PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Wheeler

Jim Carroll
14th August 2010, 02:45 PM
Looking at building our own fifth wheeler trailer.

It is only going to be a small one 5m overall so a 2m nose cone and a 3m tray.
It will be 1950mm wide x 2m high.

Does anyone know if there is a formula or chart which can tell where the axles must go in relation to the body size.

Got to get the balance right.

wheelinround
14th August 2010, 07:01 PM
Jim check your state regulations firstly. Position of axles and balance will depend on the previous as well as being a 5th wheel type what its being towed behind. What it carrying, it use etc. Most 5th wheelers axles are set from memory and looking at google pics 2/3rd's back. Again this depends on weight distribution between vehicles.

antoni
14th August 2010, 08:42 PM
Hi just copy this may help.
this is a cut and paste from here http://www.fivestarfifthwheelers.com.au/index.htm

What vehicles can I use to tow the 2008 Flagstaff 23?

There are a number of factors that must be considered when choosing a tow vehicle, ute, pickup or cab chassis for a Flagstaff 23 fifth wheel
Sufficient torque – a petrol or diesel engine with a recommended minimum 300 nm of torque
Minimum of 2800 kg towing capacity
Gross C0ombined Mass (GCM) of the towing vehicle must be greater than the laden weight of the tow vehicle plus 2850 kg, e.g. tow vehicle GCM is 5000 kg, its tare weigh is 1500 kg has a payload of 800 kg plus 2850 kg of the fifth wheel laden, equals 4950 kg - OK (note: some vehicles do not have a stated GCM - in which case it can usually be determined by adding the Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) to the towing capacity. Contact your tow vehicle dealer if unsure.)
Payload capacity must be minimum 600kg but recommended 750kg or higher
Floor of rear tray maximum of approx 800mm if sliding hitch required and approx 900mm if not required. Note: sliding hitch required if rear axles less than approximately 1000mm from rear of cab.
Side wall of tray maximum of approx 1300mm
Examples of vehicles that may be suitable (depending on year and configuration e.g. auto/manual, 8 or 6 or 4 cylinder, 1 tonne etc) – Nissan Navara, Ford Ranger, Mazda BT50 Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol, new Holden Rodeo, Please note: It is essential that you fully research your tow vehicle for its suitability. Specifications vary and can change at short notice. We do not supply tow vehicles.

Try here..

What Tow Vehicles Can I Use (http://www.fivestarfifthwheelers.com.au/tow_vehicles.htm)

Also try some more carvan sites
Tony

Jim Carroll
14th August 2010, 10:18 PM
Tony have already done a lot of research and what I really want is a 30ft toy hauler, problem is finding a tug in my price range.

We will be towing this with an AU Falcon ute with a tray bed so now worries in this regard.

It is just we need the correct dimensions to build a trailer at the moment for the shows we do. So with a 5m or 16ft so not overly long and not a lot of weight

antoni
15th August 2010, 01:55 AM
Hi I fink if your au is one ton over the axle ,
Then it 1 ton max on the coupling and 1 to 1.5 ton per axle on the rig.
So on a 3 axles may be 5.5 ton ?
I have a F250 and were looking at one for a drag boat some van place said I could tow up
to 8.5 ton with ford F250 as a caravan fifth wheeler.
You need to work out where loads will be for your axles will end up on the rig.
There is a rating for what your ute will tow as a 5th wheeler.
Tony.
Ps I have seen a 5th caravan on a ford BA. was not to big.

jatt
15th August 2010, 09:13 AM
So far at least I have only seen utes like the AU with a lazy (3rd) axle when set up for 5th wheelers.

When I did some research months ago my conclusion was I would have to upgrade a bigger rig (4wd) from my currrent ride (Ford Tradesman 1 tonne) to make it happen.

Of course I dont know everything and am happy to be proven wrong, especially if its a legal (RTA, insurance etc) set up.

Will follow your project with great interest.