PDA

View Full Version : new chainsaw.

weisyboy
7th August 2010, 01:14 PM
one of the boys cooked my 390 yesterday,

so its time for a new chainsaw, im tossing up between the 441 and teh 460.

STIHL - MS 441 Magnum (http://www.stihl.com.au/Products/product.cfm?iModelID=599)
STIHL - MS 460 Magnum (http://www.stihl.com.au/Products/product.cfm?iModelID=403)

the caring fro nature fuel efficient bit turns me off the 441

441 $1555.00
460 $1599.00

0pinion please.:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
7th August 2010, 01:20 PM
460, more power, same weight.

weisyboy
7th August 2010, 01:30 PM
but how do they get the power outa the same weight. is it just suped up ie will wear out quicker.

Cliff Rogers
7th August 2010, 02:23 PM
Slightly bigger engine displacement.

Exador
7th August 2010, 02:50 PM
Get a Shindaiwa 757. More power, less weight and they're bullet-proof.:q

itsposs
7th August 2010, 03:03 PM
460 if ya travelling (cause nearly every town has a stihl dealer for parts and most redneck populations
cant spell or pronounce any other brands so there for wouldnt be able to get you parts.) I got to have a play with one of those Shindaiwa 757 chainsaws at Highfields near Toowoomba 2 weeks ago all I can say is wow for a middle saw it would almost be perfect.

BobL
7th August 2010, 05:13 PM
the caring fro nature fuel efficient bit turns me off the 441
0pinion please.:2tsup:

Yeah the fact that it's smoother means it's not a saw for a real man.

Sigidi
7th August 2010, 07:38 PM
My opinion - get rid of the bugger who cooked the 390!!!!

Rowley
7th August 2010, 07:38 PM
I have a Shindy,it never lets me down. I had a Sthil 08s bought it new about 30years ago a good saw but it got too heavy.
Rowley.

texx
7th August 2010, 08:49 PM
i have a mate that uses his saws every day and has tried em all and he swears by his 460 mags.

weisyboy
7th August 2010, 08:54 PM
ok so it looks like the 460 is the go.

my saw place has a 460 in stock but no 441.:2tsup:

nifty
7th August 2010, 11:05 PM
Carl, i was lucky enough to catch up to one of the WA stihl reps about a month ago and he gave me one of each saws that were demos to play with for a week. My conclusion was the 460 ate the 441 for breakfast and then went out to lunch! Same weight, more power i thought and the new lesser vibration system on the 441 felt a bit limp wristed. you felt as if you werent leaning into the log as hard. 460 for me:2tsup: Oh and what Alan said lol

InterTD6
7th August 2010, 11:42 PM
My opinion - get rid of the bugger who cooked the 390!!!!
Might have been the bloke who mixed the fuel & unsackable.
regards inter

BobL
8th August 2010, 03:27 AM
Same weight, more power i thought and the new lesser vibration system on the 441 felt a bit limp wristed. you felt as if you werent leaning into the log as hard. 460 for me:2tsup: Oh and what Alan said lol

The 460 is only the same weight dry. The 460 is 150 grams heavier when full of fuel and oil and because it uses substantially more fuel it has to be filled up more often.

I agree the 460 is a superior saw for straight speed cutting but then again it should be as it has a 7% bigger engine capacity. Power to cc ratios are the same.

if you have to do a lot of work that requires a 70 to 90 cc saw the 460 wins hands down. The 441 antivibe just takes some getting used to , - coming from an 076 I reckon it took me 2 months of use to appreciate it. I also bought my 441 as part of a deal with other stuff and was going to sell it but after using it for a while it kinda grew on me an now it is my favourite small saw.

Stumpkicker
8th August 2010, 11:58 AM
You'll be glad for an excuse to toss the 390. Go for a 361. Great fuel economy, not for economy or enviro sake but less time walking back to the truck/ fuel container and will out preform the 390 (if that was suffice before). 460 would be fun though.

weisyboy
8th August 2010, 06:04 PM
see i have a 21, 26, 2x 34, had a 39, and the 3120.

i need something to go between the 34 and the 3120 the 39 wasn't quite good enough.

will be using it for docking 300-600mm diameter logs.

and falling stuff around that same size.

anything bigger ill use the 3120. anything smaller i dont use.:2tsup:

Exador
8th August 2010, 09:44 PM
will be using it for docking 300-600mm diameter logs.

and falling stuff around that same size.

