PDA

View Full Version : Don't Guy's Me

Bushrat
15th October 2004, 10:09 AM
Fellow Woodies.
PLease, oh please keep the American crap where it belongs, waaaay over there.
Believe it or not, women, ladies, shielas, daughters, the wife or SWMBO don't have a willie so they can't be a 'GUY'. My missus told me she didn't want one anyway- preferred to use her brain to think :cool:
They are so dumb that instructions are needed to show which way is the front- thats for base ball caps, don't know when to yell at the footy- need cheer leaders for that, can't find any grass so they chew gum, too broke to buy socks for the joggers, must add Bundaberg Rum to their Coke to make it half decent to drink and are so confused they think they live on top of the world. :rolleyes:
So let's keep Australia true blue
Bloody oath Mate
See ya later mate
Bushie :p

jackiew
15th October 2004, 11:41 AM
don't have any particular objection to being called a Guy. I often hear one woman say to a group of women "come on guys ...." and similar.

its better than being called a Duck in a midlands accent ( Dook ) ... which is the conventional form of greeting in the East Midlands ( as in "can I help you dook" ).

silentC
15th October 2004, 12:50 PM
Better 'Guy' than 'Dude'.

Hey dude, don't call me dude.

bitingmidge
15th October 2004, 02:37 PM
Don't be a jerk, dude..... (sigh!)

I believe it is perfectly acceptable in Australia to call a girl a guy, but it is definitely not acceptable to call a bloke a guy.

Calling a girl a guy is an ironic gesture designed to cast aspertions (sp?) on the very word itself, and it's use in that form would no doubt horrify our Seppo cousins, particularly of the masculine variety, and for that reason should be encouraged.

A bit like calling a bloke a sheila really.

"Guy" is such an effeminate description anyway, and if you don't believe that, ask yourself why masculine persons need to be described as "tough guys"?

When you meet a bloke, there is no need for further clarification.

Cheers,
Dr P.
monolinguist
:D :D :D

HappyHammer
15th October 2004, 03:08 PM
There are exceptions when dude is OK like in Dumb and Dumber

"What's mine say?"
"Dude"
"What's mine say?"

Iain
15th October 2004, 03:22 PM
It was common practice to put a 'Y' on the end of a surname, eg, Smithy, Jonesy etc, except for me mate Garry Love who we just called 'Gaz'. :p
Bastard is a recognised term of endearment amongst males here............let the Yanks figure that one out!

Tikki
15th October 2004, 03:27 PM
Do we in Australia have a politically correct term we use to collectively address both sexes?
To a woman, "guys" is somewhat masculine, but your alternative is to call us "MATE"! Are you suggesting to males you are homosexual, or to females you are/expressing your desire to be, their sexual partner? Your wife (and I hope for her sake) is your only true "mate". I don't even know you!
I'm with the Yanks on this one guys! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

silentC
15th October 2004, 03:35 PM
Do we in Australia have a politically correct term we use to collectively address both sexes?
Youse

bitingmidge
15th October 2004, 03:35 PM

Yep.

Pauline Hansen used it all the time.

"Strayens"

Pronounced Stray-enns.

As in "wrall strayens".

P :D

E. maculata
15th October 2004, 03:39 PM
Wonder if they worried bout this sorta evolving language stuff in days of yore :rolleyes: , don't worry too much about it the masses will use what we feel is appropriate to us.
thats my take on it, Guys, Fellas, Buds, Posse, Gang, Comrades, Boys, Lads, Youse all, Peoples, Fellow Aussies, Cobbas, Mate, Partner......................

as long as we understand one another, it's only vernacular anyhows. :D

Iain
15th October 2004, 03:42 PM
In addition to:
Corpse (15 minutes past the hour)
Harps (30 minutes past the hour)
Chair congeal (a nursery rhymme)
Poor old Pauline, retired fish n chip queen.
Bye Yersal.

reeves
15th October 2004, 03:42 PM
sounds way too pedantic to me mate..., no one on the web ever has any luck trying to dictate how others should address them. all web use is terminology hell, in that everyone has their own slant on terminology issues..

Guys is a general term sof affection i would think....used the world over

personally i just try dear all...!or greeting fellow bipeds.....

or if u dont like it, kiss my chubby butt dude..!

as far as true blue, fair dinkum etc, its all just wank.
If people wanna use those terms fine, if they dont, then fine.

I find that fake psudeo australian culture more disturbing than the use of the guy word. We are after all a bunch of feral white people with a cultural history not only going back just over 200 years but one that is borrowed form England and America..

so as a far as being True BLue, i'd rather root skippy !

