PDA

View Full Version : random segmented vase

tommandurah
8th August 2010, 08:49 PM
In the english woodturning magazine woodturning of march 2010 page 60 there is a magnificent random segmented vase by Alan Funnell .Does anyone know how to make this vessel the layout and the procedure.I have made this same request on their forum so i will see what turns up
TOM

powderpost
8th August 2010, 09:05 PM
G'day Tom, difficult to answer without seeing a photo. I haven't seen that magazine yet.
Jim

joe greiner
9th August 2010, 08:34 PM
With reference to the photo added:

Two pieces of wood that don't fit together well can be made a perfect fit, by clamping * them in imperfect alignment, and passing a saw along the joint. The saw kerf creates parallel faces, so that they can be glued. It may take a couple passes to remove all the imperfections. This trick is sometimes used for mitering picture frames. I think it can be used on a band saw too, as long as there isn't too much wandering. * "clamping" could include temporary attachment to a large-enough sled, e.g. with hot-melt glue.

Repeat the process around a group of irregular segments. At the last step, insert a "segment" of veneer with thickness the same as the saw kerf. Veneer (thick or thin) can also be used in the preceding steps, which he might have done. Celtic knot blanks are made this way too.

It looks like he made some sub-assemblies along the way. You'd have to mentally take it apart to establish the sequence (in reverse).

I agree - magnificent.

Cheers,
Joe

powderpost
9th August 2010, 08:57 PM
G'day Tom'
After seeing the photo, I would start by gluing random shapes together to make a "plank" 75mm wide. The bowl is 150mm high and about 85mm diameter, which means the plank need only be 25mm thick. 12 segments would be cut to form two hexagonal cylinders glued one on top of the other and then glued to a solid base. That could be turned to the shape shown.
Well, for what it is worth, that is how I would attack it. :)
Jim

Sawdust Maker
9th August 2010, 09:37 PM
hmm
something else to do with those little odd bits I'm too miserly to discard

interesting idea
looks like he might have used 4 panels for each of the top and bottom

wheelinround
9th August 2010, 09:43 PM
G'day Tom'
After seeing the photo, I would start by gluing random shapes together to make a "plank" 75mm wide. The bowl is 150mm high and about 85mm diameter, which means the plank need only be 25mm thick. 12 segments would be cut to form two hexagonal cylinders glued one on top of the other and then glued to a solid base. That could be turned to the shape shown.
Well, for what it is worth, that is how I would attack it. :)
Jim

Can arrange plenty wood for a demo Jim :p when your down here :U

powderpost
9th August 2010, 11:32 PM
S.M. if you look more closely, there are six "panels" in each half. Therefore the thickness of the "plank" need only be 19mm thick. Pretty simple really. :D

Ray, What would we do after lunch then?? :)
Jim

hughie
10th August 2010, 09:33 AM
Ray, What would we do after lunch then?? http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
Jim

I've got a 45kg+ burl might fill in the afternoon if we are stuck. :U

wheelinround
10th August 2010, 10:58 AM
:rotfl::lolabove: @ both comments

Sprog
10th August 2010, 02:27 PM
In the english woodturning magazine woodturning of march 2010 page 60 there is a magnificent random segmented vase by Alan Funnell .Does anyone know how to make this vessel the layout and the procedure.I have made this same request on their forum so i will see what turns up
TOM

Here is the same method but for a bowl

Square Plan for Polychromatic Wood Bowls (http://www.maxkrimmel.com/WoodTurning/SquarePlan/SquarePlan.html)

tommandurah
10th August 2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys i think i am on the right track now
TOM