PDA

View Full Version : Simpson desert 2010

steck
13th August 2010, 10:32 PM
Just got back from a fantastic trek across the Simpson Desert. There had been a lot of rain so the wild flowers were outstanding.
Unfortunately There was a lot more rain and things were very wet!
We got bogged in a lake bed and had to get winched out.
1. Sunrise At Ross River
2. Great Campsite near Finke
3. Where's the Track gone - Brown out
4 & 5. Wildflowers on the dunes
6. We almost made it across! Doh:doh:
I managed to pick up a bit of Gidgee which I am looking forward to turning.

m2c1Iw
13th August 2010, 11:17 PM
:2tsup: I'm off up there in a couple of weeks. Which track did you take?

steck
14th August 2010, 10:43 AM
We drove a Nissan Patrol 3.0l auto and towed a Tambo Camper trailer and had no problem getting over the dunes. We only got bogged because I tried to take the short cut through the lake rather than detour around, and I knew the guy behind had a winch ( which he was busting to use!!) Fuel economy was about 4 km per litre of diesel.
By the time you get there, all the mud should have dried up.
We went into the Simpson from the West,via The Old Ghan Track, Mt Dare and Dalhousie. Then we travelled on the Rig Road, WAA line, the French Line and the QAA Line into Birdsville.
The WAA line was definitely less travelled than the French line.
We took 6 days to cross but it could be done in less. The tracks are a bit lumpy but if you take it slowly, they're okay.
Hope you have as great a trip as we did!

Dave50
14th August 2010, 04:16 PM
we've done it a few times and are busting to do it again, your photos are another "prod" to get my act together, beautiful piccys of the flowers, we have yet to see them that good!

rsser
31st August 2010, 07:30 PM
Great trip Steck.

And great pics too.

steck
1st September 2010, 10:57 AM
Thank for you comment, Ern.
This was a truly exhilarating trip.
We did the Simpson desert 3 years ago and it was hot, hot, hot (43 degrees:oo:) and dry.
This time it was cool - most days reached 15 degrees max.
I was so glad we didn't listen to the doom sayers who kept telling us that you can't get through with a trailer or that trailers were illegal.
In fact the trailers did it easily. We didn't attempt Big Red with the trailers attached. I think they might have got over but it looked like a long way to reverse down the dune if we didn't make it!