PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Free Casting My Way

Les in Red Deer
9th August 2010, 08:43 AM
I have had great results getting bubble free castings without the use of a PP or ultrasonic cleaner or any other vibrating devices using Resin Saver mold.

1. Slowly pour required amount of resin into a plastic cup letting the resin run down the side wall of the cup to avoid creating any air bubbles.

2. Place the plastic cup of resin into a shallow container filled with hot water at a temperature of 42C ( 115 F )

3. Add the required amount of catalyst to the warm resin and stir gently for two minuets to avoid creating any air bubbles

4. Once the resin has warmed enough to reduce the viscosity similar to water it is ready to pour.

5. Slowly pour the warmed resin into the mold and using a tooth pick remove any air bubbles that may form in the resin. Resin usually starts to gel in 10-15 minuets.

6. Place the mold into my warming chamber for 6-8 hours to cure.

Les

http://i36.tinypic.com/14bp5dx.jpg

munruben
9th August 2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks for that Les, What exactly is your "warming chamber" ? What can be used for this purpose?

gawdelpus
9th August 2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info Les :) always nice to have options with this stuff and methods that work ,cheers John :D

Les in Red Deer
9th August 2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for that Les, What exactly is your "warming chamber" ? What can be used for this purpose?

I attached Tutorial on how I made my Warming Chamber.

Les

munruben
9th August 2010, 04:46 PM
I attached Tutorial on how I made my Warming Chamber.

LesThanks Les:2tsup:

Rifleman1776
10th August 2010, 12:01 AM
I can attest to the success of Les' techniques. We are on another forum together and the finished cast pens he posts are works of art. :2tsup:

dai sensei
10th August 2010, 10:37 AM
I have been warming my resin in the cooler months and agree it helps with the bubbles and also penetration. The pressure pot also helps, but reduces the temperature.

Interesting warming set-up, can't say we need it where I am, our days are usually at least in the 20's C in the sunshine even in winter :2tsup:. I have more problems with it being too hot during summer when it is often in the 40's :-

PenTurner
10th August 2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for sharing Les, Amos:2tsup::)