PDA

View Full Version : The Family Handyman

bitingmidge
15th October 2004, 11:31 AM
Today I received a copy of "The Family Handyman" magazine in the mail.

This was a bit of a blow to the old ego, because I'm used to getting all sorts of full blown grown-up trade mags!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I started to read the bumpfff to see what it was all about, and found in the covering letter:

1) The magazine has now gone monthly, and I will receive exactly the number of issues I paid for (I already have one without paying anything, so am quite confused!)

2) My subscription will expire sooner, but I will receive notification in writing prior to it expiring (I haven't got a letter so guess I'm going to get another one next month).

3) They are pleased to prove me with my second complimentary issue (the first one must have been knocked off 'cause I didn't receive it). Of course this gives me a dilemma; if I complain, they may find that I'm not a subscriber!

4) If I DON'T want to receive the magazine please let them know. (I'm happy to keep receiving it at my current subscription rate.)

Very curious.

Anyway, the magazine has been around for a while apparently, and seems to be pretty much chocked full of ads, as well as a modicum of useful information about the sort of stuff that one finds on this (renovation) forum.

In fact it looks to me as though the editor just logs on, and draws on the latest threads for inspiration! If I'm even half right Susan, log on and say hello!

This issue covers fence building, rehanging double-hung windows(!), painting, building a recycled timber coffee table (looks suspiciously like Ozwinner's latest), building boards, home theatres, a jigsaw shoot-out, and in the web pages column (called webfeat) even a link to this forum!!

So there you have it...I won't be subscribing, but I'm happy enough for them to keep turning up in the mail. It's worth a look for those who want info on general handy stuff rather than pure woodwork, more details at http://www.familyhandyman.com.au

And before you ask, no, I don't have any shares in Reader's Digest Publications, and no, I've never ever ever returned one of their sweepstake lottery you have won a prize vouchers! They just got a bit more exposure out of their mailout than the one subscription they were shooting for I guess!

Cheers,

P :cool:

vsquizz
15th October 2004, 11:54 AM
Dear Mr Midge, we at Bmmppffy publications are very excited to announce you have a won a magnificent prize in our save the world competitions. Your name has been drawn from a zillion others and placed in a exclusive draw for the next round of totally brilliant prizes. To enter just fill out the form below along with your details so we can put you into 40,000 databases round the world and bombard you with our excellent marketing garbage.

Please enclose a cheque or money order for $25.00 to collect your excellent prize and also note you will be in the running for a special bonus prize only available for our most valued customers. Additionally if you return this form within 5 days you will be eligible for a special bonus prize valued at $59.95 but actually made in china for $3.50.

Good Luck and don't forget to include an E-mail address so we can let you immediatley about your prize.

Signed Manager
Bmmppffy publications
(you wont find us in the phone book)

E. maculata
15th October 2004, 12:01 PM
Do you mean I've been sitting waiting for the maildude to deliver my new "special bonus prize valued at $59.95" for ought???.......I feel sooooo cheap now :o

jackiew
15th October 2004, 12:06 PM
one magazine has already sent me two reminders to renew my subscription which doesn't expire until January ( and unless I'm missing something we're only half way through October at the moment ).

some magazines seem to have the most disorganised record keeping ... I think my best result is about 6 copies of a magazine after cancelling my subscription.

silentC
15th October 2004, 12:11 PM
These mags and the TV shows that go with them are just a thinly-veiled marketing ploy to get Joe Punter to buy all these poxy tools and DIY publications that he'll either never use or that will break on the first real attempt to use them.

Some people just should leave it to the professionals, or the semi-professionals, or even just the ones who have a clue. It's the 'buy this tool, buy this book and you'll be a pro in no time' mantra that I hate. I can just see all these chair-bound pointy-headed types racing off to the nearest Bunnings and buying a hammer and a cordless drill and the latest 'The Family Handyman' then racing home and trying to hang a new front gate. When it falls off and kills some innocent passerby or their dog, is 'The Family Handyman' going to take the rap? No, of course not.

I mean, just the fact that the name of that magazine would attract a certain type of person is enough to call for it to be banned. I bet it was typeset on a Macintosh too.

bitingmidge
15th October 2004, 12:14 PM
one magazine has already sent me two reminders to renew my subscription which doesn't expire until January ( and unless I'm missing something we're only half way through October at the moment ).

