractor-hose_c19335) which should make adjustement easier.

143866 143867

It was easy to fit the big gulp to the arm. All I had to do was remove the bracket from the supplied chute and fit it to the big gulp. While I was at it I used a leftover piece of PVC downpipe to make up a sleeve so I could join a shut off gate to the big gulp sealed it with some silicone and screwed the bracket on and Bob's your mothers brother.

143868 143869

It was easy to turn the right angle fitting vertical as I still haven't got around to gluing all the ductwork up (I had a feeling that I was going to change my mind at least once :rolleyes:).

This means that I now have a stand for sale, a steal at $50 . The big gulp stand sells for $125 with hood and the hood is $25.

143871 143872

Sturdee
5th August 2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks to Sturdee, I no longer have ductwork dragging on the floor behind the lathe :2tsup:.

My pleasure John, it was fortunate that our woodturners club had a meeting at Pop's shed where they demonstrated rock inlays. Whilst there I saw those arm and I asked where they got them from. Worked out well.

Peter.

Big Shed
5th August 2010, 07:52 PM
Looking good John:2tsup:

Just a suggestion, to improve airflow, why don't you bring the PVC pipe closer to the arm. All reports suggests that the flexible hose impedes airflow far more than the 100mm PVC pipe. I would bring the pipe at least to the start of the horizontal arm.

Grumpy John
5th August 2010, 09:34 PM
Fred, the horizontal bar needs to move up and down. I may run PVC up to the lock screw on the vertical arm and run Superflex from there. No need to rush these things though :no:.

rsser
7th August 2010, 04:15 PM
Neat solution.

Though why you no longer want to match the lathe tango with the dusty tripover I don't understand ;-}

I can recommend the superflex hose, esp in the 3m form. For some reason you always need more.

Fredo
8th August 2010, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone,
John - I guess I'm a little late with this post as you have already modified your system. But here is my fix for the problem. My articulated arm set up is very simple to make and works exceptionally well. It will pick up dust anywhere along the bed and is very easy to position around and close to the job. I may have already posted these pics in the past but here they are again for anyone who is interested....

Fredo :U

RETIRED
8th August 2010, 02:00 PM
That is a good use for a bowl that you went too far on.:D

rsser
8th August 2010, 02:11 PM
Waste not want not ;-}

Shop-made medium gulp; prob followed a big 'sh*t!'