PDA

View Full Version : Coloured Loofah

dai sensei
9th August 2010, 07:03 PM
Been playing with colours on the Loofah using dyes and paint. The pink/red/blue (I also did an orange not shown) are dye jobs (UBeaut dye with water), the silver/gold/black and white are paint jobs (after soaking dried loofah in water then drying). As long as the loofah is cut into relatively thin pieces (I cut off the outside ring of the loofah off), and paint both sides, the paint penetrates well and produces a better finish than the dye IMHO. Fluro paints are also on my list to try :rolleyes:

I've also got tubes painted in black/white/silver to try different backgrounds too. I'll do some also in gold later.

I'll probably cast them tomorrow :wink:. I rap the luffa around the tube, hold it in place with insulation tape, then cast with clear casting resin. I have used my resin saver mold, but you can also plug the ends of your tubes with something (potatoe/silicon/dental wax etc) and cast in electrical tubes or other suitable mold. The tape gets turned off when you turn the pen, so make sure you have a thicker layer of loofah than the ultimate thickness after turning.

Cheers

mkypenturner
9th August 2010, 09:27 PM
cool cant wait to see the finished product

Les in Red Deer
10th August 2010, 06:22 AM
Looking forward to seeing the finished results!
Why don't you use Med CA instead of tape like most of the others do?

Les

dai sensei
10th August 2010, 10:23 AM
Why don't you use Med CA instead of tape like most of the others do?

Since the weeve is so open I was worried about glued fingers, again :-:U The tape is easy and cheap, but I might give it a try.

dai sensei
21st August 2010, 08:21 PM
After casting I have realised oil based paints, like the gold & silver, are no good with PR :((. The paint effectively dissolves. Also with the painted Loofah, when turning it exposes the natural colour, so dye is definately the way to go.

Final pens see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/playing-loofah-122802/)

Cheers