One of my favourites are the trade mags, and I have probably half a dozen "subscriptions". They are basically advertorials, but useful enough.

I get invoices and renewal notices for a few months, then polite reminders that my subs are well overdue, followed by death threats, then a letter thanking me for resubscribing for the next two and a half thousand years.

I have actually tried to stop a couple of them coming, but my protests only ended in having my subscription extended. Usually first issue of the new period contains something worth knowing...how does that work???

Cheers,

P :D

Rocker
15th October 2004, 12:22 PM
Midge,
Don't knock Readers' Digest too much. They publish American Woodworker, who were kind enough to pay me US$750 for my box-joint jig article, which only took me a day or so to write and which I have been giving away to forum members for free. Once they found out I was an Aussie, though, they knocked back my Morticing jig article :(

Rocker

johnmc
15th October 2004, 12:23 PM
The TV shows are the worst - especially the "we've only got 12 hours to do the renovation!" shows.

Having done some major building and renovation work over the years, every time I see them put up new plasterboard, plaster it and paint it all in less than 12 hours I can't help laughing my **** off.

silentC
15th October 2004, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't you love to go back and have a look at some of those jobs 12 months later?

bitingmidge
15th October 2004, 12:33 PM
By Jingo's Silent, you're a hard marker!! :D

These mags and the TV shows that go with them are just a thinly-veiled marketing ploy to get Joe Punter to buy all these poxy tools and DIY publications that he'll either never use or that will break on the first real attempt to use them. .
In general I'd have to agree....the "poxy tool" that won the jigsaw shootout was the Festool PS 300EQ (which did grab my attention I must admit). Do Festo come with a guarantee? :D :D :D

Some people just should leave it to the professionals, or the semi-professionals, or even just the ones who have a clue. It's the 'buy this tool, buy this book and you'll be a pro in no time' mantra that I hate. I can just see all these chair-bound pointy-headed types racing off to the nearest Bunnings and buying a hammer and a cordless drill and the latest 'The Family Handyman' then racing home and trying to hang a new front gate. When it falls off and kills some innocent passerby or their dog, is 'The Family Handyman' going to take the rap? No, of course not.

If I may quote from the disclaimer (which I thought was pretty cool, if not strictly correct in its interpretation of the limit of liability! :D )
In the worlds finest print:
"All do-it-yourself activities involve a degree of risk. Skills materials, tools, and site conditions vary widely.....(snip..a whole lot more bummmf followed by the ultimate....)..Reader's Digest accepts no liability above the purchase price of the magazine".....

but, but, but ...mine was FREE!!!

On the other hand, TRUE tradies will get a better margin for fixing botched handyman jobs, so everybody wins....even the gene pool if the accident you fear results in a terminal event.

I mean, just the fact that the name of that magazine would attract a certain type of person is enough to call for it to be banned.
Now to be fair it is subtitled "Home Improvement Essentials" and it does have "124 Renovation Solutions" on the cover.

No. Why be fair? Your comment pretty much reflect what I thought when it arrived! Big Cringe Factor!! :D

I bet it was typeset on a Macintosh too.

OUch!! Some of it is pretty well laid out, so you could well be right!

Cheers,

P :D :D

johnmc
15th October 2004, 12:35 PM
Its obviously all done for the entertainment value. Maybe they do a proper job later to avoid getting sued when their shoddy work falls apart.

vsquizz
15th October 2004, 12:36 PM
The TV shows are the worst - especially the "we've only got 12 hours to do the renovation!" shows.

Having done some major building and renovation work over the years, every time I see them put up new plasterboard, plaster it and paint it all in less than 12 hours I can't help laughing my **** off.
A mate of mine has family in the blue mountains. They live next door to a house which had one of these shows come round and do the makeover. They told my mate that six months after the "makeover" the whole thing had to be re-done properly. Took a week to fix all the TV programs crap. They said the painting was the worst (no prep).

The magazines are just popularised rubbish in many (but not all) cases. I get particularly annoyed to buy a supposedly Australian Magazine to find out its all american. They couldn't even forge some good Australian Letters to "Readers Writes" section.

Anyway Midge, have you filled out and returned your prize winning coupon yet. Don't want to miss out on all that lovely information they might send you.

