PDA

View Full Version : VJ Sailing Skiff - Vintage Timber VJ starting at $100 no reserve

SimonP
23rd August 2010, 08:05 PM
VJ Sailing Skiff - Vintage Timber VJ - eBay, Sail, Boats, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 29-Aug-10 18:44:14 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180551008239&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123)

Rik
24th August 2010, 01:50 AM
What a sweet looking little skiff. If one group of my neighbours, (I live in a block of four) weren't soulless robots, I'd have that sitting under a cover, under a tree, in my yard in a heartbeat.

Boatmik
25th August 2010, 12:20 PM
I hope someone who cares about it gets it! It is really now a bit of yachting history.

Rik
26th August 2010, 08:48 AM
So how hard do you think it would it be to reinforce the slides for the leaning planks so that she might be safer if the wind picked up a bit, and do you think it's likely to need a lot of running repairs if you did take it out regularly?

Boatmik
26th August 2010, 09:11 AM
So how hard do you think it would it be to reinforce the slides for the leaning planks so that she might be safer if the wind picked up a bit, and do you think it's likely to need a lot of running repairs if you did take it out regularly?

It is hard to know if running repairs will be needed on any boat.

Depends on the general condition. Usually there is not too much to go wrong so failures end up being occasional.

I can't be sure about the leaning plank problems. Might be as simple as redrilling the holes they mount into oversize, filling with epoxy and redrilling. Or something more elaborate might be necessary.

If it has been sailed recently, that is a good sign. But there is a possibility that quite a bit of stuff could be worn out. The main cost is the sails. If there are worn out fittings it might be possible to simplify things quite a bit to keep the necessary budget down. But considering the boat itself is so cheap, to spend 500 or 1000 dollars on her is not excessive.

Michael

SimonP
26th August 2010, 07:27 PM
I hope someone who cares about it gets it! It is really now a bit of yachting history.

My first sail ever was as an eight year old with a friend in a VJ on a weed-infested Albert Park lake in Melbourne. Our centreboard snagged, we capsized and I came up holding on to a drowned bloated dog.
I'm happy to forget it's part in my yachting history! (they were great boats for their day though)