PDA

View Full Version : Giday folks

GreenTemple
7th August 2010, 08:54 PM
Lets all just assume I am a complete novice. Although I have done some tinkering with slap up jobs using a hand saw, a drill, some scraps of timber, a few screws, that sort of thing. On occasions I have even cleared the stuff off that has accumulated on a Triton workbench I got from somewhere and done a bit of timber butchering. But for all intents and purposes the work I have done has been held together by the sheer power of enough screws, nails or bolts. A set square wouldn't know what to make of it really.

But for some reason, suddenly I am mad keen to work with timber in a beautiful and lasting way. I love wood and really want to learn to treat it with respect. We are living on 3 acres, doing the self sufficiency thing, been here for a few years and now I am ready to start to tackle some building/making projects. I've got a lot lined up (and the wife has even more)

So here I am, ready to go, but like so many before me I don't really know where to start. The only stipulation I have is that I would like to use hand tools as a preference over power tools, although I will use power tools initially with a view to eventually phasing them out.

So, that all said, this is what I'm thinking... Perhaps with your help I can be like a guinea pig for people in my position. I have a garage/shed, that I am willing to use at least half of, and perhaps the whole thing eventually for a workshop. So, I thought we could all imagine that you have just been given an empty metal shed, solid construction, with two roller doors (which I don't mind getting rid of if it works out better that way) and a side door, no windows. Lets imagine that the concrete floor is swept clean and you are ready as a woodworker to take possession. What is the first thing I carry into that empty shed? Is my first project a work bench (given that I would really love to make my own bench and that I mostly want to work with hand tools)? Do I buy a specific wood working book? Do I do a Mr. Miagi style training where I am not allowed to touch a tool until I learn all about wood?

Anyone interested in the challenge?

Look forward to learning from you folks

Grahame

Christos
7th August 2010, 09:26 PM
You have asked a lot Grasshopper, (sorry wrong film or tv show). :)

Lets start by saying welcome to the forum. A bench is a good way to start but that does not mean it should be the first project, as you can get around that by a door and two saw horses.

I would choose a project from your list, decide how this is going to look and ask questions on that project. Use the tools as per that project. Buy tools based on that project. Once you have finished that project, choose another project from your list and the circle starts again.

I know you have asked for specific items to purchase so I will contribute with ruler and pencil. The list of tools will expand and so will the need to store them. :U

GreenTemple
7th August 2010, 09:44 PM
Excellent, thanks Christos. Already enjoying the advice.

So let's talk turkey...

When you say ruler, what are we talking? a 30cm steel ruler like the ones that got banned from school due to their secondary use as a weapon? or is there a better kind of ruler? Is there a Rolls Royce of rulers that will do the job better than others?

I have a pencil, so I will take it and put it in the shed tomorrow :U, unless I need one of those flat pencils carpenters use :q.

Perhaps my first project could be a couple of saw horses. I'm off to search the threads for saw horse designs.

I think I might be a little bit too excited.

GreenTemple
7th August 2010, 10:23 PM
OK, I'm going for a couple of the Chris Schwarz saw 'benches'. Hopefully I can decipher the plans I found. I reckon I might need a saw though, so I will add that to the pencil and ruler. The shed is starting to look too small already :U

And I can see I will need somewhere to store the pencil, ruler and saw.

Any recommendations on a good handsaw? The one I do have is a cheapy that has been abused beyond what is reasonable.

Manuka Jock
7th August 2010, 11:17 PM
The shed is starting to look too small already :U

Sheds always look too small , and usually are :D

artme
8th August 2010, 08:40 AM
G'day GT and welcome to the house o fmany addictions.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

There are many variations of the basice rul(er).Look up Incra rules and you will see what I mean! Then there are verniers and micrometers. To the measuring list you can also add calipers of all types, along with depth gauges, screw and size gauges, and and and........... well you get my drift.

Main thing is ENJOY!!!:U:U:U

munruben
8th August 2010, 04:31 PM
Welcome Grahame, good to have you aboard.:2tsup:

Christos
8th August 2010, 07:47 PM
When you say ruler, what are we talking? a 30cm steel ruler like the ones that got banned from school due to their secondary use as a weapon? or is there a better kind of ruler? Is there a Rolls Royce of rulers that will do the job better than others?

Yes there is and already mention one in this thread. No matter what you use for a project to measure always keep the same ruler to measure through out that project.

