PDA

View Full Version : 'insideout' turning , alternitive name ?

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 12:34 PM
Kia ora folks ,
Do any of you know of an alternative name for 'insideout' turning ?
I can't find much about it on the web , so need to broaden the search .
I'm working on an idea and want to draw on the process if I can .

cheers,
Jock

switt775
19th August 2010, 01:20 PM
I think this (http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65451) is what you're looking for. There is a link to a tutorial which might be of some use.

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the link Switt ,
I have seen that site already , but no , it is not what I am looking for .
I seek other names for 'inside out turning ' so that I can do a wider search .
I can do the basics already , I'm looking for alternatives to that so that I can take the concept sideways as it were , to another project.
cheers,
Jock

Jim Carroll
19th August 2010, 01:55 PM
Involuted Turning

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 02:18 PM
Involuted Turning
Thanks Jim ,
that brings in a bit more info

Gil Jones
19th August 2010, 02:47 PM
Hey, Jock,
Here are pics of two inside-out weed vases I turned.
I have a few articles but they are too big to post here.
Send your email address to [email protected],
and I'll shoot them to you.
Cheers,
Gil

Manuka Jock
19th August 2010, 03:00 PM
Hey, Jock,
Here are pics of two inside-out weed vases I turned.
I have a few articles but the are too big to post here.
Send your email address to [email protected],
and I'll shoot them to you.
Cheers,
Gil
Fine shapes there Gill . :2tsup:

email sent ,
cheers ,
Jock

John Lucas
20th August 2010, 07:28 AM
Some people call it Involute turning. At least I think that's what I remember. I've done quite a bit of it over the years so my ears perk up everytime I see an article or post about it. I've always called it inside-out but I think I kept an article written in the English publication where they called in involute turning.
Here is one example of my work. It's called the Tin Man. The oil can is real and is captured inside the inside out turning. This was made from Yellow Poplar and painted and textured to look like metal.

Drillit
20th August 2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Jock,
In the Australian Woodworker (Febr 2010) - issue 149 , John Swinkels sets out a nice article on inside-outside turning with reference to a bud vase exercise, that I successfully completed. So far as I can see there is no reason why the principles cant be applied more widely or to suit. Hope this helps, Drillit.

Sawdust Maker
20th August 2010, 12:45 PM
There was also an article in More Woodturning a little while ago (say 5 years)
If you want it I can see if I can find it for you

Manuka Jock
20th August 2010, 12:54 PM
Hi Jock,
In the Australian Woodworker (Febr 2010) - issue 149 , John Swinkels sets out a nice article on inside-outside turning with reference to a bud vase exercise, that I successfully completed. So far as I can see there is no reason why the principles cant be applied more widely or to suit. Hope this helps, Drillit.
Cheers Drillit .

Manuka Jock
20th August 2010, 01:26 PM
There was also an article in More Woodturning a little while ago (say 5 years)
If you want it I can see if I can find it for you

If it is an innovative chucking style , method or outcome , yes , thanks ,
But if it is all basic introductory stuff , thanks but no thanks , I'm getting knee deep in those ones already :D

cheers,
Jock

joe greiner
20th August 2010, 08:34 PM
There's an article in American Woodturner of February 2010, on using diamond-shaped elements (vs. square). The author, Peter Exton, calls it "reverse turning." Depending on how the pieces are assembled, he winds up with 3, 6, or 9 parts to the final work.

There are about 30 AAW members in NZ. I have no idea where Otepoti is, so I can't direct you to any of them for reference. But if that article is one of the ones Gil sends, it doesn't matter.

On-line viewing of past AW's is restricted to AAW members, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Joe

Manuka Jock
20th August 2010, 08:43 PM
There's an article in American Woodturner of February 2010, on using diamond-shaped elements (vs. square). The author, Peter Exton, calls it "reverse turning." Depending on how the pieces are assembled, he winds up with 3, 6, or 9 parts to the final work.

There are about 30 AAW members in NZ. I have no idea where Otepoti is, so I can't direct you to any of them for reference. But if that article is one of the ones Gil sends, it doesn't matter.

On-line viewing of past AW's is restricted to AAW members, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Joe

Joe , Otepoti is also known as Dunedin , NZ that is , not FL :U

I'll follow up 'reverse turning' and see of I can find it. The three sided bit sounds great.
What I have in mind will not end up being a 'hollow form' style piece as is the norm.
My end result will , hopefully , be very different, a parts of a larger project :)

Jock

joe greiner
20th August 2010, 09:37 PM
You know Florida's geography better than I know New Zealand's.:-

In any event, Google ["peter exton" "reverse turning"] just got a few hits, including videos.

Cheers,
Joe

Manuka Jock
20th August 2010, 09:47 PM
You know Florida's geography better than I know New Zealand's.:-

In any event, Google ["peter exton" "reverse turning"] just got a few hits, including videos.

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks mate :)

dogcatcher
21st August 2010, 12:56 PM
About half way down the page on this link. Articles (http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/woodturningarticles.asp)

there is a PDF file with basic instructions.

Manuka Jock
21st August 2010, 01:14 PM
About half way down the page on this link. Articles (http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/woodturningarticles.asp)

there is a PDF file with basic instructions.

dogcatcher,
I appreciate your input :) but I am not seeking basic instructions for inside out woodturning .

Jock