PDA

View Full Version : Tick another one Finished

wheelinround
24th August 2010, 06:03 PM
This was started last summer I have had time enough to ponder the finial, base, and lid.

Main body is segmented (4 bits ) Spalted English Oak, Lid is English Oak also, Base is Jarrah as is finial and top ring, stem is Jacaranda.
Height base to top of finial 220, dia 100.

Took another photo indoors in the wifes sewing room.

Ad de Crom
24th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Ray, I turned loads of oak, but never spalted oak.
Man that looks great. By seeing the picture my first thought was seeing a huge thing.
But it isn't not so huge, but it looks okay for me, despite a pointed finial are not my favorite finial, it's just a matter of taste.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
24th August 2010, 06:39 PM
Interesting work there Ray. The spalted timber sure adds to the effect:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just a couple of points :

#The base, IMHO, would have been better served if the Oak had been flared out to blend in with the base.At the moment it looks as though the continer will topple off.

# The finial would have looked better with one long taper. Again, just my opinion.

Woodwould
24th August 2010, 07:56 PM
Tick! :thyel:

hughie
25th August 2010, 12:01 AM
I've got a few of those Ray :U Nice to see your getting through yours. Tend to agree with Artme about the flair at the bottom. But other wise lookin good :2tsup:

wheelinround
25th August 2010, 09:06 AM
I have to thank Cornucopia for the hints on the finish for the Oak :2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks for the comments.

The base is the same dia as the Jarrah top bit, the finial is one of the pieces I took time to decide on (well all of it really) I tried looking at it with a wider base :no: taller finial would look good but I would have to change the lid. This could still happen as personally its the part I don't like.

Nai84
25th August 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi Wheelinround

I think it looks f@#$&^% fantastic i cant wait until i am able to turn things like that really NICE job :2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers Nai

Allan at Wallan
25th August 2010, 08:06 PM
The second photo is a spalted pumpkin ... I think.

On reflection it is not such a bad job ... good to see
you finally finished it Ray.:2tsup:

Allan

Sawdust Maker
25th August 2010, 10:23 PM
Ray

can you bring it on Sunday?

we'll do a critique then to really deflate your ego :p

No seriously I'd like to look at it in the flesh - to be candid I'm not sure I like it but sometimes piccies don't do justice!

wheelinround
26th August 2010, 09:09 AM
Ray

can you bring it on Sunday?

we'll do a critique then to really deflate your ego :p

No seriously I'd like to look at it in the flesh - to be candid I'm not sure I like it but sometimes piccies don't do justice!

Nick in a word NO only as its going into the display at Penrith show Not for judging it had heaps of that at OTGA yesterday :roll:. Otherwise Jchappo saw it yesterday he can varify how bad it is.