PDA

View Full Version : A real turned gentleman

thumb trimmer
10th August 2010, 12:26 AM
May I just note that I had the pleasure ... nay, the privilege of meeting a real 'turned' gentlemen in Griffith last week. :2tsup:

Speaking to a colleague at a work function last Wednesday night, he mentioned that his father was a keen wood turner, and also new Vic Wood (amongst others)... so I asked to meet his dad the following morning. Which I did.

Bill was a genuine fella who seems always willing to give a fellow turner some of his time and sound advice (well, maybe anyone willing to spend some time with him and willing to listen). He's turned and worked with some of the best around. He mentioned that he knows Neil and his wife quite well, Ken (although I can't remember Ken's surname ... sorry) and a number of other well known turners. He also ended up half filling the boot of my car ... would have completely filled it if I'd had the room ... :roll: ... with turning blanks and all matter of interesting timbers ... I'll have to go back and visit him sometime in the not so distant future.

... it's great knowing there are still genuine blokes out there who are willing to share a bit of what they know without any strings attached ...

Thanks again Bill :2tsup:
I hope to catch up with you soon

RETIRED
10th August 2010, 12:36 AM
Ken Wraight. (Ken W Here). Yep Bill is a nice bloke and Babs is a nice lady.

artme
10th August 2010, 07:45 AM
Nice story!!:):):)

orificiam
10th August 2010, 09:02 AM
Yep There are still Some nice People Out there.Good on Bill
Cheers Tony.:2tsup:

issatree
15th August 2010, 06:03 PM
Hi Thumb Trimmer.
Yes, as you say a Great Couple. We hope to have the Pleasure, in a few weeks to see them again, as they usually go to " Down Under Turn Around " at Cowes, Vic.
DUTA is on 10, 11, 12th. Sept. 2010.
What a great weekend this is. Approx. 130 people & close to 70 Lathes.
We missed the 1st. & have been to everyone since.
If you want to learn Woodturning, or progress further up the ladder, this is the place to go.
Even if you rang now, you may get in, as there is always some who just can't make it.
Bill can be approached at any time over that weekend for help, & he willingly gives, as do most of the other Turners to the Newbies & the rest of us.
I can't speak highly enough, of the work put in by Caroline, Giulio, Bruce & Sue.
They also have a great backup Crew to help make this one of the Best Weekends ever.
If you have not been, then you have missed out.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">