I have a pencil, so I will take it and put it in the shed tomorrow :U, unless I need one of those flat pencils carpenters use :q.

If you are going to do fine joinery then the flat pencils are not going to pass. I use these for rough marking out and go for very fine when I want to set a line. Even go for a marking knife to unsure that I am right on.

GreenTemple
8th August 2010, 08:35 PM
I've had a play around with my pencil and a tape measure today. I also added hammer, crappy little plastic mitre box and saw to the shed floor, but when my mitre box didn't have a 10 degree notch I had to call in the Triton 2000 work bench. So I have found some bits and pieces of various timbers strew around the disorganised property. Unfortunately none of it is in the imperial measurements that seem to come with Schwarz's plans. So already I am finding I have to tax my brain to see if I can adjust the measurements to suit the bits I have. I might start posting my questions on the building of the saw benches on the relevant thread rather than here.

So already the shed is filling (not to mention the shavings that seem to have covered the floor already!)

GreenTemple
11th August 2010, 01:42 PM
OK, I've nearly finished my first saw horse/bench and I've gathered up a few questions.

Given that I had to hand-saw a bunch of angles, both lateral and longitudinal, it has taken me a lot longer than I imagine it could given the right tools. So I am guessing that there is some kind of mitre saw set up that pretty much allows you to cut pretty much any angle accurately almost anywhere on a piece of wood? Something that clamps the saw to the wood so you don't get any movement. Am I right in assuming there are various options out there? I would be looking at a hand tool system rather than a power saw system. Any recommendations?

I've already realised how much I need a good ruler.

Now the other thing that I found when hand-sawing free style was that the cuts very rarely came out accurately, which meant I needed a chisel to straighten things up. I guess that would be eliminated by the mitre saw set up? But I guess I still would need some good chisels if I am going to get serious about this too?

And clamps? luckily I had a couple and borrowed a couple. I can see that they are going to be a pretty important tool to. Right?

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers
Grahame

Christos
13th August 2010, 10:39 PM
I think you need to put these questions in the general forum. You will get a lot more response on such topics.

Even put up a picture or two on the work in progress (WIP).

Good effort by the way.

richie47
13th August 2010, 11:08 PM
OK, I've nearly finished my first saw horse/bench and I've gathered up a few questions.

Given that I had to hand-saw a bunch of angles, both lateral and longitudinal, it has taken me a lot longer than I imagine it could given the right tools. So I am guessing that there is some kind of mitre saw set up that pretty much allows you to cut pretty much any angle accurately almost anywhere on a piece of wood? Something that clamps the saw to the wood so you don't get any movement. Am I right in assuming there are various options out there? I would be looking at a hand tool system rather than a power saw system. Any recommendations?

I've already realised how much I need a good ruler.

Now the other thing that I found when hand-sawing free style was that the cuts very rarely came out accurately, which meant I needed a chisel to straighten things up. I guess that would be eliminated by the mitre saw set up? But I guess I still would need some good chisels if I am going to get serious about this too?

And clamps? luckily I had a couple and borrowed a couple. I can see that they are going to be a pretty important tool to. Right?

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers
Grahame

You never stop buying clamps mate. Or making them. Chisels definitely, and spend your evenings learning to sharpen them. Lots of evenings.

Try a simple workbench for the shed. 6 to 8ft long, piece of 2" thick x 8" pine either side of a simple tool well, the whole thing maybe 3 to 4 ft wide. Solid legs, well braced. Make it knockdown if possible, ie in sections. Bolt it together. Mine has been to Tennant Creek and back to northern NSW. Made it in Gympie. Find or buy a "fast-thread" and hardwood 'leg' for a benchvise.
have a go at one of the fancy danish ones when you get good.

I buy one B-word [7-8pt] hand-saw per year. [Already have 10 others from ancient times, these are sharpenable, good old steel, varying from fine to coarse. Then a japanese dovetail saw. 0.4mm kerf.

Then practise. Then some more. Learn to set out and make a dovetail. Do one a week. Or one a day.
Subscribe to American Fine Wood Working. Online these days.

Lordie I shouldn't have started. But you get my drift, eat sleep and think wood. For the next 20 years at least. And then enthuse someone else.

Fer what it's worth,

cheers, richie

GreenTemple
14th August 2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys, I've ordered a bunch of books from the local library (mostly the ones listed in the forums 'library'. I appreciate your responses and will head out into the forum proper.

Cheers
Grahame