PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Winner - Joe Greiner

Ed Reiss
9th August 2010, 12:21 PM
Congrats to Joe Greiner for taking 2nd in the AAW Website Contest:2tsup:
Got a pic you can put here in the forums for us poor misfortunates that haven't seen the piece.

artme
9th August 2010, 01:59 PM
Onya Joe!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

But I agree with :whs:

Manuka Jock
9th August 2010, 02:03 PM
Joe
:worthless:

NeilS
9th August 2010, 07:41 PM
Congratulations, Joe....:2tsup:

powderpost
9th August 2010, 08:59 PM
Well done Joe.. :2tsup:
Jim

joe greiner
9th August 2010, 09:25 PM
It's a round-bottom bowl with the outside eccentric to the inside, so that it has a preferred orientation when it's balanced. The contest was based on an article in American Woodturner of April 2010 ("Balanced Bowls" p. 33), and judged by the author, Mark Knize.

I didn't use the same process that Mark did - outside first, then inside with an offset mounting. Instead, I turned the inside concentric, and mounted it on the scroll chuck in expansion mode, with two lead shims taped to two of the jaws - combination offset and counterweight. Then shaped the outside to a round bottom, now made eccentric.

Drake Elm, with natural edge, about 4 3/8" (110mm) diameter, 3 3/8" (86mm) high, finished with EEE & wax inside and outside.

I started to refine the process on another piece, but it hasn't worked as well yet. Luckily, I can re-mount it and remove more of the exterior. I'll start a new thread as soon as I have the bugs worked out.

Cheers,
Joe

Sawdust Maker
9th August 2010, 09:33 PM
Nice work, Well done

another idea in the vault :D

wheelinround
9th August 2010, 09:40 PM
Congrats Joe well done

An excellent Idea what Nick said.

TTIT
9th August 2010, 10:42 PM
Way to go Joe :2tsup:

hughie
10th August 2010, 09:36 AM
Nice one Joe :2tsup:

Gil Jones
10th August 2010, 01:40 PM
Nice work Joe.
Gil

Manuka Jock
10th August 2010, 01:55 PM
I didn't use the same process that Mark did - outside first, then inside with an offset mounting. Instead, I turned the inside concentric, and mounted it on the scroll chuck in expansion mode, with two lead shims taped to two of the jaws - combination offset and counterweight. Then shaped the outside to a round bottom, now made eccentric.

Cheers,
Joe

A cunning plan Joe , good to see that it panned out.:2tsup:

I will try something like that with some of those wee roughed out bowls that oval nicely in the drying , to try and keep the character in the piece
cheers