Just what I use the shindaiwa for...

Travis Edwards
8th August 2010, 09:48 PM
the 460 has an edge as far as power goes and personally it feels more comfortable for me. Ask around though 'cos I know of a few guys recently who got the 460s for about $1200 on a stihl runout special. the 441 does have a few advantages, it is supposed to have much cleaner exhaust emissions and is basically made to meet emission standards which will be implemented or have been in some places such as california which will see the 460 ruled out for many business applications in years to come supposedly. personally I would buy the 660 over both of them, it is similar in size and not a lot heavier but a shipload more of a saw. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Travis Edwards
8th August 2010, 09:51 PM
Just what I use the shindaiwa for...

Then he would have to buy new bars and run 2 different sizes of 3/8 chain.:doh:

weisyboy
8th August 2010, 10:45 PM
yer all my bars are 3003 mounting and 63 groove

itsposs
8th August 2010, 11:03 PM
how about trying an Efco 162 61.5cc 6 kg loaded 3/8 18inch bar @ $999
or an Efco MT7200 70.8cc 7.8kg loaded 3/8 20inch bar @ $1099

weisyboy
8th August 2010, 11:05 PM
sorry boys i am a stihl man and wont buy anything else, i tried husky and im back to stihl for good.

or i could buy one of them hight quality burmar saws:)

itsposs
8th August 2010, 11:16 PM
I think ya should Carl , doesnt hurt to experience new things but hell I wanna buy a MS381 as middle saw and use the 660 for slabs

Exador
9th August 2010, 08:04 AM
Then he would have to buy new bars and run 2 different sizes of 3/8 chain.:doh:

Or he could just leave the stihls in the shed...:q

or replace the shndy sprocket.

As it happens, I get all my chains from a mate who gets them from a bloke who has a hire business and sends out each saw he hires with a new chain then sells the old ones cheap. They all come from stihls and go on my mate's stihls, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.

I'm not even sure what size the original shindy chain is supposed to be, in all honesty.

As an aside,my mate has just got himself a diamond wheeel for his oregon grinder, which is incredible. If it wasn't over $300 worth,I'd grab one tomorrow.

Sorry, can't help myself.

Travis Edwards
10th August 2010, 06:50 PM
Or he could just leave the stihls in the shed...:q

or replace the shndy sprocket.

As it happens, I get all my chains from a mate who gets them from a bloke who has a hire business and sends out each saw he hires with a new chain then sells the old ones cheap. They all come from stihls and go on my mate's stihls, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.

I'm not even sure what size the original shindy chain is supposed to be, in all honesty.

As an aside,my mate has just got himself a diamond wheeel for his oregon grinder, which is incredible. If it wasn't over $300 worth,I'd grab one tomorrow.

Sorry, can't help myself.

:o:o:o:o:o You rave about how good they are and don't even know what size chain they run!!!! Haven't you ever had to replace one??? makes me wonder if they really are that good that they don't blunten chains, maybe all the stihl and husky nuts have been flogging the wrong horse after all, A chainsaw that doesn't wear out chains, I WANT ONE.

seriously they use the same bars and chains as husky, 3/8 58 thou or in some cases if you are in america you may find a 50 thou.

buy the ms 660 weisy

Travis Edwards
10th August 2010, 06:55 PM
how about trying an Efco 162 61.5cc 6 kg loaded 3/8 18inch bar @ $999
or an Efco MT7200 70.8cc 7.8kg loaded 3/8 20inch bar @ $1099

they are reliable saws the Oleo macs/efcos/olympiks generally a little heavier and a little bit less powerful for size but there are guys out there who used to love them.

weisyboy
10th August 2010, 07:13 PM
braught home my new ms460 mag today, she hauls threw the timber alright.

$1599 list price is $1799.

Exador
10th August 2010, 08:32 PM
:o:o:o:o:o You rave about how good they are and don't even know what size chain they run!!!! Haven't you ever had to replace one???

Yes,lots of them. I told you that I get them from my mate and just make them to suit, length-wise. Never had a problem. Should I?

makes me wonder if they really are that good that they don't blunten chains, maybe all the stihl and husky nuts have been flogging the wrong horse after all, A chainsaw that doesn't wear out chains, I WANT ONE.

