PDA

View Full Version : Qld Maple plantation

MAPLEMAN
20th August 2010, 07:48 AM
Qld Maple was planted at gadgarra state forest(nth qld),in the 1930's,in almost pure stands(some exotics/natives were planted in and around them).Very little thinning/or silvicultural work was done to these plantations,hence growth rates were rather poor.In areas where underplantings were performed,the trees(maple) grew much better.Photo is a good idea of average size attained.:2tsup:

Toymaker Len
28th August 2010, 06:21 PM
How do you rate the quality of the timber ?

MAPLEMAN
2nd September 2010, 10:17 PM
How do you rate the quality of the timber ?
A little bit softer than paddock grown trees,however colour was good and reasonably well figured.Tension within the logs was high though,making milling a little tricky!:2tsup:

Bob Whitworth
18th March 2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, I'm most curious as I have some 20 year old plantations of Qld Maple. I wasn't to pleased to hear that they have some tention problems in sawing up. This is also a serious problem in eucalyptus platantions but I don't think so for Hoop Pine.

cookie48
19th March 2011, 11:26 PM
May I ask what tention problems are please?

Bob Whitworth
21st March 2011, 02:52 PM
This means that when the log is sawn, instead of the boards coming out straight as one would hope, they bend as they are being cut from the log. This is a very serious problem in especially young and rather small trees in eucalyptus plantations. I don't like it being a problem with Maple as well. Some people think that the problem can be reduced at least a bit by letting the log lie for a month or so. Not only does the board come out bent which can also be very bent, but the remaining log can also bend to increase the problem.

cookie48
21st March 2011, 10:58 PM
Bob.
Thanks for the answer. I understand now.

weisyboy
12th August 2012, 10:03 PM
log tension can be a problem, especially on a mobile saw.

a good benchman and tailor can cut streight boards from any log, you just have to cut your centers and spring the flitch properly.

pine springs in where hardwood springs out, pine has verry little tension especialy hoop.

got any pics of the timber?