PDA

View Full Version : cutting security screens

dzcook
13th October 2004, 09:56 PM
ok have just got some 2nd hand security screens ( the old type metal grill in front of wire )
so dose any one have any easy ( lol ) ways of cutting the mesh neatly tried once before with angle grinder but wasnt that happy with the results would a hacksaw be better finish dont have acess to a drop cutter thingy ( cant think of the name )

could i put a metal cutting disc into my small ( all metal ) circular saw ? would this work ?

anyway any suggestions would be good
tks
david

MarkV
13th October 2004, 10:33 PM
I would suggets a hacksaw with a fine blade and file the ends to final size and to neaten up.

silentC
14th October 2004, 09:26 AM
I used to make aluminium security doors. We always cut the mesh with an angle grinder. Once it's in the frame, you can't see the edges.

GCP310
14th October 2004, 11:29 AM
i used a metal cutting blade in my jigsaw to cut a cat door in our security mesh door. make sure you put some electrical tape on the base of the jigsaw to avoid scratching the powder coating.

G

barnsey
14th October 2004, 12:22 PM
You can use a portable power saw with a metal cutting blade. Worked a treat for me. Make sure you use face and all over protection though coz you wind up with hot little bits of metal flying around ;)

Barry_White
14th October 2004, 09:13 PM
When I used to make them if they are aluminium or even steel maybe, we used to use a set of bolt cutters to cut the grills.

If they are aluminium you could also cut them on the bandsaw.