PDA

View Full Version : Trendy weekend

wheelinround
13th August 2010, 08:56 PM
Great day today at Trend Timbers they are sponsors to a number of groups including the OTGA. We have 5 Rose Engines working flat out all day, the oval turning lathe, index jig and miniature lathe.

It was good to see some forum members come in for a visit Mr Brush is looking at joining the lathe owners, NzCarver, Sawdustmaker who walked away with wood tools and books.

Shock of the day was when Andrew from Trend cut up a piece of almost black Queen ebony for a fellow 25mm x 25mm x 140 $35 :o

The chips were flying from one of our newest members just a few of his pieces.

Edwards
14th August 2010, 07:13 PM
Great day today at Trend Timbers they are sponsors to a number of groups including the OTGA. We have 5 Rose Engines working flat out all day, the oval turning lathe, index jig and miniature lathe.

It was good to see some forum members come in for a visit Mr Brush is looking at joining the lathe owners, NzCarver, Sawdustmaker who walked away with wood tools and books.

Shock of the day was when Andrew from Trend cut up a piece of almost black Queen ebony for a fellow 25mm x 25mm x 140 $35 :o

The chips were flying from one of our newest members just a few of his pieces.

Good to see plenty of activety from OT members. Wish I could have been there as it looks like it was a fun day. I will be in Sydney for a few days at the end of the month but running on a tight schedule so probably will not have time to catch up with you guys.
Cheers
Edwards :)

wheelinround
14th August 2010, 07:19 PM
Bronte :o more details as OTGA is doing 2 days at Penrith show our first along with Blue Mountains. Also we have a get together happening see this thread for details.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/sydney-august-116966/#post1182173

Ray

wheelinround
14th August 2010, 09:01 PM
Day 2 at Trend

Busy day all day with a coach load coming down from Newcastle Woodworkers group :2tsup:

Pic 1&3 Our line up of Rose Engines
Pic 2 Part of my efforts today a shared work

munruben
14th August 2010, 09:12 PM
Impressive looking stuff there Ray, Good to see.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
14th August 2010, 10:08 PM
It was great to see you and Sue yesterday
not sure I got any tools but was looking seriously at some hollowing equipment - just because I might have wanted to use it one day. But decided I'll get it then.

It's interesting that Trend drop the members discount on open days :doh:

I didn't see that piece of queen eboony otherwise I might have bid on it. Must have been a particularly nice piece.
wait a minute didn't someone give me a piece of that about twice as long for nothing at the Syd ww show :rolleyes:

wheelinround
15th August 2010, 08:21 AM
It was great to see you and Sue yesterday
not sure I got any tools but was looking seriously at some hollowing equipment - just because I might have wanted to use it one day. But decided I'll get it then.

It's interesting that Trend drop the members discount on open days :doh:

I didn't see that piece of queen eboony otherwise I might have bid on it. Must have been a particularly nice piece.
wait a minute didn't someone give me a piece of that about twice as long for nothing at the Syd ww show :rolleyes:

:no: Not as black as this bit Nick and heavy.

There was/is a 10% discount at the till on stuff during the 3 days as i only did some shopping yesterday didn't know.

Fletty made a flying visit yesterday even splashed out.

Thanks John :2tsup:

wheelinround
15th August 2010, 05:22 PM
Last day over and done by lunch time. Very quite compared to Friday and Saturday, maybe all went tool hunting instead.

Nice to see I_wanna_shed and the lovely better half today.:2tsup:

A trip into Windsor for lunch and a book shopping spree :D:D all Woodworking books except 2 they were metal working.:U

I_wanna_Shed
15th August 2010, 10:26 PM
I'll start by saying the new Trend warehouse/showroom is impressive! A LOT easier to walk through and hunt for timber in. I picked up around 9m of New Guinea Rosewood for a project coming up. Some Tiger Myrtle turning blanks and a small piece of African Wenge (is it a poor man's queen ebony?).

Caught up with Ray and Sue which was good. Ray had the look of spending money in his eyes.

I was is in a big rush as I was late to a mate's place to help him move (which was good, as it meant I already had the trailer on the car :U), so I didn't get a chance to have a good look at the ornamental turners, but what I saw looked good. Ingenuity in that bunch for sure.

Cheers,
Nathan.

Edwards
16th August 2010, 07:06 PM
Last day over and done by lunch time. Very quite compared to Friday and Saturday, maybe all went tool hunting instead.

Nice to see I_wanna_shed and the lovely better half today.:2tsup:

A trip into Windsor for lunch and a book shopping spree :D:D all Woodworking books except 2 they were metal working.:U

Ray, sounds like you had a good event. I think I would have enjoyed having a look myself especially what the OTers are doing. Unfortunately a long way from my place but maybe sometime in the future for a special event.
Cheers and best wishes to you all.

wheelinround
16th August 2010, 07:18 PM
Ray, sounds like you had a good event. I think I would have enjoyed having a look myself especially what the OTers are doing. Unfortunately a long way from my place but maybe sometime in the future for a special event.
Cheers and best wishes to you all.

:2tsup: It was a worth while weekend Bronte.

AUSSIE
16th August 2010, 10:00 PM
Trendy weekend for sure Ray.
I could get into that fancy turning myself.
I love some of those bowls.
The indexing is spot on by the looks.
You cant tell I know nothing about this ornamental turning,can you?
Looks like you were a busy guy.:2tsup:

wheelinround
16th August 2010, 10:05 PM
Trendy weekend for sure Ray.
I could get into that fancy turning myself.
I love some of those bowls.
The indexing is spot on by the looks.
You cant tell I know nothing about this ornamental turning,can you?
Looks like you were a busy guy.:2tsup:

Its all bump and grind Ross and you can tell whoppers too.