PDA

View Full Version : wip stagecoach

elderly
9th August 2010, 01:02 PM
a few pics of my progress so far. For various reasons it has been slow the main one being I am slow. It will be even slower now because I will not be in a position to do anything on it for a couple of months. I have not got the wood for the coach or the wheels yet but we will be doing some travelling and I hope to pick it up on our travels.
Cheers elderly

artme
9th August 2010, 02:09 PM
So far so really good!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
9th August 2010, 03:36 PM
Nice work whats the size??

Manuka Jock
9th August 2010, 03:40 PM
Nice work .
nifty wee swingletrees :2tsup:

AUSSIE
9th August 2010, 05:00 PM
WOW Elderly.That coach is coming along at a fast rate.You are not slow.To do that quality of work takes time as you know
Have a nice holiday,then back into it.:U:2tsup:

AUSSIE
9th August 2010, 05:03 PM
Nice work whats the size??
Here (http://www.gattoplans.com/store/coach_31.htm) Wheely:2tsup:

elderly
9th August 2010, 05:36 PM
1/12 scale

BobR
9th August 2010, 05:39 PM
Nice work! :2tsup:

scotty60
9th August 2010, 10:21 PM
Nice job, looks like quite a bit of work has gone into it so far.:2tsup:

wheelinround
10th August 2010, 11:01 AM
Here (http://www.gattoplans.com/store/coach_31.htm) Wheely:2tsup:

Thanks Ross also have a set of plans or part of from a certain magazine :;

elderly
10th August 2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for your encouraging posts

munruben
10th August 2010, 04:50 PM
Great work and a really nice project.:2tsup::2tsup:

elderly
14th October 2010, 03:13 PM
I have finally got back to my stagecoach. Decided to make the coach itself out of Tasmanian Myrtle. I have attached a couple of pics of the work done on the coach so far.
Elderly

AUSSIE
14th October 2010, 04:13 PM
Hi Elderly
That couple of months went quick,Did you have a good holiday?that is the main thing.
The coach is coming along fine.You must be very happy with it.
Any chance of showing us a work in progress of you making the wheels?
Are you going to the woodwork show in Melb this weekend?
I will be there Friday.

munruben
14th October 2010, 04:32 PM
Sure is looking good.:2tsup:

elderly
14th October 2010, 05:11 PM
Hi Aussie,

Yes we had a good holiday but we came back a little earlier than planned both my wife and I caught some bug that we just could not get rid of. Yes I will post some pics of WIP of the wheels and no I will not be going to the wood show this year.

Cheers Elderly

wheelinround
15th October 2010, 09:30 AM
very impressive

Would be nice to see progress of your Aussie :q and you haven't been on holidays.:p

elderly
15th October 2010, 11:17 AM
Good point Wheelinround. How about it Aussie?

scotty60
15th October 2010, 09:03 PM
Looks great Elderly looking forward to more pics.:2tsup:

elderly
26th October 2010, 06:47 PM
I have not had a lot of time to work on my stagecoach recently but I have got a bit done. Made and fitted lanterns, door handles, all the metal bits and the luggage rack. I hope to get the coach itself finished over the next couple of days and then on to the wheels. Here are a few pics.

Christos
26th October 2010, 08:22 PM
Very nice work so far. All this on the scroll saw?

elderly
26th October 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi Christos,
Thanks for your response. No it is not done on the scroll saw it is made out of 6mm thick wood apart from the seats. The seats are made from12mm thick wood and the curves on the coach are achieved by cutting through the back of the seats. The only part that is done on the scroll saw are the windows and door openings.

Cheers Elderly

Billy
27th October 2010, 07:24 PM
nice
billy

elderly
15th November 2010, 04:44 PM
Some pics of WIP on the wheels. The hubs are simply turned out of dowel and the axles are satay sticks. The wheels were roughly cut on the bandsaw and then turned to size. I then made a simple jig by drilling a 12mm hole in a block of wood making sure that the sides were ninety degrees. I had drilled the wheels to take a half inch bolt when I turned them so I screwed the wheels to the block. The half inch bolt cutting a slight thread on the hole in the block of wood. It was then simply a matter of drilling and rotating the wheels to the correct position the make sure all of the holes ran to the centre of the wheel. Of course the one block worked for both size wheels.
I then cut out the centre of the wheel and sanded it to size on the bobbin sander. I then cut out the inside of the tyres and glued them to the wheels. Next I cut the outside of the wheels and sanded them to their finished size. I then sanded then on their side working through the grits. The next job is to cut and shape the spokes and make a simple jig to assemble them.

wheelinround
15th November 2010, 05:04 PM
interesting approach :2tsup:

May I ask why you did not turn the wheel off on the lathe instead of using the scrollsaw that way you could do a few at a time.

elderly
15th November 2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Wheelinround,
I did turn the tyres off on the small wheels but on the large ones I made the mistake of cutting the middle out before I put the tyres on so it was easier to do it on the scroll saw and sander. Not a problem as there is only two.

Cheers Elderly

wheelinround
15th November 2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Wheelinround,
I did turn the tyres off on the small wheels but on the large ones I made the mistake of cutting the middle out before I put the tyres on so it was easier to do it on the scroll saw and sander. Not a problem as there is only two.

Cheers Elderly

Thanks elderly your process is a good approach. I have a larger wheel to do as soon as my lathe comes home. A spinning wheel dia of 17".:roll:

crowie
15th November 2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks elderly, for showing us a top job and something for others to aspire to!
Very much appreciate your craftmanship & patience.
Cheers, Crowie

elderly
16th November 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks Crowie your comments are much appreciated.
Cheers Elderly

elderly
16th November 2010, 06:49 PM
This afternoon I finished the wheels for the coach. I made the simple assembly jig by sticking a pattern for the front and back wheels to a piece of mdf. I then drilled a hole through the centre of each one to take a piece of satay stick. I then bored this out to fit the outside of the hubs to a depth that would line the spokes up parallel between the wheel and the hub.
After this I cut the spokes to the correct length and tapered one end so that they fit around the hub. Once this was done I dry fit everything and once I was happy I glued everything in place using a small amount of thick super glue.
Elderly.

Christos
16th November 2010, 09:36 PM
Very fiddly work and you are doing it well.

AUSSIE
17th November 2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Elderly.
You are weaving some magic making this coach.It must be nearly finished now?
What a great job you are doing.The wheels have turned out great.I cant wait for the next posting from you.:2tsup::)

elderly
17th November 2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys for your kind comments. Should be finished this week.

munruben
17th November 2010, 01:14 PM
I agree, the wheels look terrific. From past experience I know how tricky and fiddly this kind of work is and is sure tests your patience. Well done elderly you are doing a top job on this coach. Longing to see it finished.:2tsup:

artme
17th November 2010, 04:22 PM
Fabulous job there mate!!!:):):)

Love your approach to wheel building!!

elderly
17th November 2010, 05:07 PM
Nearly there now. This afternoon I got the wheels fitted and made and fit the last few bits, steps, brake pads and brake handle. I have not fixed the coach to the chassis yet I will do this after have made and fit the blinds and rear boot cover. I hope to get this done tomorrow if not it will be Friday.
Cheers Elderly

Yonnee
17th November 2010, 05:37 PM
This one's fantastic Elderly. Such patience. The more I look at some of these models being made, the more it makes me want to unpack, setup and learn how to use my wood lathe.

Next you'll be carving some wooden horses. :2tsup:

wheelinround
17th November 2010, 05:43 PM
Now thats looking brilliant Elderly such detail :2tsup:

elderly
17th November 2010, 06:27 PM
Yonnee I would love to carve some horses but I am afraid I don't have an artistic bone in my body.

crowie
17th November 2010, 07:51 PM
G'Day again Elderly,
What a magnificent job;
I hope you enter you workmanship in a model show competition because that's a FIRST PLACE PRIZE WINNER. :1st::1st::1st:
I wish I lived closer to ask for the privilege to view such excellent.
Cheers, Crowie

munruben
18th November 2010, 05:24 PM
Awesome just awesome. Thanks for sharing this one with us. Nice WIP and a great job of photographing it too. Well done. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

elderly
18th November 2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks for your kind comments munruben. You will find that there are some crap photos in my WIP those are mine the good ones my wife took.
Cheers Elderly

elderly
19th November 2010, 07:55 PM
My stagecoach is now finished complete with window blinds and rear bootwell cover. I may make some luggage at a later date but that is it for now. Once again I would like to thank everyone who posted words of encouragement.
Cheers Elderly.

Manuka Jock
19th November 2010, 08:14 PM
Elderly ,
thats a pleasure to see , excellent work there mate :2tsup:
Horses next is it ? :)
cheers ,
Jock

AUSSIE
19th November 2010, 08:53 PM
What a great job you have done Elderly.You must be so proud of it.Where are you going to display it.?
I vote this Stagecoach,the best looking model,since the Toy Making Forum started.:2tsup::way2go::welldone:

Manuka Jock
19th November 2010, 08:56 PM
I vote this Stagecoach,the best looking model,since the Toy Making Forum started.:2tsup::way2go::welldone:

Yep :whs::repplus:

elderly
20th November 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks Aussie, it will be displayed on a table in the hall so that I can brag as soon as some one comes in the front door.:B

scotty60
20th November 2010, 09:38 PM
Great job elderly, came up fantastic im shore it will be a talking point for all that enters the house.

cheers