Cheers

silentC
15th October 2004, 12:36 PM
By Jingo's Silent, your a hard marker!!
I wouldn't normally do this but, don't you mean you're a hard marker?

:D :D

Yes I know, get back to work.... :(

silentC
15th October 2004, 12:39 PM
Its obviously all done for the entertainment value. Maybe they do a proper job later to avoid getting sued when their shoddy work falls apart.
Either that or they really spend more time than they let on.

bitingmidge
15th October 2004, 12:41 PM
Midge,
Don't knock Readers' Digest too much. Once they found out I was an Aussie, though, they knocked back my Morticing jig article :(

OK, not TOO much!!

As I said initially, the magazine is worth a look!

I hope they don't confuse my positive review of the mag, :D with the good natured digs at some of their other activities....(like knocking back Rocker; - Bastards!!!)

Cheers,

P
(my :D :D

bitingmidge
15th October 2004, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't normally do this but, don't you mean you're a hard marker?

:D :D

Yes I know, get back to work.... :(

Double OUCH!!!

:D :D :D

P

vsquizz
15th October 2004, 12:46 PM
When was the last time you saw a glossy mag openly criticise a product?

I only know of one (a boating mag) but there is generally too much advertising money riding on telling the real truth.

Stephen H
16th October 2004, 04:29 PM
I bought a few of the early issues of the Family Handyman when it was construction oriented (albeit recycled from a sister publication in the US), but it quickly changed into a more general mag - gardening articles, tuning the lawnmower etc.

Though they were honest enough to acknowledge the change of direction after they received a couple of complaints in the letters column.

Now I donīt even bother flipping through it at the newsagency.

Sturdee
16th October 2004, 05:28 PM
As I said initially, the magazine is worth a look!

Based on this advice I borrowed a few copies of the mag from the library to see what this is all about. All I can say I shouldn't have bothered.

Peter.

barnsey
16th October 2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks Sturdee

I was similarly interested but you've saved me the time

Jamie

bitingmidge
16th October 2004, 06:08 PM
Based on this advice I borrowed a few copies of the mag from the library to see what this is all about. All I can say I shouldn't have bothered..

Fair enough! I guess I was really thinking of the ummm... less experienced among us! :p Which is why I actually said "It's worth a look for those who want info on general handy stuff rather than pure woodwork"

Never mind, a trip to the library is always fun! :D

. . . .but it quickly changed into a more general mag - gardening articles, tuning the lawnmower etc.

That's why it reminded me of here as well!!! Go looking for an answer on how to set up a band saw, and come away with all the info you'll ever need on making a foil beanie!

Cheers,
:D :D :D

P (Currently finding a clearer way to communicate!) :D

Sturdee
16th October 2004, 07:41 PM
Never mind, a trip to the library is always fun!

I agree, I regularly visit libraries to see what new goodies they bought just for me to read. :D :D :D

The gem I picked up earlier this week was " Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Choosing & Installing Hardware " 200 plus pages with lots of pictures which cost them $ 42. :eek: Interesting reading worth borrowing but not worth buying.

So yes trips to the library are always fun and most of the time worthwile. :D

Peter.

tony2096
17th October 2004, 11:34 AM
I quite like the magazine.

Admittedly I enjoyed it more when it was more focused on construction projects whereas now it has a few general articles like washing machine reviews.

What I like is the detail it goes into: eg I'm about to tackle a garden fence for the first time and they've had a couple of articles on this topic taking you through every step. Also they're quite good at showing jigs etc with different parts in bright, contrasting colours so you can easily see what they're talking about.

It isn't a mag for the experts (some of the gurus on this site probably wouldn't get much out of it!) but I think it's not bad for beginners. The advertorials are obviously biased towards certian products, but they can still contain snippets of useful advice.

Tony

Marc
17th October 2004, 09:21 PM
No Frill Magazines make their money from advertising, the price on the cover is wishful thinking, just like the local paper that states it is worth $1.00 .

A friend of mine published for years a magazine full of ads and here and there some interviews, a bit of art, food and travel all done by himself, printed in a backyard printer shop on second best paper. He use to ask for permission to the newsagencies to place it with the other mags for free. It was priced realy low and sold well. It was a fun way to make a buck.