PDA

View Full Version : Pyrography & Light woods

LiliB
14th August 2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Mike
I have just asked 'Santa' for a pyrography burner and I think it's going to arrive fairly soon.

I read everywhere that woods like basswood, poplar, beech, and other northern hemisphere woods are most suitable. Apart from Tassie Oak, which is nice and light at times, I can't really think of light coloured woods that might suit.

Have you got any ideas for me? Do you supply timbers suitable for plaques. I know I saw a lot of square and round blanks when we visited in February, but I wasn't thinking of pyrography then.

Have you got any regular pyrography people whom you supply? I get the impression that the wood needs to be even grained, and fine in texture.

Cheers
LiliB
Deniliquin NSW
:U:U:U

whitewood
14th August 2010, 04:12 PM
LiliB

I don't want to hijack your thread but have you considered Paulownia. I know of 1 person who engraves portraits on timber using a burning process, I assume this is what pyrography is, and he has had success with Paulownia. A lot will depend on the sizes of the planks available whether it will work for you

John

LiliB
14th August 2010, 05:19 PM
Hi John

Thanks for the reminder about Pawlonia. PM'd you today.

Cheers
Lili

Misan
10th April 2011, 12:47 PM
HI Lilib

Your question seems to have got lost and I have only just seen it :)
My apologies. I do hope Santa brought your pyrography items !!
We do supply to people , and mostly King Billy Pine, Huon Pine or Celery top Pine as they have fine grain. Although some of the people use timber with character and work with it to produce some great work.

Apologies again for the VERY VERY late reply !

Mike & Sandra Berwick