True blue is actually an amercian patriotic term...check this site

http://trueblue.flatratetech.com/index.shtml

so get yr facts atraight and learn about the reality mate

I perfer it if people are allowed to make their own choices rather than follow some fascist fantasy of australian speech patterns

so as far as this kind of dialogue goes, i for one am happier discussing wood related issues but as a long term web user i just cant help making my 2 bits worth know...

thanks guys and grrrrrrls...

;-)

HappyHammer
15th October 2004, 03:56 PM
I agree partly with reeves, who gives a , all this pandering to mostly non-existent sensibilities is very annoying, if you don't like it avoid it, if you can't avoid it stop and think about whether your objection is an attempt to censor people who mostly intend no disrespect...

Down with being PC for the sake of it.

That should get 'em going:D

vsquizz
15th October 2004, 04:10 PM
Bloke down the local shop always call me Chief!

Iain
15th October 2004, 04:15 PM
Be sure to pick the pretty one :D :D

bitingmidge
15th October 2004, 04:24 PM
Down with being PC for the sake of it.

How very Mac!

I thought we wuz being anti-PC! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Reeves old son, you are dead-set up there with you summation about fake pseudo Australian culture. (Fellers, let's all send a big cheerio to Macca this Sundy hay?)

I think there's a difference between protection of one's culture, (and yes ours is predominantly British, so what(?) that's a matter of historical accuracy), and blatantly adopting another just 'cause the cops and bad guys on the tele use comic book words.

Also historically our relationships with the US at a grass-roots level have been at best awkward, and I have no problems with our evolved language reflecting that. (In a caring way of course!)

There is I think a difference between allowing one's language to evolve, and one in which you just roll over and become seduced, or perhaps more correctly, invaded by foreign influences which are of no relevance to our own culture.

Witness some Australian "home boys" in skate gear straight out of an LA ghetto, and trying to be tough "African American Emulators" and tell me they haven't lost their own cultural plot!!

At the end of the day, it's better to be a smart*rse than a wise guy!
Cheers,

P
(Nice Guy)
:D :D :D :D

HappyHammer
15th October 2004, 04:26 PM
Bloke down the local shop always call me Chief!
Bloke at my local shop calls me Captain.

No I don't fly or captain a boat except my tinnie.:D

Grunt
15th October 2004, 04:38 PM
Youse

I believe the correct term is Youse Guys.

reeves
15th October 2004, 05:23 PM
Iian, i'll take the one on the left with the big pouch....;-)

boing boing whoop

BTW thanks for the creds Biting midge mountain creek man, i agree with u, the only thing that really craps me off is some gumtree homeboy telling me how i should be talking, are they 'shouldists ' ?

i kinda like macca on sunday mornings, he's a pretty earnest fella

cheeeers

smartarse saying

" there is no paranoia anymore, it's all true "

kiwigeo
15th October 2004, 11:50 PM
Youse
"Ewes" in NZ

Kev Y.
17th October 2004, 09:14 PM
There are exceptions when dude is OK like in Dumb and Dumber

"What's mine say?"
"Dude"
"What's mine say?"

HappyHammer.. BUUUUZZZZ wrong!

movie "DUDe where's my car"

Thanks GUY's :cool: :p

TOMARTOM
18th October 2004, 01:20 AM
I am not entirely sure but isn't a dude a reference to a camels you now, that thing, well all male camels have one.. and no it's not the hump (or two)

scooter
18th October 2004, 01:36 AM
W..................

as long as we understand one another, it's only vernacular anyhows. :D

As in, was playing cricket with the kids and accidentally got hit in the vernaculars.......

aaaaarrrrggghhhhffffffuuuukkkkkkttttthhhhhhaaaattttthhhhhuurrrrtttt.

Cheers.....Sean

kiwigeo
18th October 2004, 03:27 AM
As in, was playing cricket with the kids and accidentally got hit in the vernaculars.......

Cheers.....Sean
Sounds like your kid is a gun bowler...another Shane Warne in the making.

Kev Y.
18th October 2004, 04:18 AM

Cheers.....Sean

This one slipped past the keeper :eek: :eek: :eek:

out for six

kiwigeo
18th October 2004, 06:02 AM
This one slipped past the keeper :eek: :eek: :eek:

out for six
Painful way to save a few bucks on a vasectomy...:)

HappyHammer
18th October 2004, 12:57 PM
HappyHammer.. BUUUUZZZZ wrong!

movie "DUDe where's my car"

Thanks GUY's :cool: :p
Quite right good to see we have an authority on trashy movies:D

One of my favourites by the way:o

adrian
21st October 2004, 10:32 AM
If you want to be politically correct it's not WOMEN

It is now WOMYN

Men have now officially been removed from women.

Kev Y.
21st October 2004, 10:39 AM
Men have now officially been removed from women.

From experience, the removal of MEN from WOMYN is a painful and costly exercise!