Makes me wonder if you ever read a post before responding to it. No need to spoil a good dose of righteous indignation, eh?

seriously they use the same bars and chains as husky, 3/8 58 thou or in some cases if you are in america you may find a 50 thou.

buy the ms 660 weisy

Seriously, I use the same chains as my mate uses on his saws of equivalent size. On occasion, I've even managed to grab one off the hook that was the right length. Now,that may not sit well with you, but it works just fine for me. So does the saw.

weisyboy
10th August 2010, 08:46 PM
craig if you are using stihl chains then your bar bust be buggered.

teh shindy rns the same bars as teh huskys with a 50 or 53 bar grove where as teh tihls run a 63 grove there is no way a chain off a stihl would fit on a shindy bar if it was in good condition.

Exador
10th August 2010, 09:00 PM
craig if you are using stihl chains then your bar bust be buggered.

teh shindy rns the same bars as teh huskys with a 50 or 53 bar grove where as teh tihls run a 63 grove there is no way a chain off a stihl would fit on a shindy bar if it was in good condition.

The bar's not buggered, but it's not a standard bar, it's a 24" jobby.

Travis Edwards
11th August 2010, 07:38 PM
Yes,lots of them. I told you that I get them from my mate and just make them to suit, length-wise. Never had a problem. Should I?

Makes me wonder if you ever read a post before responding to it. No need to spoil a good dose of righteous indignation, eh?

Seriously, I use the same chains as my mate uses on his saws of equivalent size. On occasion, I've even managed to grab one off the hook that was the right length. Now,that may not sit well with you, but it works just fine for me. So does the saw.

can't you even tell when someone is taking the Craig. Re READ what I wrote and you will realise That I was just trying to have a laugh with you.

As for the 24 inch bar comment it is irrelevant how long the bar is, it is however relevant how wide the groove is you are either using chains which have heavily worn drive links or the groove has been worn oversize as Carl said the shindaiwas use the same bars as husky and they are only ever 50 or 58 thou stihl is rarely anything other than 63 thou in australia at least.

Exador
12th August 2010, 06:39 AM
can't you even tell when someone is taking the Craig. Re READ what I wrote and you will realise That I was just trying to have a laugh with you.

As for the 24 inch bar comment it is irrelevant how long the bar is, it is however relevant how wide the groove is you are either using chains which have heavily worn drive links or the groove has been worn oversize as Carl said the shindaiwas use the same bars as husky and they are only ever 50 or 58 thou stihl is rarely anything other than 63 thou in australia at least.

It can be a bit hard on here to tell when a comment is tongue-in-cheek. Sorry if I took it the wrong way.

As for the bar, I specified the 24" bar when I bought it. It's not a standard Shindaiwa item. The 488 has a smaller chain and groove, but I've only ever replaced two chains on it cos I only use it for light docking, especially off-cuts for firewood. Quite a nice little saw to use, very reliable, but relatively gutless, with no torque to speak of at all. The 757 is much more "grunty", but still quite high-revving.

Perhaps the guy who sold it to me supplied a "stihl" bar? Either way,it's been using stihl chains since nearly new and it's not badly worn even now.

Ignorance is bliss, eh? :U

weisyboy
12th August 2010, 07:21 PM
there ya go. boy shee cuts good.

Travis Edwards
18th August 2010, 07:53 PM
Thats a high quality pic there carl...lol:2tsup::D

weisyboy
18th August 2010, 08:23 PM
cant give to mutch away:;

Cliff Rogers
18th August 2010, 09:14 PM
I can tell you that the blade cover you got for it is too short & the spare chain is way too long. :p

weisyboy
18th August 2010, 09:28 PM
cover is a bit short.

the spare chain is about 3 times to long actually.

got me a 24" bar and 2 loops of 3/8 lp chain from Laurie (sawchain). she cuts beautifully.

Travis Edwards
19th August 2010, 08:45 PM
should have got the dealer to throw in the 25 inch bar as part of the deal carl I looked at them recently and the deal I could wangle was with a 25 inch bar and 3 chains $1595. personally I wouldn't run less than that on one, but a mate recently got one from a dealer nearby for $1200 or there bout. my local is advertising the 441 for $1485 but that is what they should sell me a 660 for...:D

Travis Edwards
19th August 2010, 09:03 PM
so why low profile chain carl??

the whole idea of the taller chain is so that the chain can carry more wood through the cut hence the fact that 404 is bigger and with a saw of that size you should have the power to drive standard 3/8 63 thou chain through a big log quicker than low profile chain will cut.

weisyboy
19th August 2010, 09:15 PM
thinner kerf mate.

i do a lot of post riping and my 210 will outrip any saw with bigger chain even teh 3120. all cos it has low profile chain.

she flys threw the cuts now.

i wouldn't have the 24" for falling i put the smaller bar back on. unless there bigger trees. its easier to control.

i riped out 30 posts for a job this morning with the 24" with the low pro. did it in under 30 mins.

