PDA

View Full Version : Teasea

teasea
10th August 2010, 01:14 PM
Has anyone outhers in kayak building land (strip built type) got an idea where I can purchase some 20or 25mm wide black polyproplyne tubular webbing to makes soft pad eyes with. I have tried the boating shops and priceline type stoers to no avail can anyone help.

Boatmik
10th August 2010, 03:34 PM
Howdy,

It might be hard to locate such a specific item.

I don't quite know what you mean, but do you mean the hollow braided polypropylene rope that is used for water ski ropes? I think they will be available in bright colours only and narrower width/diameters than you need.

Do you know where this type of rope might be used in general? That might help you track down suppliers?

Best wishes
Michael

teasea
10th August 2010, 03:59 PM
No it is not rope, it is a wowen material simular to that used for webbing for back packs etc but hollow.

woodeneye
10th August 2010, 06:42 PM
No it is not rope, it is a wowen material simular to that used for webbing for back packs etc but hollow.

I've seen dog leads made of this stuff, so try a vet or pet supplies.

The other thing you could try is remove the core from some rope so you are left with the braided outer tube.

bloggs1968
10th August 2010, 11:18 PM
Has anyone outhers in kayak building land (strip built type) got an idea where I can purchase some 20or 25mm wide black polyproplyne tubular webbing to makes soft pad eyes with. I have tried the boating shops and priceline type stoers to no avail can anyone help.

Most Sailmakers will carry this in white and maybe black. Have a look for some sailmakers in the yellow pages close to you. Most would be happy to sell you a metre.

regards,

AD

anewhouse
11th August 2010, 08:39 AM
Are these the type you are making? If so, why does it need to be hollow?

Detailed description here:
softpadeyes (http://www.redfishkayak.com/softpadeyes.htm)

KJL38
11th August 2010, 10:02 AM
Try an outdoors/climbing store (eg: mountain designs), climbers use it for slings.

teasea
12th August 2010, 10:56 AM
Are these the type you are making? If so, why does it need to be hollow?

Detailed description here:
softpadeyes (http://www.redfishkayak.com/softpadeyes.htm)
Yes it is, I was just following the 'redfish' recipe I guess flat will probably be OK if that is what you are suggesting.

anewhouse
12th August 2010, 06:43 PM
I have not made them myself, but I have seen a few photos of ones that others have made. Some of them were definitely flat webbing. I don't think I have ever seen anyone claim that there is a problem with flat webbing.

Others may be able to think of a reason why tubular webbing would be better, but I can't see any real advantage.