PDA

View Full Version : Beading Tool

Bids
13th October 2004, 09:41 PM
I have been drooling over the latest Carbatec catologue and think a beading tool would be quite handy but not at $100.
Has anyone made one themselves?
I thought of using a line gauge and sawing a groove into one end. But what would you make the blades out of.

Your collective wisdom would be appreciated

Andrew Biddle

Sturdee
13th October 2004, 11:15 PM
Andrew,

As part of my Furniture Restoration course this term I will be learning veneering and inlays. To do this I had to make a veneer hammer and a scratch tool which is the simple term for a beading tool.

It is two L shaped pieces of timber, screwed together, which holds a scratching blade. The scratching blade can be made in any shape to cut out groves parallel to the edge or beading on the edge of the timber.

The blades can be filed from blanks that Carbatec sells or from an old scraper blade. I bought a new and better scraper blade and am using the old one for blades.

If you want some photos let me know.

Peter.

Ben from Vic.
14th October 2004, 01:27 AM
Were is Inverell, Bids?

Barry_White
14th October 2004, 07:38 AM
Inverell is in Northwest NSW on the western slopes between Glen Innes and Moree. Ben if you don't know where they are you are lost.

IanW
14th October 2004, 09:00 AM
Has anyone made one themselves?
I thought of using a line gauge and sawing a groove into one end. But what would you make the blades out of. Andrew Biddle

Bids,
Yep, lots! I have made all sorts of scratch stocks for all sorts of big and little jobs. They can be as simple as a 12 or 14G screw in a block of wood, with the head filed to the desired profile, or the fancy Veritas. I'd made something very similar long before theirs hit the market, but decided to take advantage of their blank blades and made one that is similar (out of Olive wood, see pic.). It doesn't work any better than the simple, traditional L-shaped tool described above, but it looks a bit more flash.
Cutters can be made out of just about anything, even mild steel works ok in most woods, but old saw blades are the traditional source.
They work amazingly well - for a couple of short beads I can have the job done before you could get the router out and set it up. The bead on the chair rail in the other pic took about a minute and a half to do, and it was fiddly, as I had to work from the monkey's hand.
Try devising a router jig that would do that!
Avagooday,

silentC
14th October 2004, 09:03 AM
what would you make the blades out of
How 'bout a hacksaw blade?

IanW
14th October 2004, 09:21 AM
Silent - no need for such hard stuff - you would have to grind to shape (but it would last!). Saw blades are plenty tough ehough, but easy to shape with a file. Chainsaw files do the job well, and the surface they leave needs no further treatment - just file square acros, and your beader works equally well coming or going......
Cheers,

Alastair
14th October 2004, 12:14 PM
Ian

Is that a bodged chair there? Is it one you did yourself?

Alastair

IanW
14th October 2004, 02:45 PM
Ian Is that a bodged chair there? Is it one you did yourself? Alastair

Alistair - yeah - it's a kid's chair, about 60mm higher than regular, and with a proportionally smaller seat and back. The little bloke it was done for loved this cartoon character called 'Marvin', so that's why the carving on the rail. The woods in this case are Jacaranda (rail and seat) and N.G. Rosewood for the spindles. Here's a pic of the whole thing finished:
Cheers,