Travis Edwards
19th August 2010, 09:29 PM
thinner kerf mate.

i do a lot of post riping and my 210 will outrip any saw with bigger chain even teh 3120. all cos it has low profile chain.

she flys threw the cuts now.

i wouldn't have the 24" for falling i put the smaller bar back on. unless there bigger trees. its easier to control.

i riped out 30 posts for a job this morning with the 24" with the low pro. did it in under 30 mins.

30 minutes for 30 posts what 1 foot long, 4 inches through the log ???...lol

seriously I need a saw that will drive a 30 inch + bar the 24 is just not long enough. some of the trees I have been cutting lately the 24 inch just will not reach the middle!!!!:oo:

itsposs
19th August 2010, 09:31 PM
I ve just had fella up here selling firewood processers he swears by those lopros to

weisyboy
19th August 2010, 09:33 PM
there fantastic mate.

especialy for ripping,

these were 6' splits.
cut 4 logs all up.
its good work if u can get it.

i can do 300 posts in a day with the saw no trouble. anyone should be able to

InterTD6
19th August 2010, 10:31 PM
there fantastic mate.

especialy for ripping,

these were 6' splits.
cut 4 logs all up.
its good work if u can get it.

i can do 300 posts in a day with the saw no trouble. anyone should be able to
Strike me, I nearly fell off my chair laughing reading this one. I didn't know they had headlights on them to work the full 24hrs in a day
regards inter

weisyboy
20th August 2010, 08:52 PM
mate get out into a post cutters camp. some of them boys will do 200 before lunch.

by no means is it easy work but its not that bad, just get stuck in and get it done.

you can get a post splitter cut ya logs up for less than $1 a post.:2tsup:

InterTD6
20th August 2010, 10:44 PM
mate get out into a post cutters camp. some of them boys will do 200 before lunch.

by no means is it easy work but its not that bad, just get stuck in and get it done.

you can get a post splitter cut ya logs up for less than $1 a post.:2tsup:
I didn't think it could get any funnier, but it has.
Lets see one man, 200 before lunch in 4.5hrs. Thats 270 minutes / 200 = 1.35 minutes per post, not even taking out refueling, sharpening, getting to the next log & having a drink of water. Just doesn't stack up.
BTW been going into the bush probably twice as long as you have been on this earth & have never seen one man cut 200 posts before lunch, although I have heard about it happening in the pub after 18 schooners of beer. The average number for one man cutting decent splits which weigh between 30 & 40 kg is around 70. Thats around 10 tonnes for 300 posts, or 30 for a toyota load.
If these guys are for real at a dollar a post , give me their number I could make a fortune out of their hard work & I would never cut another post.
regards inter

weisyboy
20th August 2010, 11:25 PM
obviously u havnt been to see anyone who can cut posts.

a post dosent weigh 40kg. more like 20kg.

anyone who only cuts 70 posts a day needs to find another job.

there are plenty of blokes around that will cut posts for $1.

im not gunna argue about something that i know is right.

InterTD6
20th August 2010, 11:31 PM
obviously u havnt been to see anyone who can cut posts.

a post dosent weigh 40kg. more like 20kg.

anyone who only cuts 70 posts a day needs to find another job.

there are plenty of blokes around that will cut posts for $1.

im not gunna argue about something that i know is right.
Dream on boy. BTW wheres their number I'm milling on 1800 acres of ironbark country presently & they can start tomorrow. After that there is another 2500 acres on the block next door. They would have to produce 2m posts of 30 to 40kg each, as this area is genuine cattle country & not a hobby farm area where toothpicks are acceptable. Nobody would buy them here at 20 kg a post ( and who would, there would be more sapwood than anything else in the post which would only last a few years )
regards onter

itsposs
21st August 2010, 01:52 AM
Did I ever tell ya s Ironbark is my favrite timber that an olive an walnut timber

weisyboy
21st August 2010, 06:59 PM
nice one:2tsup: