PDA

View Full Version : Use it or lose it?

Tikki
14th October 2004, 07:39 PM
Hi intarsia lovers
If we don't post on these forums, we might lose them! C'mon scrollers, surely some of you do intarsia. We all started somewhere, and judging from the advice dished out on this forum, there are some very talented woodies out there to help us. Post some pics of your efforts, ask some questions - I learnt by my many mistakes, 'twas pretty lonely and frustrating when no-one else around shared my interest, and I'm still learning (and still by mistakes!!). I'll start the ball rolling by sharing a project I've just finished.
Regards
Tikki

Barry_White
14th October 2004, 08:26 PM
That's brilliant Tikki. What did you colour the timber with.

Don Nethercott
14th October 2004, 11:44 PM
Bloody beaudiful!!!
Tell us exactly how you did that.

I haven't tried Intarsia yet - I'm still trying to get my bandsaw operating properly to make bandsaw boxes.

I agree there must be plenty of interested people out there interested, skilled, trying to learn, etc not only Intarsia, but also Bandsawn Boxes and marquetry.

I'm not kidding about how you did that. I know it may take a bit of typing but it would be a good way to get people interested. Especially the colouring on the leaves and rose.
Keep up the good work
Don

Barry_White
15th October 2004, 10:26 AM
Don

How is that beautiful Clarence River going. I lived in Maclean for two years actually sorry I left.

Don Nethercott
15th October 2004, 02:59 PM
Barry,
The river is still here but no fish. The salt is up well past Grafton and that's where the fish are. Story goes someone caught a blue swimmer at Copmanhurst recently (that's 70 to 80 km upstream from the mouth for those who do not know the Clarence).

Plenty of timber around here, especially Camphor Laurel. That makes woodturning much cheaper.

Call in if you are ever visiting this way.

Regards
Don

morry
15th October 2004, 06:17 PM
Tikki

Stunning work. Is a pattern available for the camelia as I have been asked by a friend?

oges
15th October 2004, 07:30 PM
Very nice
I got an intarsia pattern to do, but I keep putting off doing it, will have to get to it one day.

Tikki
15th October 2004, 09:54 PM
Hi guys

Here goes Don, will try to keep this brief

1 Design - I do my own, but good Australian designs available from Gekko Timbers, they include all instructions. Number a master and a working pattern (the master pattern makes it easy to put the jigsaw back together after cutting).

2 Decide what type of timber you are going to use for each component (I use light coloured timbers because I colour them, if you want natural timbers, choose those that will give you a good variation of light and dark). eg I choose timber with a straight grain for leaves to depict veining, I may use something with very little grain for flower petals, etc.

3 On the working pattern, mark desired grain directions and thicknesses on each pattern piece. In determining thickness, I look at each component as it appears in reality eg in the camelia - background 10mm, stems 13mm, leaves some 16mm, some 19mm, some 22mm depending on how they overlap each other, and the flower anything from say 30mm upwards.

4 If framing your intarsia, make a frame and insert a backer. For a freestanding intarsia, either trace a backer from your pattern and cut a few mm smaller, or wait until all pieces are cut and sanded and then cut backer to suit. Stain frame and varnish, stain backer.

5 Cut paper pattern pieces and glue to chosen timbers.

6 Cutting - I cut some just on the edge of the pattern, some slightly smaller so they fit the frame. A freestanding pattern can be cut on the edge. Remove patterns and number the back of each piece. (I have read some intarsia artists use the whole pattern and glue down and cut one piece, shift the pattern and cut the next. Some trace the pattern onto the timber, some cut templates from MDF and trace around them - a matter of choice and what works for you)

7 Lay all timbers in the frame and check they fit together properly - adjust if necessary - and start sanding to desired shape. I use a variety of sanders - inflatable drum, dremel, disc, solid drums on drill press to rough sand and then work through 180, 240 and 400 grits by hand.

8 Staining - I use mainly Feast Watson stains and dilute or mix to obtain the desired shades. For white I use Jo Sonja's acrylic and apply up to 3 weak washes making sure the grain is still visible. There are many brands of stain on the market, check out your hardware store. I tried a few before I settled on FW.

9 Varnishing - you can either glue the project down and varnish as one, or varnish each piece individually. There are many types of varnish available, experiment with them til you get the finish you desire.

10 Glue down to backer.

Intarsia is a very individual thing - you could give 5 people the same project to complete and each would look different in shape, colour, timbers, finish, etc.

If you want to try intarsia, scour the web and craft books to see how others do it and eventually you will settle on a method and finishe that suits you. I still buy new products in the hardware store and experiment. Each project is a challenge, very satisfying and certainly addictive!!

Happy intarsia-ing!!
Tikki

Don Nethercott
16th October 2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks for that Tikki.
I'll give it a go.
Don

Tikki
16th October 2004, 11:45 PM
Hi again

Morry - I do my own designs and make only one intarsia from each. Whoever gets my work appreciates the fact they have an original. Sorry.

Don - All the best - don't forget to show us your finished project.

Regards

Tikki

jim p
4th December 2004, 05:19 AM
can't lose it I just found it

jim p
4th December 2004, 05:36 AM
her,s one more

jim p
4th December 2004, 05:39 AM
tryed to put 2 in?????

Barry_White
4th December 2004, 09:19 AM
Nice work Jim. You should be able to post up to 5 pics in the one post as long as they don't total more than 100kb. You just have to upload them one at a time by browsing after each one has uploaded.

oges
4th December 2004, 09:23 PM
Nice work jim

jim p
5th December 2004, 02:12 AM
thanks guys I'll try the up load thing again.