PDA

View Full Version : I need a tool tidy

Tiger
16th August 2010, 10:41 AM
I find that I need to store my tools somewhere when I'm using them at the lathe. They normally rest on a hook behind my lathe and when I need them, I rest them at whatever spot is convenient but this is unsatisfactory as the tools roll etc. Thinking of some type of spot at hand where I can park the tools. Looked at a magnetic strip, works ok except for bowl gouges where the narrow spine is not sufficient to hold onto the strip. What do others do?

munruben
16th August 2010, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I'm in the same boat really. My lathe is on a stand and I have placed a box with my old turning tools on the bottom rails of the stand for easy access but problem being it gets covered in sawdust when I'm turning. I store my good set of Hamlets in their box in a cupboard but have to get them out every time I want to turn something which is a bit of a hassle. I guess some kind of a rack would be useful but have never got around to doing one.
How do others store their turning tools.? Would be interesting to find out, might get some ideas from them. :)

orraloon
16th August 2010, 11:40 AM
I have an old 2 drawer file cabinet with a tool rack on top. Wheel it around where I want while working at the lathe. The drawers store the chucks and other bits.
Regards
John

NeilS
16th August 2010, 11:57 AM
A few ideas are in this earlier thread started by Brendan, Show us your tool holding system (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/show-us-your-tool-holding-system-97995/).

Tiger
16th August 2010, 01:07 PM
A few ideas are in this earlier thread started by Brendan, Show us your tool holding system (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/show-us-your-tool-holding-system-97995/).

Some ideas in Brendan's thread. There are plenty of references to a more permanent storage but I'm looking for something temporary, just the tools you need for the immediate job, then you put them back.

Manuka Jock
16th August 2010, 01:13 PM
Some ideas in Brendan's thread. There are plenty of references to a more permanent storage but I'm looking for something temporary, just the tools you need for the immediate job, then you put them back.
I have a small cabinet ex. kitchen joinery about 600x600 with a few drawers in it on castors that I put an egg tray on top of ( to stop them rolling off ... the tools , not the eggs ...:wink: )

issatree
16th August 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Tiger,
My tool Holder is a bit like the 1 in " Amazing Workshop by dynoforce " in these Forums.
In the photo in the bottom R/H Corner, there is a Tool Holder there.
Mine holds 20 Woodturning Tools,& I use a Lazy Susan in it so it will spin.
Mine stands 3ft. high, has 3 legs, & has Keyways instead of just Holes.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Gil Jones
16th August 2010, 03:38 PM
This is my current tool holder, though I am planning to change it to a "lazy Susan" type that will be quickly removable.
Gil

nz_carver
16th August 2010, 04:23 PM
$75 at Kmart

Avery
16th August 2010, 09:09 PM
I made this out of a piece of ply, some pvc pipe, an old office chair base and some polyurethane glue.

It holds a dozen chisels safely. It sits next to the lathe when I need it and stands in the corner when I dont'.

NeilS
16th August 2010, 09:54 PM
.... I'm looking for something temporary, just the tools you need for the immediate job, then you put them back.

This sort of thing?

May not work so well if you are turning inboard, but works quite well when I'm turning outboard, which is most of the time.

Manuka Jock
16th August 2010, 10:01 PM
This sort of thing?

May not work so well if you are turning inboard, but works quite well when I'm turning outboard, which is most of the time.

With a tool post underneath the tray , it could sit on the outrigger when the bed is in use .
I may do the same with my DVR rigger .

NeilS
16th August 2010, 10:07 PM
With a tool post underneath the tray , it could sit on the outrigger when the bed is in use .

Good thinking, Jock.

gtwilkins
17th August 2010, 04:38 AM
I have a big plastic garbage can with a flat side that I pull up to the lathe so I can direct the stream of shavings into it, it is almost always nearly full so I just stab the tools into the shavings so they right handy.

Trevor

Tiger
17th August 2010, 12:15 PM
This sort of thing?

Yes Neil, that was what I was after, good idea and thank you to you and the others for your good ideas. The plastic bin is interesting, seem to be spending a lot of my time cleaning up shavings these days.

Sprog
17th August 2010, 02:44 PM
I find that I need to store my tools somewhere when I'm using them at the lathe.

How about something like this?

Tiger
17th August 2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Sprog, that looks good.

RETIRED
17th August 2010, 03:49 PM
Or you could go all out.:D

My Shop (http://www.endesignswoodplans.com/prod041511.htm)

Tiger
17th August 2010, 03:54 PM

Impressive. I reckon I'd need a couple of lifetimes to build all that and a lot more tools.

NeilS
18th August 2010, 10:59 AM

Some people do woodworking/woodturning.

Others do workshops...:D

Each to their own.

hughie
18th August 2010, 02:06 PM
sigh... I have a plastic bucket at the moment, very portable :2tsup:

NeilS
18th August 2010, 05:09 PM
I have a big plastic garbage can with a flat side that I pull up to the lathe so I can direct the stream of shavings into it, it is almost always nearly full so I just stab the tools into the shavings so they right handy.

Trevor

Must admit I often do the same with my long handled tools, Trevor. And, I sure hate it when I find I've punctured the garbage bag liner....:doh:

NeilS
29th March 2011, 10:06 PM
I may do the same with my DVR rigger .

Finally got around to doing something about your schmick suggestion, Jock.

Happened to have the base of an old office chair. The stem was about tool post size.

So I cut off the a section of the stem with the seat bracket attached. Then had to file off the sharp edges left by the keyway cut through the thread.

Test fitted the stem in the banjo, yes an exact fit...:)

Attached bracket to bottom of tool tray.

Here the tool tray is mounted in the outboard toolrest while inboard turning.

And, here in the inboard toolrest for outboard turning.

The banjo allows the tool tray to me maneuvered into the most convenient position.

Thanks, Jock. It works a treat.

And, shared here in case the idea is of use to anyone else.

Manuka Jock
30th March 2011, 07:34 PM
Cheers Neil , looks great mate :2tsup:
I'll knock one up meself when I get a workshop again . We've got no shortage of stuffed office chairs around this city these days :D

Harry72
30th March 2011, 07:49 PM
Its good to have tool holders but not too much flat space, if your like me it'll end up a pile of accumulated crap like all those little bits of used sandpaper and polishing clothes all coated in squiggly bits of wet wood... :(

bowl-basher
30th March 2011, 07:58 PM
I found this old stool on a council clean up and while not perfect it makes a good "ready use locker"