PDA

View Full Version : Window flashing?

neddy
12th October 2004, 09:49 PM
Hi.................got around to repairing the front timber windows and the bloke who put them in didn't use any flashing...he sealed them with silastic or something similar.....my question is how do I flash the windows? Do they use that soft easy to bend aluminium? And where can I get some of this stuff? Thanks....

ozwinner
12th October 2004, 09:53 PM
If your neighbours can see the window I wouldnt flash, last time I did it the cops came. :eek:

Al :D

echnidna
12th October 2004, 09:54 PM
Weatherboard or Brick house Neddy?

craigb
12th October 2004, 09:55 PM
If your neighbours can see the window I wouldnt flash, last time I did it the cops came. :eek:

Al :D

Would that have been at Melbourne Sexpo ?
:D

himzol
12th October 2004, 10:08 PM
Would that have been at Melbourne Sexpo ?

I'm guessing just after, probably juiced up on funny blue pills too. :D :D

neddy
13th October 2004, 07:03 AM
Weatherboard or Brick house Neddy?
Weatherboard

TassieKiwi
13th October 2004, 09:11 AM
Your friendly local window joiner will have stock aluminium flashing in all colours. If not, he'll bend it to the correct profile for you. Maybe send journeyman Mick a PM for advice on fitting.

Den

capedcrusader
17th October 2004, 01:42 PM
Nedd
What sort of windows - casement or doublehung? Do the frames have architraves on the outside? You probably only need storm moulds and a galv/bitumen coated aluminium tray under the sill with the edges folded up and a galv head flashing over thetop of the architrave if there are no roof overhangs..

neddy
18th October 2004, 08:18 PM
Double hung................thanks for your response.

Metung
20th January 2006, 10:17 PM
Not much useful information here but I'll persevere. I have gone for the soft aluminium because I reckon its 4 times the price of the plastic and probably only just as good but that is neither here nor there. My queston is - do you put the flashing on the underside of the window, ie wrap the window in the flashing, or do you protect the sill trimmer by running it along the trimmer and up the jamb stud. Common sense tells me that I should be protecting the framing, namely the sill trimmer, but the older I get the more I realise that my sense is uncommon. Sensible advice only please. Thanks.

Driver
20th January 2006, 10:51 PM
Sensible advice only please.

You haven't spent a lot of time reading the contributions to these forums, have you? ;)

ozwinner
21st January 2006, 03:38 PM
The most rotted old timber window frames Ive come across, are the ones with the ali flashing.

Most modern builders dont flash their windows anymore.
The most flashing you get these days is nailed to the underside of the sill, all it does is direct any ingress of water over the sill bricks into the cavity.

There is a cavity flashing put in above the windows by the brickie, if he remembers :rolleyes: , and this is to stop any water that may enter the cavity from dripping out throught the window head.

My thoughts on window head flashings, and slab rebate flashings:-
If you have sooooooo much water as to enter through the brickwork, you have major problems anyway.

Al :)

markharrison
31st January 2006, 09:56 PM
The easiest flashing material to use is the pure zinc stuff. It's quite soft and easily bent but can not brittle so if you screw up and can be fixed without breaking.

I just bent it using a pair of Vise-Grip locking sheet metal pliers.

The down side is that it expensive. I was given two complete rolls so that wasn't an issue but it still might be less expensive than sending the job out to be done.